• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France 2020 | Stage 12 (Chauvigny - Sarran, 218 km)

Page 14 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
On another note, one thing I truly don't understand is, why did all those guys who fancied there chances to win and attacked on those two final climbs not just do that at the beginning of the stage? I mean, eventually they did get their chance to compete for the stage win, but they were really lucky some teams didn't let the break go. It's so weird that so many riders think they can win here yet at the beginning they didn't show any interest in actually working towards that.

can’t really blame the team. Oss and Poestlberger kept a strong break on a leash on all day. Schachmann was among the strongest. Sagan just didn’t have it.
I don't think you can say "Sagan didn'T have it" either though... Looking at the results, he was the only rider in the peloton for Bora. You can't expect him to go with Hirschi. If the team was stronger, they may have contested for 2nd. But they are missing Mühlberger, Pöstlberger and Oss did a lot of work, Schachmann was in the late break. Kämna did also attack, maybe they should have kept him back with Sagan to ride. But then again, one rider is surely not enough.

Reactions: Sandisfan
This guy really is better than I expected. Still dont see him as a GC-contender long term, but the guy can win so many freaking races and he has the perfect profile for a Liege-winner and can probably win many 1 week stage races as well. But he should be very competitive in race like Strade, Amstel, Liege, E-3, San Sebastian, Canada, probably Lombardia and Flanders as well?

Maybe M-SR also if the dice fall lucky with his downhill skills. Probably not solo, but in the right, small group his sprint could be enough.

On another note, one thing I truly don't understand is, why did all those guys who fancied there chances to win and attacked on those two final climbs not just do that at the beginning of the stage? I mean, eventually they did get their chance to compete for the stage win, but they were really lucky some teams didn't let the break go. It's so weird that so many riders think they can win here yet at the beginning they didn't show any interest in actually working towards that.

I think Sagan made it impossible for others to get across because DQS wouldn’t let him go. Then once he’d tried and failed everyone else knew Bora would control the existing break

Bora will be with wet powder
Because they did not have to. Bore showed to much of interest.

See my signature. :)

Wasn't there an unanimous consensus here that Sunweb's Tour team was crap? :rolleyes:
More that by leaving Matthews out they had cut off their own path to victory in a number of stages.

But in fairness to them, I think today was one of those stages, and I don't think that any of us were prepared for just how good Hirschi has been in this Tour. So Sunweb's staff knew something we didn't. Who knew?

Now bring on the Puy Mary, I can watch the stage from the beginning and I have been seeing forward to that since the route got unveiled. Think that will be a great stage before the real mountains, should be really fast like this one (at least until we get a break).

TRENDING THREADS