• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France 2020 | Stage 12 (Chauvigny - Sarran, 218 km)

Page 15 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I think Sunweb raced the last 2 climbs harder than Bora expected anyone to. Their tactics weren't completely out there, it was just unlucky for them that such a big group got up the road in the last 20km.
If not Sunweb it was pretty sure Alaph will go for it at the end and a few others will join the party. In that terrain and with JV taking the rest day peloton had very little chance to bring the strongest back.

Reactions: search
If not Sunweb it was pretty sure Alaph will go for it at the end and a few others will join the party. In that terrain and with JV taking the rest day peloton had very little chance to bring the strongest back.
Right. As I said earlier in the thread, Bora's bet today was that the numbers in the break would be kept to a minimum. Unfortunately for them, there were 12 up the road, and they didn't have numbers in the bunch to chase and Schachmann being in the break, (close enough to think he might have a chance for the stage win, but not really) ended up hurting them; one less rider to chase, one more body taking up points ahead of Sagan.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I mean, Bol would probably have won Stage 5 had Van Aert not chosen that day to start sprinting, and may yet pull off a win in Paris. Plus that I doubt whether Matthews would have done better on those stages, Stage 7 is the only day so far where they would have been better off with him than Bol.
They could have absolutely brought both of them. Matthews could win into Lyon or Champagnole; Bol won't be anywhere for the rest of this Tour until the Champs Elysees.

Now, I must confess, that I don't know which rider Sunweb should have left out to bring Matthews, nor if he would have been willing to do the domestique duties on certain stages that it would have required, so that may be why he wasn't brought.

if alaphilipe had the luxury of saving the attack to the last cat 2 climb, I can't think of 5 riders that could, and if, then would want to keep up with him . Definitely Hirschi, maybe van Aert and maybe one or two guys a can't think of now but are there, and that would be it. There's 15 points for 6th place. Quite enough and actually it could mean, that sagan is back in green by the end of stage 14. And in the end, the competition for green me be decided by less then ten points.

TRENDING THREADS