• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France 2020 | Stage 14 (Clermont-Ferrand - Lyon, 194 km)

Page 18 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
True, but he was able to hold it together and win. Highlight of his career.
It was, but I feel bad for him that he was basically singled out as a joke of a GPM winner that necessitated revamping the format. I'd say he's more of a legit King of the Mountains than some who've won GT GPMs in the last 20 years. There are a few GPM riders who are similar in level to him since - Nicolas Edet, Simon Clarke, Matt Lloyd, Omar Fraile - while he's more of a climber than Fabian Wegmann or Luís León Sánchez (who is a reasonable enough climber with better results overall obviously, but is more of an all-terrain guy and not somebody you'd call real KOM fodder but precisely the kind of rider the KOM was instituted to give the climbers something to do to fight against), and apart from two short bursts he's more of a climber than Thomas Voeckler, and more prominent than Geoffrey Bouchard. Anthony Charteau is not the calibre of KOM of the years preceding him - Rasmussen, Soler, Kohl, Pellizotti being the original winners of those awards (we know about the cleanup operation of cycling 2006-8 affecting 75% of those) - but simultaneously he is not the joke of a rider he was made out to be and I felt it unfair that Prudhomme basically justified changing the KOM not by recognising the flaws in the current system relative to the designs he was presenting, but by basically saying Charteau was a joke.

It was, but I feel bad for him that he was basically singled out as a joke of a GPM winner that necessitated revamping the format. I'd say he's more of a legit King of the Mountains than some who've won GT GPMs in the last 20 years. There are a few GPM riders who are similar in level to him since - Nicolas Edet, Simon Clarke, Matt Lloyd, Omar Fraile - while he's more of a climber than Fabian Wegmann or Luís León Sánchez (who is a reasonable enough climber with better results overall obviously, but is more of an all-terrain guy and not somebody you'd call real KOM fodder but precisely the kind of rider the KOM was instituted to give the climbers something to do to fight against), and apart from two short bursts he's more of a climber than Thomas Voeckler, and more prominent than Geoffrey Bouchard. Anthony Charteau is not the calibre of KOM of the years preceding him - Rasmussen, Soler, Kohl, Pellizotti being the original winners of those awards (we know about the cleanup operation of cycling 2006-8 affecting 75% of those) - but simultaneously he is not the joke of a rider he was made out to be and I felt it unfair that Prudhomme basically justified changing the KOM not by recognising the flaws in the current system relative to the designs he was presenting, but by basically saying Charteau was a joke.

Okay, maybe stop pretending that a GPM victory in the Giro or the Vuelta is anywhere near a GPM victory in the Tour.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan

TRENDING THREADS