• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France 2020 | Stage 18 (Méribel - La Roche-sur-Foron, 175 km)

Page 37 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I know. Nonetheless cricket has more fans than any sport other than soccer. It’s completely dominant across South Asia, a region with nearly a quarter of the world’s population.
Ya I know its all about how you want to measure it. To me cricket or American football are small sports because they are hardly played around the world except by the people from the origin countries much like Aussie rules football or hurling. Its participation and media coverage around the world that I would by but if you think different fair enough its not really worth us arguing over

Reactions: gregrowlerson
Table tennis is very popular in Germany - the players don't get paid well, though.

I think it's not just about how many people are reached and watch, but more about how passionate how many people are about the pro version.
A lot of people watch the Tour, but there are few passionate fans around the world, ready to spend a huge amount of their income on promotion items, tickets, jerseys from certain teams or riders, streams... while for instance people with lower incomes in many countries are willing to spend huge proportions of what they have available on a football team's jersey of the current season, a seasonal ticket, a membership, a flight to watch their favourite team...

Google translated:
"Merijn Zeeman, sports director of Jumbo-Visma, has been kicked out of the Tour de France. The competition jury has decided that. The jury report states that Zeeman intimidated and insulted a UCI employee during a bicycle check after Wednesday's stage. In addition to a fine of 2,000 Swiss francs, he is therefore no longer welcome in the race. "

Google translated:
"Merijn Zeeman, sports director of Jumbo-Visma, has been kicked out of the Tour de France. The competition jury has decided that. The jury report states that Zeeman intimidated and insulted a UCI employee during a bicycle check after Wednesday's stage. In addition to a fine of 2,000 Swiss francs, he is therefore no longer welcome in the race. "

Lequack, I have to say you are one of the most informative people here, always providing pictures and stuff, so I don't have to look for them elsewhere. ;) Thanks!

Table tennis is very popular in Germany - the players don't get paid well, though.

I think it's not just about how many people are reached and watch, but more about how passionate how many people are about the pro version.
A lot of people watch the Tour, but there are few passionate fans around the world, ready to spend a huge amount of their income on promotion items, tickets, jerseys from certain teams or riders, streams... while for instance people with lower incomes in many countries are willing to spend huge proportions of what they have available on a football team's jersey of the current season, a seasonal ticket, a membership, a flight to watch their favourite team...
Regarding team jerseys - I may be wrong, but isn't it so that in football, basketball or hockey the proceeds from selling official team shirts go to the teams, while in cycling, most of the official team kits are sold by the manufacturers, who thereby earn a revenue in exchange for providing kits to the team?

Congrats to Kwiat on the stage win. Horrible execution by Bahrain on their plan. Caruso should have dropped sooner and not left Landa by himself for so long and should have emptied himself for Landa. Caruso looked much more interested in his own ambitions than trying to help his team leader.
No, I think they executed it correctly. Very little you can do to help a teammate up a 6 km 11% wall. The place for Caruso to help was after the steep stuff was over which is exactly where he waited and what he did. Ultimately it failed because Landa could (not surprisingly) only get a short gap over the yellow express

Google translated:

The Rabofail DNA lives on

Reactions: Red Rick
No, I think they executed it correctly. Very little you can do to help a teammate up a 6 km 11% wall. The place for Caruso to help was after the steep stuff was over which is exactly where he waited and what he did. Ultimately it failed because Landa could (not surprisingly) only get a short gap over the yellow express

If Caruso had done his job properly he would have actually dropped from that group of favorites instead of finishing with them. Sorry he didn't do his job and was more worried about his own position in the GC standings.

How do the KOM points work on the final TT?

Is it that they take the time of the final climb only? If so, Carapaz might go easy on the flat and crush it up the climb.
I don't think there is anything like an "easy" 30k time trial for Carapaz ;). In case the bike change is after the time chech, he may benefit from that though (as he can start on a road bike anyway)

But yeah, he'll probably try exactly that. It's enough for him to end up on equal points, by the way, as he wins the tie breaker (most HC wins)

KOM points in ITT climbs have been since forever. KOM points awarded on the time up the climb, rather than time from the start is a recent gimmick.

I just checked the results from the 2001 MTT to Chamrousse, and the rules were the same back then. Ullrich 2nd in the stage after Armstrong, but only 3rd for the points on offer on Chamrousse.

Previous case in the Tour must be from 1997, right? Does anyone have the intermediate times from back then?

TRENDING THREADS