• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France 2020 | Stage 18 (Méribel - La Roche-sur-Foron, 175 km)

Page 38 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I just checked the results from the 2001 MTT to Chamrousse, and the rules were the same back then. Ullrich 2nd in the stage after Armstrong, but only 3rd for the points on offer on Chamrousse.

Previous case in the Tour must be from 1997, right? Does anyone have the intermediate times from back then?

A more recent example would be the TT in the 2013 Tour which had two cat 2 climbs in it. The second checkpoint was at the top of the second. Contador was fastest through, but didn't get any points as others went faster up the climb.

Also stage 1 of the Giro last year. Ciccone was basically the slowest to the bottom of the final climb, but then did it quicker than anyone to claim the points.

Reactions: Sandisfan
A more recent example would be the TT in the 2013 Tour which had two cat 2 climbs in it. The second checkpoint was at the top of the second. Contador was fastest through, but didn't get any points as others went faster up the climb.

Also stage 1 of the Giro last year. Ciccone was basically the slowest to the bottom of the final climb, but then did it quicker than anyone to claim the points.

I know, but the oldest example I could find was most relevant to the post I replied to.

I think all GC guys bar maybe Dumoulin will do a bike switch.
I think Dumo has a decent chance of climbing the ranks if he gets a good day. He has nothing left to do for Roglic, he can just ride for him at the end. He needs to go all-in and regain some confidence. I really root for Big Tom to take the ITT, he needs the stage far more than Roglic. Actually who are the real favorites for Saturday? Stefan Kung was the favorite imo but he left. It would be hilarious if Tony Martin wins it but I doubt he can beat Tom, Rog and Pog.

I think Dumo has a decent chance of climbing the ranks if he gets a good day. He has nothing left to do for Roglic, he can just ride for him at the end. He needs to go all-in and regain some confidence. I really root for Big Tom to take the ITT, he needs the stage far more than Roglic. Actually who are the real favorites for Saturday? Stefan Kung was the favorite imo but he left. It would be hilarious if Tony Martin wins it but I doubt he can beat Tom, Rog and Pog.
The favorites for Saturday are Roglic, Van Aert and Dumoulin.

And some pics as well.
21 Big Photos from Stage 18 (more to come) — corvos/aso/bettini
http://www.steephill.tv/2020/tour-de-france/photos/stage-18/

088-20200917TDF0010-A.S.O.%20Alex%20Broadway.jpg

217-20200917TDF1010-A.S.O.%20Pauline%20Ballet.jpg

325-CORVOS_00032503-076.jpg

Carapaz can just start on his road bike and go easy on the flat. He might not be a great TTer but he is a good climber and I think he is the favorite for the polka.

well, sure he is a good climber, but if Pogacar goes quickest and Roglic 2nd, for example, his jersey is gone, even if he comes 3rd fastest on the climb. And that doesn't sound too unlikely to me, even if he can save himself a bit on the flat

Say what you will about them, but Ineos have made a good job of salvaging races gone awry with a GPM and some stages in the mountains. If Carapaz does keep it on Saturday then he just follows Mikel Nieve in 2016 and Mikel Landa in 2017. Carapaz hasn't got the stage win they managed, but only because it was gifted to Kwiatkowski.

You still need to avoid the OTL though. And yes, it's climb time only.
Marcel Wüst got the polka dot jersey as a sprinter years ago in a time trial :D. He just went allout on a small hill in the time trial.
Okay. Stupid system imo.

This is kind of late for this thread but as I watch the race on DVR part way through the stage on the USA west coast and doing other things before reading for well over an hour the comments on each stage.

MY two cents are, and my opinion is worth you you each paid for it LOL

I think that a good solution to the problem of riders taking it east on the flats could be using this example..... Lets say the average for the field over the flat part for a lets say to keep the numbers even..... the first 30K flat is on average ridden by all those riding 45 minutes so that anyone lower than the average time would not be eligible for the KOM Points. Maybe I am over thinking it but I think that minimum would be a good solution, it would still give an advantage to those not worried about their ITT time but they would have to be careful not to be below that moving average. They wouldn't know what the actual time would be until the end so they would have to be on the safe side just in case.

Congratulations to Michał Kwiatkowski for winning stage 18. For sure a very emotional day for him. Kudos to Carapaz, attacking relentless for the past 3 stages, taking polka dots and letting Kwiatkowski to take the win. JV did a great job today, controlling the race. Roglič demonstrated some skill on gravel and on descend. Kuss again staying close to Roglič to the end. When Dumoulin and van Aert came back i thought they plan to do a TTT. Landa tried and kudos for that. Porte, that is why i don't like gravel in GTs. You work hard for 3 weeks and then you are in for a lottery, of having good or bad luck. It doesn't make it more exciting, but it can make it unfair. Pogačar lost polka dots but there is still a chance to get it back on Saturday.

P.S. Was that Dave running at the finish or just a fan?

• Love
Reactions: gregrowlerson
Table tennis is very popular in Germany - the players don't get paid well, though.

I think it's not just about how many people are reached and watch, but more about how passionate how many people are about the pro version.
A lot of people watch the Tour, but there are few passionate fans around the world, ready to spend a huge amount of their income on promotion items, tickets, jerseys from certain teams or riders, streams... while for instance people with lower incomes in many countries are willing to spend huge proportions of what they have available on a football team's jersey of the current season, a seasonal ticket, a membership, a flight to watch their favourite team...

Very good points. And football teams are very crafty, bringing out a new kit every single season (and there are two, home and away differ), which die hard fans have to get.

I, as a pretty die hard cycling fan (though somewhat strangely never a cyclist....or not, I'd be terrified of the descending!) have only ever bought 2 jerseys (T-Mobile and Radioshack). And fans don't buy a ticket to watch the tour de france as they do a football game, obviously.

Also, bringing up table tennis is interesting, because I immediately thought of China, and checking, they hold the top 3 spots in the world rankings (male). But it seems their salary is not 'that' high. But given their population, couldn't their earnings be higher? I know the stadiums they play in must be small, but a lot of $ comes from television. If the average Chinese person was as passionate about sport as others (and watched television), then it seems feasible to me that the number one Chinese player could earn as much - if not more than - as Novak Djokovic.

Anyway, the cricket discussion with India makes me consider this.

This is kind of late for this thread but as I watch the race on DVR part way through the stage on the USA west coast and doing other things before reading for well over an hour the comments on each stage.

MY two cents are, and my opinion is worth you you each paid for it LOL

I think that a good solution to the problem of riders taking it east on the flats could be using this example..... Lets say the average for the field over the flat part for a lets say to keep the numbers even..... the first 30K flat is on average ridden by all those riding 45 minutes so that anyone lower than the average time would not be eligible for the KOM Points. Maybe I am over thinking it but I think that minimum would be a good solution, it would still give an advantage to those not worried about their ITT time but they would have to be careful not to be below that moving average. They wouldn't know what the actual time would be until the end so they would have to be on the safe side just in case.

Solid suggestion Sandisfan.

By the way, why Sandis and not Landis? :laughing:

TRENDING THREADS