• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France 2020 | Stage 2 (Nice Haut Pays - Nice, 186 km)

Page 21 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
maybe but they didn't had a helper with them if for exemple Dumo or Roglic had a puncture....

The first part of the team did a great job (Martin, Jansen, Gesink), Bennet also did a good job, considering he fell twice yesterday. But I expected more from Van Aert (who did have to help Dumo a bit), but especially Kuss (who does have a a bit of having a certain warm up time in the race). It did look like neither Primož nor Tom had interest in going for the stage or placing, but having no teammates on the last downhill is very risky. Something to work on. You cannot afford mistakes.

Not sure
The first part of the team did a great job (Martin, Jansen, Gesink), Bennet also did a good job, considering he fell twice yesterday. But I expected more from Van Aert (who did have to help Dumo a bit), but especially Kuss (who does have a a bit of having a certain warm up time in the race). It did look like neither Primož nor Tom had interest in going for the stage or placing, but having no teammates on the last downhill is very risky. Something to work on. You cannot afford mistakes.
Great points. Today was not a disaster for TJV, but if they are to win the TDF, they will have to be stronger. I wonder whether the effects of yesterday's bad weather will start to show up in the next few days with more riders taking ill.

The big GC teams, like Ineos and Jumbo, have riders they tell to take it easy in the first week, to conserve energy for week 3.

I'd assume both Castroviejo and Kuss are in that category.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Alaf is a pretty remarkable rider. He basically said he'd win this stage; everyone knew he was going to attack on the final climb; he was towing Hirschi and Yates; had to calculate his sprint to bluff Yates off his wheel; and still won. He can win Stage 4 if he's climbing like last year; but I think that one of the big GC guys is going to attack on the last climb. Anyway, awesome to win the stage and the yj...
2011 Gilbert vibes. Everyone knepw where he would attack but he still pulled it off.

Porte is also the least exciting race contender since Leipheimer. He makes Haimar Zubeldia look like Aleksandr Vinokourov. He makes Tadej Valjavec look like Vincenzo Nibali. He makes Adam Yates look like Simon Yates.
Most people didn't realize Zubeldia was actually in the race unless they scrolled through the results later. He was on another level.

Well, that was a very nice stage. And Hirschi, showing nothing all season, convincingly second :D

If you were watching your cycling you woud have seen Hirschi was good in Autralia and good at the Dauphine

That was his privilege, as the youngest rider in the group with the least in the way of GC aspirations.

We gave Sunweb some stick in the buildup for leaving Bling at home, but 2 2nd places so far suggests maybe they have, dare we say it, a strategy?

Sunweb are backing Ces Bol for sprints so I guess that would have been a conflict with Matthews ambitions or maybe they need someone to win in Italy for the sponsor?

Benoot s the leader but he is not going well at alland retired from the Dauphine so bringing him to the Tour was maybe a mistake

SK Anderson, Hirchi & Roche are trying for stages and maybe KOM

Reactions: Sandisfan

TRENDING THREADS