• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France 2020 | Stage 2 (Nice Haut Pays - Nice, 186 km)

Page 23 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Of, course I'm aware of how he got the MR but by definition, you're not anonymous while wearing the leader's jersey.

He's certainly underperformed in GTs, and you can't blame all of it on his crashes but comparing a guy with a ton of major wins to someone who won almost nothing his entire career isn't fair, imo.
We're comparing GT palmares to GT palmares. He's done almost nothing his entire career.

Of, course I'm aware of how he got the MR but by definition, you're not anonymous while wearing the leader's jersey.

He's certainly underperformed in GTs, and you can't blame all of it on his crashes but comparing a guy with a ton of major wins to someone who won almost nothing his entire career isn't fair, imo.
To be fair, LS didn't compare their palmares, but the excitement they bring. To be honest he/she is right for Porte's GT attempts as a leader. He doesn't bring much to the excitement. But I rate also other races beside the GTs. Other smaller races are important to me as well as a cycling fan. I don't care much about Porte but I can remember some of his strong attacks in PN or Romandie for example.

Last edited:
People seem concerned (if that's the correct word) about Jumbo when Ineos went to the front. Their two GC men in Dumo and Rogo finished in the main bunch. Am I daft thinking their doms were maybe just saving their beans?

This isn't like any other year and maybe caution in the first grandy isn't a bad idea?

I shall say though, I only watched the last 25km

There are stages on this Tour where Bol can go for the win (yesterday, Ile de Re, Paris) and stages where Matthews could go for the win (Privas, Champagnole, Lyon) and not have them stepping on each other's toes.

Nobody would love to see Roche win a stage more than I would, but there's no way he, or Kragh, or Benoot, is a better shot for a stage than Bling.

Oh I agree...Matthews is the one to deliver and I was amased as to why they left himout of the Tour..I was just saying their tactics which are inexplicable

Anyway he is now leaving the team!!!!

Reactions: Sandisfan
People seem concerned (if that's the correct word) about Jumbo when Ineos went to the front. Their two GC men in Dumo and Rogo finished in the main bunch. Am I daft thinking their doms were maybe just saving their beans?

This isn't like any other year and maybe caution in the first grandy isn't a bad idea?

I shall say though, I only watched the last 25km
Could be. They wouldn't be the only ones to do it. I guess the full train wasn't necessary, WvA helped Dumoulin after his crash, and did the entire penultimate lap

That is unfair and simply untrue. We've seen Porte attack plenty of times on climbs though usually in shorter stage races and not GTS. I've also seen him win a ton of races. I don't remember seeing Zubeldia win anything. Idk, maybe I saw him win a TT once or twice.
TDF Zubeldia best years:
2003 5th
2006 8th
2007 4th
2012 6th
2014 8th
(not bad)

Pinot is almost always prominent until he decides some calamity or another should befall him. Porte is usually just kind of there until he isn't, and when he does crash out it's often before a reasonable guide to his form can be seen.

Many races have been better for Pinot being in them. I can't possibly comprehend that anybody other than a myopic Aussie has ever looked at a GC battle at any Grand Tour and thought "you know what, that race would have been better with Richie Porte in it". He just retreats into his shell in three week races when he's the leader, much like Valverde. He's a much more active, much more proactive, much more dynamic racer in short stage races, but in the GTs he completely forgets that side of him exists. Either that or he's so paralysed by fear of losing time that he's too scared to try to gain it.

He would need a DS committee of Jacky Durand, Aleksandr Vinokourov and the ghost of Frank Vandenbroucke to wring anything interesting from him in a Grand Tour. He's been touted as a GT rider for a decade now, yet his record is no better than Ronan Pensec or Walter Riccomi's. He's a great one week rider, and he's now 35. At what point is he going to stop banging his head against the three week wall?

Pinot is almost always prominent until he decides some calamity or another should befall him. Porte is usually just kind of there until he isn't, and when he does crash out it's often before a reasonable guide to his form can be seen.

Many races have been better for Pinot being in them. I can't possibly comprehend that anybody other than a myopic Aussie has ever looked at a GC battle at any Grand Tour and thought "you know what, that race would have been better with Richie Porte in it". He just retreats into his shell in three week races when he's the leader, much like Valverde. He's a much more active, much more proactive, much more dynamic racer in short stage races, but in the GTs he completely forgets that side of him exists. Either that or he's so paralysed by fear of losing time that he's too scared to try to gain it.

He would need a DS committee of Jacky Durand, Aleksandr Vinokourov and the ghost of Frank Vandenbroucke to wring anything interesting from him in a Grand Tour. He's been touted as a GT rider for a decade now, yet his record is no better than Ronan Pensec or Walter Riccomi's. He's a great one week rider, and he's now 35. At what point is he going to stop banging his head against the three week wall?
Even in other stage races, he's usually just there unless he's the strongest and then he just flies away and it's never exciting, apart from one time he just wheelsucked Contador to a Catalunya win.

Reactions: Carols