• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France 2020 | Stage 2 (Nice Haut Pays - Nice, 186 km)

Page 25 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
So Daniel Martinez crashed twice. I missed the first one. From his interview the first crash hurt more than the second one. So he was already wounded. The Doctor cleared him to keep racing but he has pain on his knee.

So Daniel Martinez crashed twice. I missed the first one. From his interview the first crash hurt more than the second one. So he was already wounded. The Doctor cleared him to keep racing but he has pain on his knee.

Thanks. I also had no idea he'd crashed twice.

Yes, and we've seen Alejandro Valverde animate countless smaller races before retreating into his shell in major ones. Richie Porte in a GT is about as beige as it gets, and as inspiring as Louis Meintjes under strict instructions to ride as defensively as possible, and the one time he ever added something to a Grand Tour, a motorbike brought it to a crashing halt after about 200m.
Meintjes is obviously Zubeldia's ninja protege. Porte applied for the training but was rejected for being too easy to spot.

They will most likely receive a fine and a time penalty, even if that dont really matter, out of principle.

Im glad he finished though. Hopefully he can manage and recover, so that he can be of service later in the race.
Yes he got some leeway because of his injury and race officials are never consistent so go figure. He was obviously in pain but he might survive and hang on till he starts to recover.

I feel sorry for him. But to be honest he's also a bit prone to crashing. His bike handling or his estimation of situations does not seem to be the best.

He did that purposly on the first mountain stage when he won the polka dot jersey, so it is possible.

Barguil is pretty resolute in not wanting to go for GC -- I suspect in his mind he wants to be Virenque rather than be compared with Pinot/Bardet. On his day he's at that level but only if there's no pressure and he's allowed to get in a break. Would he work for NQ if there's a podium spot on the line? I'm not convinced.

Still...he's one of those guys like Porte who if their goal was to finish 10th, it would be easily achieved by following wheels and dropping 30 seconds here and there.

I'm a bit mystified by WB -- he has definitely showed flashes of combativeness and high-level climbing, but most of the time he's more of a Meintjes -- I think someone described him as being present until he isn't...

Reactions: gregrowlerson
just a small statistic, which might have a statement for the teampower for the coming mountain stages:

Team nameRiders finished in the first group
Trek - Segafredo
3​
Bahrain - McLaren
3​
Astana Pro Team
3​
EF Pro Cycling
3​
Team Sunweb
2​
Movistar Team
2​
Mitchelton-Scott
2​
BORA - hansgrohe
2​
Team Jumbo-Visma
2​
UAE-Team Emirates
2​
Cofidis, Solutions Crédits
2​
INEOS Grenadiers
2​
AG2R La Mondiale
2​
Groupama - FDJ
2​
CCC Team
1​
B&B Hotels - Vital Concept p/b KTM
1​
Team Arkéa Samsic
1​

Reactions: gregrowlerson
just a small statistic, which might have a statement for the teampower for the coming mountain stages:

Team nameRiders finished in the first group
Trek - Segafredo
3​
Bahrain - McLaren
3​
Astana Pro Team
3​
EF Pro Cycling
3​
Team Sunweb
2​
Movistar Team
2​
Mitchelton-Scott
2​
BORA - hansgrohe
2​
Team Jumbo-Visma
2​
UAE-Team Emirates
2​
Cofidis, Solutions Crédits
2​
INEOS Grenadiers
2​
AG2R La Mondiale
2​
Groupama - FDJ
2​
CCC Team
1​
B&B Hotels - Vital Concept p/b KTM
1​
Team Arkéa Samsic
1​
Gorka rolled in at 19s, 1 place behind LLS, so Astana effectively had 4 in the group.

TRENDING THREADS