• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France 2020 | Stage 9 (Pau - Laruns, 153 km)

Page 33 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Movistar's budget is around 17 million, which is where it's been for around the last maybe 5-8 years. They went from just over the average for team budgets to in the lower 3rd of team budgets during that time. Most teams are around 20 million now. HOWEVER, Movistar appears to be one of the few stable teams. In this sense having a sponsor that is a multi media company is an advantage. Also Movistar got a lot more out of the documentary they did on the team last year than anything they had expected.

This is a whole other debate, apologies to those that ONLY want to discuss the Tour, but I find it interesting ;)

I think the world wide economic crisis to come, will mean the World Tour will develop into a 2-tier division, where there are a few big budget teams at the top (those with an incredibly rich sugardaddy), while 60-70 % of the teams operate at what is today the low end of budgets, simply because the cost/benefit dynamics of the whole advertising/sponsorship market will change.

I also think we will lose 4-5 current teams, as more and more corporate marketing executives are told to slim down their spending.

I'd have thought it more likely UAE try to build a stronger GT team to support Pogačar than he moves elsewhere.

But on the subject of UAE, Formolo has been quiet this week after showing he was in decent form at Il Lombardia.

UAE are sure to invest in an a-class Tour roster, now they understand just how good Pogacar is.

However, I question the quality of their DSs, as I rarely see them riding particularly well in terms of teamwork, in stage races.

Reactions: Sandisfan
This is a whole other debate, apologies to those that ONLY want to discuss the Tour, but I find it interesting ;)

I think the world wide economic crisis to come, will mean the World Tour will develop into a 2-tier division, where there are a few big budget teams at the top (those with an incredibly rich sugardaddy), while 60-70 % of the teams operate at what is today the low end of budgets, simply because the cost/benefit dynamics of the whole advertising/sponsorship market will change.

I also think we will lose 4-5 current teams, as more and more corporate marketing executives are told to slim down their spending.

It appears CCC is the first team to disappear from this. I suspect you're correct they won't be the last. It may not happen at the end of this season.

In Movistar's case, it's likely they will extend their sponsorship. They got a huge pay off with that documentary and had planned on doing another one this year, but Covid stopped it. They still want to do more, so it's likely they'll stay around. A 2 tier WT division I can see as highly likely.

It appears CCC is the first team to disappear from this. I suspect you're correct they won't be the last. It may not happen at the end of this season.

In Movistar's case, it's likely they will extend their sponsorship. They got a huge pay off with that documentary and had planned on doing another one this year, but Covid stopped it. They still want to do more, so it's likely they'll stay around. A 2 tier WT division I can see as highly likely.

It will be interesting to see what happens as rider contracts expire, and if a few big teams will gobble up all the GC talent, simply because they have more money.

We might end up with GTs in a couple of years, where there are 4-6 teams of Ineos/JV caliber, while the whole rest of the peloton is "Sunweb".

• Wow
This is what I'm most afraid of:
The coronavirus pandemic edition of the Tour de France made it through to the first rest day despite COVID-19 cases rising anew in France and crowds gathering in somewhat alarming numbers on climbs in the Pyrenees over the weekend.
As planned, the 'bubble' of riders and staff at the race are due to be tested on Monday, for the first time since the double tests carried out back in Nice before stage 1.

Imagine half the teams being DQ after rest day. Would it even make sense to continue?

Reactions: Koronin
It will be interesting to see what happens as rider contracts expire, and if a few big teams will gobble up all the GC talent, simply because they have more money.

We might end up with GTs in a couple of years, where there are 4-6 teams of Ineos/JV caliber, while the whole rest of the peloton is "Sunweb".

That will be interesting.

Well there's always Movistar who will just put everything into the team classification. :)

I think his age is what Brumdog66 is referring to.

Bernal is 23, Roglic is 30 (31 in October).

If we subscribe to the old cycling truth, that your best years are 26 to 32, it is a fair statement that Bernal has not yet hit his peak, while Roglic is nearing the end of his peak years.

In Roglics defence, I'd say his longevity may be more than his age, because he got a late start in the sport, much as is the case with Fuglsang, so Roglic may be great for 5-6 years more.

If that happens, we're in for a hell of a Tour battle the next few years, as we add Pogacar, Evenepoel and a healthy Sivakov to the list of real contenders :)
Nothing we have seen this year says Bernal has improved or Rogalic stayed the same or gotten worse. Maybe in 3/4 years but not this year and in a thread full of Aru talk do we wanna say Bernal will defiantly improve when he could also be the next Andy Schleck

This is what I'm most afraid of:
The coronavirus pandemic edition of the Tour de France made it through to the first rest day despite COVID-19 cases rising anew in France and crowds gathering in somewhat alarming numbers on climbs in the Pyrenees over the weekend.
As planned, the 'bubble' of riders and staff at the race are due to be tested on Monday, for the first time since the double tests carried out back in Nice before stage 1.

Let's hope we are not shocked.

But it's so many people that have to be responsible, all the hotel employees and cleaning staff, all the staff of the teams, all the people outside the bubble teams have been in contact with, etc.

And then we haven't even mentioned mask-less spectators, screaming into the faces of riders 50 centimetres away, on mountain stages :(

Bad Google Translation:
Two very tough days in the Pyrenees, but always proud of your effort. We will continue fighting in the two weeks that remain in this @letour_es
. We #RodamosJuntos! # TDF2020

jA9w0SH.png
2 friends hugging = weak and fragile apparently :p

Nothing we have seen this year says Bernal has improved or Rogalic stayed the same or gotten worse. Maybe in 3/4 years but not this year and in a thread full of Aru talk do we wanna say Bernal will defiantly improve when he could also be the next Andy Schleck

Who is saying "definitely" about anything in the future?

As for Bernal not having improved, I have no idea what you base that on?

Last year he was 1:16 off the lead after stage 9, this year 21 seconds, despite coming into the race injured.

Let's wait of those kind of determinations till the race is over ;)

Come on dude...... I mean, I have the greatest respect of Indurain, but there is no doubt, of the major GC riders in history, he is by far the most boring one.

I can't even remember him standing up on the bicycle, like ever ;)
In stage 9 of the 1989 tdf, Indurain attacked solo on Marie Blanque with 100 km to go. He stayed away and won the stage. Far from boring and one of the all time greats.

Let's hope we are not shocked.

But it's so many people that have to be responsible, all the hotel employees and cleaning staff, all the staff of the teams, all the people outside the bubble teams have been in contact with, etc.

And then we haven't even mentioned mask-less spectators, screaming into the faces of riders 50 centimetres away, on mountain stages :(

They need to put a /\ of motor bikes in front of each group to keep those idiots back. I’m shocked at the number of yahoos without masks screaming into riders faces.

They need to put a /\ of motor bikes in front of each group to keep those idiots back. I’m shocked at the number of yahoos without masks screaming into riders faces.

Nobody or very close to it will come out Covid-positive. The chance of contracting the virus is extremely low for any of the riders, just calculate how many in say 1000 spectators might be infected give the current case numbers in France, still very few. And while some are asymptomatic those who are actually sick will likely not stand on any climb. Then, the time of exposure to any given possibly infected spectator is very short, a few seconds at most. A lot are actually wearing masks, the vast majority isn't yelling into the faces of the riders and is keeping a reasonable distance. Not to forget all that is happening under open-air as well. E.g. there have been a good amount of demonstrations, for different reasons, going on in Germany, with people not caring about distancing or wearing masks, yet they haven't caused any real spike of corona infections whatsoever.

Who is saying "definitely" about anything in the future?

As for Bernal not having improved, I have no idea what you base that on?

Last year he was 1:16 off the lead after stage 9, this year 21 seconds, despite coming into the race injured.

Let's wait of those kind of determinations till the race is over ;)
"(Bernal) is more likely to improve for a year of racing and seems to be improving his shape while Roglic's shape either remains the same or gets worse"

That was the quote I said was nonsense the idea that Bernal has improved more in a year but Rog has gone backwards or not improved. No evidence to support this whatsoever. I never made definitive statements this Brumdawg guy did and you defended him by talking about the future when he was talking about this year

Nobody or very close to it will come out Covid-positive. The chance of contracting the virus is extremely low for any of the riders, just calculate how many in say 1000 spectators might be infected give the current case numbers in France, still very few. And while some are asymptomatic those who are actually sick will likely not stand on any climb. Then, the time of exposure to any given possibly infected spectator is very short, a few seconds at most. A lot are actually wearing masks, the vast majority isn't yelling into the faces of the riders and is keeping a reasonable distance. Not to forget all that is happening under open-air as well. E.g. there have been a good amount of demonstrations, for different reasons, going on in Germany, with people not caring about distancing or wearing masks, yet they haven't caused any real spike of corona infections whatsoever.
The idiot fans should wear masks and as we have seen for years now should also stay off the road but as for infection the advise is 15min of contact indoors to be considered a risk so it is low from fan to rider but desnt mean the fans couldnt do it out of courtesy.

As for no spikes in the protesters you have to remember that as virus deniers none of them will get tested so wont cause an obvious spike but may bring it back to local communities where tested people will spike

"(Bernal) is more likely to improve for a year of racing and seems to be improving his shape while Roglic's shape either remains the same or gets worse"

That was the quote I said was nonsense the idea that Bernal has improved more in a year but Rog has gone backwards or not improved. No evidence to support this whatsoever. I never made definitive statements this Brumdawg guy did and you defended him by talking about the future when he was talking about this year

Glad to hear you agree with me about the future.

Meanwhile, the future is Tuesday :)

Not sure about the numbers but with a sufficiently big sample I'm expecting a decent chance at false positives.

TRENDING THREADS