• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France Tour de France 2020

Page 26 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I can’t tell who any of them are.

It's the "Totor à vélo " sculpture.

Source (Google translated):

From August 27 to 31, the City of Nice will host the Grand Départ of the Tour de France 2020, thus becoming the cycling capital of the world. A few days before this great event, three important moments are scheduled for Tuesday, August 25 in the presence of Christian Estrosi, mayor of Nice, President of the Nice Côte d'Azur Metropolis, Deputy President of the Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur Region and Christian Prudhomme, Director of the Tour de France.
Then, at 10:15 am, the “Totor à Vélo” sculpture will be unveiled, as well as the new developments around the cycle path in the presence of the artist Bolongaro. Stéphane Bolongaro, alias "Totor" from the name of his last and already very famous creation is a Nice artist who made a career following the example of two geniuses from the Nice school: Arman and Sosno. It was in 2015 that Totor the dog was born. As part of the Grand Départ, he made a polyester sculpture of Totor on a bicycle. This is visible from the road as well as from the cycle path.

which team will be the 3rd force in GC?
Bora? EF? UAE? Astana?

It really depends who is the best leader from those teams.
I really rate Bahrein team for TdF. Astana I don't. And I also don't rate Lopez. Fulgsang-Vlasov combo would've been much better.
I would say that one of Bahrein, FdJ and Bora. EF is really strong with Uran, Higuita and Dani Martinez but I don't rate them over Pinot, Landa or Buchmann(if fit).

In terms of climbing I'd say Bahrain. But if I were any of those teams I wouldn't bother trying to make mountain trains and pace the team leader, Ineos and Jumbo will be doing all that. Other teams should look at getting as many men into breaks as possible
Yeah, Arkea, Bahrain and UAE should be sending guys up the road early, and then hoping Nairo/Landa/Pogacar can get separation and bridge across.

That's not how being the best dom works. Following this trajectory, Consonni is the greatest lead out man in the history of the sport.
If you refer to my post, that's not what I implied. Gaudu was the best dom at last year's Tour, I think that a fair statement. As a leader, not being Pinot's launching pad and losing time, he could have done even better in the GC. He still ended up in the top-15. Unless gifted breakaway time chuck(s), one has to be really good to finish 13th in the Tour. FdJ has four guys at this 2nd tier GC riders level to help Pinot.

Reactions: Sandisfan
If you refer to my post, that's not what I implied. Gaudu was the best dom at last year's Tour, I think that a fair statement. As a leader, not being Pinot's launching pad and losing time, he could have done even better in the GC. He still ended up in the top-15. Unless gifted breakaway time chuck(s), one has to be really good to finish 13th in the Tour. FdJ has four guys at this 2nd tier GC riders level to help Pinot.

Gaudu was very good, but I'm very unsure about his level right now. And other teams have great helpers, too. Bilbao, Caruso, Poels does not sound too bad, for instance.

The likelihood of the Tour finishing in a meaningful way just increased massively as L'Équipe reports that the "two positives and out" rule is scrapped. It did sound very stiff.

What the new regulations will be are not clear as of yet. But it seems like there will be made a distinction between riders and staff. To me it does seem like a very difficult issue to regulate.

• Wow
Reactions: yaco and Red Rick
The likelihood of the Tour finishing in a meaningful way just increased massively as L'Équipe reports that the "two positives and out" rule is scrapped. It did sound very stiff.

What the new regulations will be are not clear as of yet. But it seems like there will be made a distinction between riders and staff. To me it does seem like a very difficult issue to regulate.
I'd hope a positive would just mean immediate isolation while awaiting a 2nd test.

Going back to my post about the weather being a factor. Later in the Tour and also definitely Giro. Already looking at stage 1 finish in Nice there might be rain at the back end of the stage. Then Sunday look a big mess. Thunderstorms possible between Turini and Colmaine and 60kmh gust down towards stage 2 finish. Also on top of Col de Turini temperature will be cold as northerly winds sweep across Italy and France. Northern Alpine slope will be seeing snow around 2000m. Stage 2 will be very interesting

One factor that can be a part in this years Tour and Giro can be the weather. Doing Alps in the middle of September can be a lot different then middle of July. There potentially can be a lot more rain this year then we are use to during July editions. There have been so many falls already as the schedule is hyperactive and out of sync plus usual Tour de France crash drama. I would say the probability of weather related crashed and drama is so much higher this year. Now this is still nothing compared to doing Passo Stelvio on the 22nd of October! I have seen many autumns where snow appeared regularly over 2000m in the northern Italy by the end of September. I run my own amateur weather page with few hundred followers that specializes in long range forecasting and I would say if Giro manages to end without any weather related problems it would be a miracle. This autumn is a La Nina and hyperactive Atlantic hurricane season that doesn't favor long Indian summer like conditions in Europe, which could mean frequent snow specially during last week of Giro. Carnage awaits :)

• Wow
Reactions: Red Rick

TRENDING THREADS