• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France 2021 route rumors

Page 21 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
You know what? I think this is a good route. Yes, I know, I'm not the one to ask about these kind of things, but I think it is a well-balanced route, not going for any extremes, but having a bit of everything. And just because the mountain stages are not extremely hard, does not mean they don't test the riders. The riders can do something on most of these stages if they want to, and someone not a complete mountain goat has a good chance.

Not as much of an insult to me personally and to cycling as a whole as some routes from recent years, but still pretty bad. Of course, I don't think any GT with so few ITT kilometres should get a passing grade.

Stage 17 would have been awesome in the 90s. Now you just can't put that climb at the end and expect it not to come to the last few km as usual.

Reactions: Sandisfan
there are barely any stages for GC action.

Mur de Britagne ---> a kind of preview of who is good and not, but nothing more
time trail
signal d'uchon -----> the only good surprise, interesting if they put in some more hills, maybe it can even trigger some GC action. Only, next 2 days seems to be more important
Grand Bornand ----> decent. Not original. let see if riders complain about head wind again like last time
Tignes ----> well, impossible to make a decent stage desing to Tignes from the North anyway
Ventoux ---> well, there are some apetizers and nice camera shot, before the final climb
Quillan ----> maybe on that last hill some action?
Andorra ----> by lack of other opportunities, they have to atack on baixalis
Saint Gaudens ---> horrible stage desing ---> action very unlikely
Portet ----> alles draait om de slotklim
Luz Ardizen ----> after all those hard and long stages I can imagine Aspin is really too much :neutral:
time trail

-not even 1 really hard stage
-I barely see tricky stages, where ambush is possible
-I don't see any stage were attacking before the last climb or hill seems favourable
-except singal d'Uchon not even 1 new climb
-a lot of copy past from previous stages
-extremely light mountains, not even compensated by spreading out the difficulties over multiple stages
-no places to attack early

there are barely any stages for GC action.

Mur de Britagne ---> a kind of preview of who is good and not, but nothing more
time trail
signal d'uchon -----> the only good surprise, interesting if they put in some more hills, maybe it can even trigger some GC action. Only, next 2 days seems to be more important
Grand Bornand ----> decent. Not original. let see if riders complain about head wind again like last time
Tignes ----> well, impossible to make a decent stage desing to Tignes from the North anyway
Ventoux ---> well, there are some apetizers and nice camera shot, before the final climb
Quillan ----> maybe on that last hill some action?
Andorra ----> by lack of other opportunities, they have to atack on baixalis
Saint Gaudens ---> horrible stage desing ---> action very unlikely
Portet ----> alles draait om de slotklim
Luz Ardizen ----> after all those hard and long stages I can imagine Aspin is really too much :neutral:
time trail

-not even 1 really hard stage
-I barely see tricky stages, where ambush is possible
-I don't see any stage were attacking before the last climb or hill seems favourable
-except singal d'Uchon not even 1 new climb
-a lot of copy past from previous stages
-extremely light mountains, not even compensated by spreading out the difficulties over multiple stages
-no places to attack early
I guess the final climbs themselves are probably decent climbs for like 5-10km attacks

That is the only good thing I can think of.

Reactions: Matt92
You know what? I think this is a good route. Yes, I know, I'm not the one to ask about these kind of things, but I think it is a well-balanced route, not going for any extremes, but having a bit of everything. And just because the mountain stages are not extremely hard, does not mean they don't test the riders. The riders can do something on most of these stages if they want to, and someone not a complete mountain goat has a good chance.
Balanced, I agree.
TT/MTF proportion should reduce (if not eliminate completely) "phoney war" stages.

Shortcomings are there too.
About half an hour of time trialing more.
HC climb and descent here and there.

We'll see what the riders will make of it.

Reactions: gregrowlerson