• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France 2021 route rumors

Page 18 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
GT winners are rarely the best overall rider. You'd probably have to get 10 minute bonuses on flat sprint stages, and have some classic like stages in the GT for that ( cobbles, long hilly stages like LBL design). Climbing and time trialing are only two aspects of the sport. A route with lots of time trialing just gives you the best time trialist who doesn't die in the mountains as the winner.

Based on that logic let's see a Mont du Chat downhill TT.

alt_11.jpg

Do we really think the length of this stage had any bearing on the outcome? Make it 200km and nothing changes, everything happened in the first 90 minutes.

With the hard side of Envalira that would actually be a great finish.
True, especially as they'd have to get there via Jau and Pailhères. Which is exactly why it won't happen.

Also, considering ASO's obsession with irrelevant dirt roads, I could see them climbing the first part of Cortals d'Encamp, taking the dirt road to Engolasters used in last year's Vuelta, then descend to the finish (possibly through the easy side of Comella which would make for an interesting finale if nothing else).

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan
Nah - The criticism by posters is that you fail to test endurance if you don't have a quota of longer stages - My risposte is that in the glory day's of the past we can tend to look through 'rose colored glasses' and fail to acknowledge that often these longer stages on flattish parcours are ridden like a club ride, except for the last 60 kms, which hardly tests endurance - So in other words, length doesn't necessarily impact on endurance - I have posted that I've been happy with the last few routes of the TDF because they mix things up - Even if the rumoured 50 km ITT is on the menu, at least it's different from the last 3 or 4 editions - If only the Giro would mix up their parcours.
That last sentence is clearly bait but hey, I'm falling for it. Care to ellaborate how the Giro isn't mixing up their route as much as the Tour?

Anyway, a 250 km stage is indeed not always raced hard for 250 km but a 150km cannot even theoretically be raced hard for that long. So at the end your average 250 km will test endurance more than your average 150 km stage. That's a fact.

GT winners are rarely the best overall rider. You'd probably have to get 10 minute bonuses on flat sprint stages, and have some classic like stages in the GT for that ( cobbles, long hilly stages like LBL design). Climbing and time trialing are only two aspects of the sport. A route with lots of time trialing just gives you the best time trialist who doesn't die in the mountains as the winner.

sprinting does not determine who was the best rider of that day. It says who the best rider was for the final minute of the day. That's why pure sprinters should never win a GT

sprinting does not determine who was the best rider of that day. It says who the best rider was for the final minute of the day. That's why pure sprinters should never win a GT
This post gives me similar vibest to this:

Newest update from Velowire has the Andorra stage finish in Andorra la Vella. Maybe with Envalira as the last climb.
Sounds horrible if true. It will destroy balance between time trials and mountains. Envalira is 11km at 6% followed by 30 km descent. It would be pointless to turn on TV for this stage. Saint-Gaudens which comes next is as horrible as previous stage. I really hate when they have some many stages with wasted mountains.

• Sad
That last sentence is clearly bait but hey, I'm falling for it. Care to ellaborate how the Giro isn't mixing up their route as much as the Tour?

Anyway, a 250 km stage is indeed not always raced hard for 250 km but a 150km cannot even theoretically be raced hard for that long. So at the end your average 250 km will test endurance more than your average 150 km stage. That's a fact.

Even when you watch a sleepy long stage when the peleton is soft pedalling, they are still going around 40 kms hr, and they barely raise a sweat - My point about 'piano racing' in long stages is a fact.

The shorter the race is the faster they ride. I'm in the camp that thinks an additional 100k flat makes no difference. However if you have a >200k stage with like Tourmalet in the 1st half it should stay in the legs no matter the tempo. However, i'm not a professional cyclist so i don't know the real impact of such things.