• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France Tour de France 2021, Stage 17: Muret – Saint-Lary-Soulan Col du Portet, 178.4 km

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The GC situation and the last two mountain stages are very similar to those in 2014. Nibali was dominant (but not his team).

In 2014, the first stage was basically a battle for the mountain jersey between Majka and Rodriguez, with Majka winning the stage after Purito first attacked and then faded. Nibali gained time on his rivals. Tomorrow, it will be harder for the yellow jersey to win, since

i) it's Bastille day (so 37 French guys will want to be at the front).
ii) the initial flat section is longer.

The final mountain stage in 2014 also went over the Tourmalet (to Hautacam). Nibali won by a minute.

My predictions - Wednesday: a "random" Colombian from the break.
Thursday: a non-random Slovenian from the peloton

Last edited:
The GC situation and the last two mountain stages are very similar to those in 2014. Nibali was dominant (but not his team).

In 2014, the first stage was basically a battle for the mountain jersey between Majka and Rodriguez, with Majka winning the stage after Purito first attacked and then faded. Nibali gained time on his rivals. Tomorrow, it will be harder for the yellow jersey to win, since

The final mountain stage in 2014 also went over the Tourmalet (to Hautacam). Nibali won by a minute.

My predictions - Wednesday: a "random" Columbian from the break
By that analogy, J-V this year are Tinkov in 2014, Wout is Majka, and Kuss is Mick Rogers. So we can expect vanAert to win tomorrow, and then finish Luz Ardiden just close enough behind Pogacar to hold onto the polka dots. And Sepp has to win a Worlds ITT at some stage in his career.

By that analogy, J-V this year are Tinkov in 2014, Wout is Majka, and Kuss is Mick Rogers. So we can expect vanAert to win tomorrow, and then finish Luz Ardiden just close enough behind Pogacar to hold onto the polka dots. And Sepp has to win a Worlds ITT at some stage in his career.

There seems to be a small... bug... in your paragraph, but I can't really put my finger on it.

And that is why I had to break the analogy by picking a Colombian (I'll go for Lopez), in order to avoid a contradiction and the universe disappearing in a puff of logic.

If Wout wins, it will be Poels. He might have one bad day, but he has a history of big days in the last week. I think that will be enough to win the polka dots.

The bug is that Rogers won all his world TT titles before 2014, so the analogy proves that Kuss will not win a world TT in the future.
I completely forgot that Tony Martin was in the J-V team. The analogy wobbles, but lives. Sepp may be the one to take the Luz stage, or possibly even Vingo.

Basically, "Our leader crashed out. 3 stages and a jersey!"

six-seasons.gif

Reactions: Sandisfan
Great profile as usual from Devil's Elbow. This stage is so big it almost deserves a second thread.
Big break to form: Quintana, Wout, Sonny, Cav, anybody interesting who's not in the gc race to the sun.
Mr V to be v strong. Wout to not wait. Mr V to bridge to the break, attack Wout and win.

It's probably because Take That was a thing when I was very young, but I can't get "Wout won't wait, Wout won't wait" out of my head...

Okay. Wout will probably take care of Vingo.

Honestly, none of the guys who can go into a break is strong enough to win this. Pogacar will catch them all. He may not want to, but it will just happen.

Lutsenko will drop minutes.
Uran to cement his second place.
O'Connor and also Carapaz, unfortunately, will lose time.

This is such a tough stage, Pogacar in a league of his own can't be avoided. But Vingo will hold his own.

My predictions - Wednesday: a "random" Colombian from the break.

Still, Pog will win the Tour with more than 7'37" to second place.

i think ineos will go all out on this, they have really nothing else left...if not shame on them
Now or never for Carapaz otherwise the podium looks unlikely with better TT riders in front of him. Even if he does get a few seconds it probably won't be enough re the TT. If O'Connor has the legs he should try something as well but it seems at the moment from 2nd place to about 8th place the climbing level is very similar. Not sure Carapaz can make the gap he needs even if Ineos thin out the front group on the final climb. Apart from Pogacar the only one I think that could make an attack stick on the final climb is Vingegaard. Top 10 should fight out the finish, don't see the break surviving.

It's Kettorze Zhwiyè, but a French victory is unlikely. Gaudu won't be recovered from yesterday, G. Martin won't get the leeway and Barguil has crashed out.

So if the winner comes from the break it should be someone from outside the top 10 with decent climbing legs. A Colombian stage win would be nice. Esteban Chaves is the most likely to make that happen.

• Love