• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France Tour de France 2021, Stage 17: Muret – Saint-Lary-Soulan Col du Portet, 178.4 km

Page 22 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
As expected Pogacar aimed to win this stage. Strong tempo by McNulty and Majka and series of attacks by Pogacar. These attacks looked strong but Vingegaard and Carapaz covered them. Carapaz was looking like he was barely hanging on and I was very surprised that he managed to respond to Pog's attacks. It turned out that he bluffed and attacked hard in the last kilometer! It was strongest surge of them all but Pog kept his wheel and (as expected) he won at the end. Congrats! I measured time and it was about 48'20'' (VAM almost 1730 m/h).

Reactions: Sandisfan
I'm completely baffled by the Carapaz hate.

He had one bullet in his revolver today, he waited until the right moment, but it wasn't enough, so what?

It was his only chance against a much stronger rider.

CN forums want attacking riders, but when they attack on multiple stages and it doesn't work they get laughed at, and then when they finally elect to sit in a bit to launch one big attack they get moaned about if it works, and laughed at if it doesn't.

Ultimately if you're not riding everyone off your wheel at will you're a bit of a joke, and if you are riding everyone off your wheel you're in the clinic.

As expected Pogacar aimed to win this stage. Strong tempo by McNulty and Majka and series of attacks by Pogacar. These attacks looked strong but Vingegaard and Carapaz covered them. Carapaz was looking like he was barely hanging on and I was very surprised that he managed to respond to Pog's attacks. It turned out that he bluffed and attacked hard in the last kilometer! It was strongest surge of them all but Pog kept his wheel and (as expected) he won at the end. Congrats! I measured time and it was about 48'20'' (VAM almost 1730 m/h).
1'17 faster than Quintana.

But let's be real, today was a much easier stage than 2018.

Reactions: Sandisfan and yaco
Absolutely. I don't see any other reason for Carapaz to work. 0% reason to work. In fact, given the circumstances, Pogacar never should have asked the other riders for help. Why???

Carapaz had more reason to work than anyone. If he didn't distance Uran, he wasn't even getting on the podium. Pogacar could have done nothing and Vingegaards time trial is miles better than Carapaz's. Vingegaard and Pogacar basically just rode Carapaz on to the podium.

Mas didn't lose that much time at the end.
Yeah, he played it smart and rode at his own pace.
Sepp Kuss is still world class at playing possum, always looking great until he gets dropped.
Carapaz did what he had to do to win the stage, a single big attack near the end, but it didn't work.
Vingegaard looks a bit like the lovechild of Rasmussen and Horner. ;)

Carapaz had more reason to work than anyone. If he didn't distance Uran, he wasn't even getting on the podium. Pogacar could have done nothing and Vingegaards time trial is miles better than Carapaz's. Vingegaard and Pogacar basically just rode Carapaz on to the podium.
uh carapaz accomplished exactly that and even tried to pull a win out of his ass

TRENDING THREADS