• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France Tour de France 2021, Stage 18: Pau – Luz Ardiden, 129.7 km

Page 24 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
E6W2H3VXoAAY0W2

"I really wish he'd kept the panda outfit..."

In their defense, Pogacar is the best climber of the race. Same happened last year and in 2013 when Quintana won.
If someone like Rasmussen wants to win it they have to score points at the end of stages as well. So at the end of the day it is OK. We just don't like one guy taking everything.
Rasmussen is just the one guy that wouldn't have been affected much by the current points system as he actually could win stages or at least score mountain points from the favorites group as well. See 2005 & 2007! No GC and cherry picking stages like in 2006 wouldn't have been a disadvantage either.

Guys like him simply ride for a 9th place on general classification nowadays. Guys like Guillaume Martin & Domenico Pozzovivo have completely wasted careers compared to Barguil's impressive 2017 Tour de France!

Reactions: SHAD0W93
Yes, ASO should finally forget about Ala / Pinot winning TdF.
Next time the route should be designated for pure climbers.

The official LeTour site is just shameless in their cheerleading for Alaphilippe. This was in the earlier feed. Laughable especially when he ends the day 85 points behind. Along with constantly mentioning him in stage previews like "look out for" or "this sets up for"...blah blah blah. I know he's the most popular rider in France but this is pathetically blatant homerism.
8-E4480-E9-F5-A2-48-B8-8-B87-3-B0944-C78-F67.jpg

Reactions: hayneplane
The official LeTour site is just shameless in their cheerleading for Alaphilippe. This was in the earlier feed. Laughable especially when he ends the day 85 points behind. Along with constantly mentioning him in stage previews like "look out for" or "this sets up for"...blah blah blah. I know he's the most popular rider in France but this is pathetically blatant homerism.
8-E4480-E9-F5-A2-48-B8-8-B87-3-B0944-C78-F67.jpg

Okay... Danish commentators - well, mostly Dennis Ritter - was briefly playing with the thought that if Vingegaard won the stage, and Pogacar was third, or worse, then Vingegaard would've won the dots. He then quickly pointed out that it was very unlikely. I still think that would've been more likely than the scenario mentioned above...
Note this was after they'd gone over Tourmalet.

I guess this silly pressure is what makes Alaphilippe attack stupidly even more. Wants to show off the rainbows or something... hopefully it will get a bit better once he got rid of those stripes...

But in Germany many of the viewers questions deal with Buchmann, like he's a factor in this race... :flushed:

I just read in an interview with Vingegaard that he was not feeling great today. Maybe his conversation late in the stage with Kuss was about having Sepp ride in front to discourage a Carapaz attack. Just guessing. But if this is a bad day for Jonas, it bodes well for days when he's feeling good.

I agree with luckyboy. However nothing will change the outcome of Pogacar winning. What I don't want to see are the Indurain's tours. Those were probably the worst. Killing everyone in the Time Trials and then defending in the mountains.
Agree. It was like five years of watching Road Runner cartoons, hoping the coyete(climber) would win, but knowing that such a thing was impossible.

Reactions: gunara
Yeah when the best climber is also the best time trialist you can't do anything.

But in modern cycling we've seen it's much easier for top time trialists to limit losses in mountains vs top climbers learning to be world class in TT.

So the reality is that there are a handful of top clas time trialists but a lot of top climbers. And I think GTs should be designed to have as much competition as possible instead of just sticking to a formula that means only 2-3 people can because of tradition. Even the Vuelta this year has too many TT kms for me lol.
Bissegger, Küng, Ganna etc. can limit their losses in the mountains more easily than Carapaz, Landa, Bernal etc. can limit their losses in the TTs???

Oops, I forgot you restricted yourself to a sample of only top climbers ...

With the same fallacy in play it's also clear that height doesn't matter in basketball.

I would much rather see grand racing between 3 contenders than 10 riders following wheels, thinking they can end on the podium that way.

This was a dull mountain stage to finish a dull Tour de France which took a nosedive in terms of entertainment once Pogacar hammered everyone in the Alps (& Roglic was out). The stage was badly designed as well (i.e. they needed another climb before the Tourmalet in order to create a bigger selection & have a proper breakaway up the road for riders like Gaudu to join). In the end it was merely a race by elimination & the top 3 guys reached the top first. Boring.

It's also a top-heavy Tour where only a select few teams & riders seem capable of having any impact on the race. Even back in the "dark ages" of the early 2000's there were climber teams like Euskaltel to blow stuff up in the mountains whereas now there's no one.

TRENDING THREADS