• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France Tour de France 2021, Stage 9: Cluses – Tignes, 144.9 km

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
It looks like even the politically correct sections of the forum slowly stops playing the game. Interestingly, if you ignore the Slovenian Armstrong then the GC situation is seriously interesting. You have a Belgian flahute with slight Merckx implications having around 3mins on the main GC bunch including an agressive Equadorian who's showing good form. He also has a very good teammate in Vingegaard who also seems like riding for himself. if Van Aert will keep where he's right now he may end up very high in GC. With Ventoux and especially Portet (no descent) it may be a hard task to fend off the likes of Carapaz but a top 7 or even top 5 may not be that impossible? Also an interesting ingredient to this GC soup is Lutsenko, who on paper is a slightly more mountainous Van Aert and like him is a bit less predictable. Also wonder, how far will G. Martin advance in GC if he'll be going for breakaways. Yea, if you ignore Pog and made E. Mas loose hours so Movistar won't be Movistar then this could be a very tense, interesting race.

Also, the rest day poll should be about who'll end up 2nd and 3rd.

Assuming he does, is the MTF (very long, low gradients) ideal for him?
I think Carapaz is very good on lower gradients -> Courmayeur 2019, Leukerbad 2021 and an interview held either after the Courmayeur stage or after winning the Giro?

It looks like even the politically correct sections of the forum slowly stops playing the game. Interestingly, if you ignore the Slovenian Armstrong then the GC situation is seriously interesting. You have a Belgian flahute with slight Merckx implications having around 3mins on the main GC bunch including an agressive Equadorian who's showing good form. He also has a very good teammate in Vingegaard who also seems like riding for himself. if Van Aert will keep where he's right now he may end up very high in GC. With Ventoux and especially Portet (no descent) it may be a hard task to fend off the likes of Carapaz but a top 7 or even top 5 may not be that impossible? Also an interesting ingredient to this GC soup is Lutsenko, who on paper is a slightly more mountainous Van Aert and like him is a bit less predictable. Also wonder, how far will G. Martin advance in GC if he'll be going for breakaways. Yea, if you ignore Pog and made E. Mas loose hours so Movistar won't be Movistar then this could be a very tense, interesting race.

Also, the rest day poll should be about who'll end up 2nd and 3rd.
Depending on how tomorrow goes, I think at the latest after Ventoux Van Aert tanks the GC and focuses on stages and prep for the OG.

Reactions: Pinot's goat
A real Cannibal will want to take this stage and Pogacar probably will. A 10 minute gap by Paris looks like a given. There are plenty of other stages where he can rest up but he will want this one I think. Don't see the break surviving. At least the Green jersey could become an actual competition...............

A real Cannibal will want to take this stage and Pogacar probably will. A 10 minute gap by Paris looks like a given. There are plenty of other stages where he can rest up but he will want this one I think. Don't see the break surviving. At least the Green jersey could become an actual competition...............
Agreed. The following day is a rest day, so stage 9 will probably be a horror show. Few will survive.

Reactions: movingtarget
Apr 30, 2021
Visit site
Teuns will win this stage.

I do hope that Pogacar decides that he wants to win it, but unfortunately I think he'll leave it for others today

Probably yes, but ... it's a rainy (Pogi) stage and Pogačar won both the 9th stage at Vuelta2019 and the 9th stage at Tour2020. If he's superstitious, then ...