• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France Tour de France 2021, Stage 9: Cluses – Tignes, 144.9 km

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Would've thought that UAE leans away the yellow jersey to someone like Ben O'Connor today and that Ineos agrees to this. Because O'Connor obviously might be strong enough to keep it until the Pyrenees, but lose enough time there finally.

But 8 minutes is a huge amount of time. If I was EF I wouldn't let him go that far away, because Uran hasn't looked that convincing either. Astana & Lutsenko gonna be in defence mode anyway from here on. So they just can't afford to shut down these kind of moves if UAE & Ineos agree not to chase them.

Quintana has ambitions for polka dots. Poels showed them as well yesterday, but he's just too inconsistent. Kuss could be Jumbo's new (Co) leader, given Vingegaard fell yesterday. Guillaume Martin isn't out, but probably to close on the general classification to contest. Although his time trial is so miserable that not only Pogacar & Carapaz, but even Lutsenko & Uran might not bother. Gaudu bothers though.

Tao Geoghegan Hart could be given a free role from here on as well. Because IMHO Carapaz doesn't need a full train to finish 2nd. So what counts for Jumbo & Kuss counts for Ineos & Hart as well.

Makes sense for VDP to leave now, this race got a bit out hand and he looks knackered, today doesn't look any easier.

Piddles must be rubbing his hands together watching it.

It was a brilliant, memorable backfoot defence of yellow though, really lit up the race as expected.
He actually looks completely fine and he also said yesterday he didn't force himself and still feels good.
He was only momentarily knackered after the 250km stage.

I don't think Pidders is rubbing his hands together. He would be if VDP did the full 3 weeks. Now there's plenty of time to recover and he only did 1 mountain stage.

Reactions: Kaptain Kool
Would've thought that UAE leans away the yellow jersey to someone like Ben O'Connor today and that Ineos agrees to this. Because O'Connor obviously might be strong enough to keep it until the Pyrenees, but lose enough time there finally.

But 8 minutes is a huge amount of time. If I was EF I wouldn't let him go that far away, because Uran hasn't looked that convincing either. Astana & Lutsenko gonna be in defence mode anyway from here on. So they just can't afford to shut down these kind of moves if UAE & Ineos agree not to chase them.

Quintana has ambitions for polka dots. Poels showed them as well yesterday, but he's just too inconsistent. Kuss could be Jumbo's new (Co) leader, given Vingegaard fell yesterday. Guillaume Martin isn't out, but probably to close on the general classification to contest. Although his time trial is so miserable that not only Pogacar & Carapaz, but even Lutsenko & Uran might not bother. Gaudu bothers though.

Tao Geoghegan Hart could be given a free role from here on as well. Because IMHO Carapaz doesn't need a full train to finish 2nd. So what counts for Jumbo & Kuss counts for Ineos & Hart as well.
It would have been easier to let Van Aert take yellow yesterday. I think Pogi keeps it to Paris.

Reactions: Sandisfan