• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France Tour de France 2021, Stage 9: Cluses – Tignes, 144.9 km

Page 28 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
was it 40 mins + the cut off time, or he was just 40 minutes behind? They talked about him on eurosport and he didn't seem that far behind.
Per the CN article he was 40 over the cutoff

Nic Dlamini (Qhubeka NextHash) crossed the line alone, finishing after seven o’clock, and an hour and 25 minutes after Ben O’Connor (AG2R-Citroen) won the stage.

He was 40 minutes outside the time limit of 37:20

What's up with the "fignon84" hashtag? What does that mean?

I believe @Eclipse already gave you the reason. It's basically to limit how much I repeat myself. I have suggested from months ago that (barring accident or illness) I expected Pog's second TDF to be much like Fignon's second in 1984. In 1983, Fignon surprised everyone in his first TDF and won at the very young age of 22. But it was hardly domination -- one stage win maybe, etc. However, in 1984 he entirely dominated everyone, including hinault and lemond, almost winning mountain stages because he couldn't help himself, he was so dominant, flying above the field and even "laughing" at hinault when the latter attacked before l'Alpe -- because he knew he would easily catch and fly by the older champion.

It also exemplifies the type of growth and improvement that likely would happen in one year at such a young age.

I fully expected Pog to destroy the field (just as Fignon did that year).

Thus #fignon84.

:)

Hors délai
166 221 COQUARD Bryan BBK FRA 5h06'54" 40'11"
167 183 *DE BOD Stefan APT RSA 5h08'00" 41'17"
168 83 DEMARE Arnaud GFC FRA 5h08'21" 41'38"
169 217 VLIEGEN Loïc IWG BEL 5h08'25" 41'42"
170 84 GUARNIERI Jacopo GFC ITA 5h19'19" 52'36"
171 133 DELAPLACE Anthony ARK FRA 5h19'19" ' '
172 196 DLAMINI Nicholas TQA RSA 5h50'44" 1h24'01"

Abandon
103 MERLIER Tim AFC BEL
126 PETERS Nans ACT FRA
152 DE BUYST Jasper LTS BEL

Non partant
11 ROGLIC Primo� TJV SLO
101 VAN DER POEL Mathieu AFC NED

Hard days for the race. I hope nobody is readmited

Jesus Christ, this Tour may as well have been a one week race. Theres no competition in the GC and the already extremely poor sprinting field has been further demolished. The funniest consequence is that Cavendish now has to be better than evens to beat the Merckx stage record.
If he survives the Ventoux stage I will be surprised, he hasn't completed a grand tour for about six years but if he does hats off. Matthews is waiting in the wings.

If he survives the Ventoux stage I will be surprised, he hasn't completed a grand tour for about six years but if he does hats off. Matthews is waiting in the wings.
He was OTL in 2018 on a brutal couple of days that eliminated a bunch of other sprinters, and he crashed out in 2017. He survived the Alps this year when some of the guys who survived 2018 (like Demare) didn’t make it. It’s possible that he won’t make it through 3 weeks, but all indications from his season so far (Turkey, Baloise) are that if anything, he’ll get stronger as the race goes on.

By contrast, in 2019 he was barely finishing races and only occasionally making the top 10. He’s clearly sorted out whatever was ailing him, be it Epstein-Barr, lack of confidence, whatever.

Too be fair, he withdrew in 2016 for the Olympics and showed no reason why he couldn’t finish the race. The other years he had other circumstances. Unless he severely cracks Quickstep will do al they can to get him inside the time limit.

Reactions: jmdirt
If this what happens without a train, I am all for it. Some vintage cycling this.That's a very strong group. Could push some guys back into top 5 contention here if they gain a bunch of time.
If made for a great stage. I dare say UAE will be reluctant to allow anyone sitting within 10 minutes on gc get up the road in future. That will of course be easier as there are fewer and fewer riders within 10 minutes.

What's up with the "fignon84" hashtag? What does that mean?

I thought it was some modern day slang for nonfic.

Well, it would explain why riders of the calibre of Froome, Thomas, Nibali and Roglic have been hiding in the autobus. In this day and age it's the only way to escape the prying eyes of Big Brother.

I'm still trying to work out if Pogacar is from Oceania, Eastasia, or Euroasia though.

• Wow
Yes in mountain biking, so needs an extra days to switch bikes and recover since the race is 3 weeks from today.

I guess he was planning to ride until the first rest day at least but no need to risk getting sick in this weather with little to no reward.
yeah I think it was a late decision not to start. I think they originally planned the rest day, saw the weather and were like "ok we take no risks".

André Greipel:
In Erinnerung bleiben wird Greipel allerdings die zweite Alpenetappe nach Tignes, wo die erste Ankunft im Hochgebirge auf das Peloton wartete. "Eine solche Etappe habe ich noch nie erlebt bei meinen bisherigen zehn Teilnahmen“, berichtete der dreimalige Deutsche Meister. “Damit meine ich zum Beispiel meinen Durchschnittswattwert, den ich treten musste, um im Zeitlimit zu bleiben. Ich hatte 325 Watt über 5 Stunden und 10 Minuten oder so."

Greipel will remember, however, the second Alpine stage to Tignes, where the first arrival in the high mountains was waiting for the peloton. "I've never seen a stage like this in my ten participations so far," reported the three-time German champion. "By that I mean, for example, my average watt value that I had to pedal to stay within the time limit. I had 325 watts over 5 hours and 10 minutes or so."

Reactions: SHAD0W93

TRENDING THREADS