• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France Tour de France 2022 route rumors thread.

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Hills acquired?

Passing by these giant fans?

21ff6bb8-4394-4138-9154-6af1de4d4881-2060x1236.jpeg

Those aren't fans. Those are wind turbines! Basically the opposite of fans.
Fans use electricity to make wind.
Wind turbines use wind to make electricity.

• Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan
I think Danish hills would always disappoint, and furthermore increase the risk of a crashfest. While it would have to be a long stage (given that there's no way around visiting Jellingstenene), I would have preferred if stage 3 went by Ribe and Vadehavet, and for the finish-line to be at the top of Dybbøl Banke.
To give an example of the above mentioned alternative route for the third stage (which would be 226 km long):
80QJvnf.png

Siltoftvej is an option for an even more exposed road, but it's also somewhat narrow.

As for the rest of the route, rumours point to Lille for the first rest day after the Danish start. From what I've read there's more pointing to cobbles and hilly stages in the first week and no concrete rumour of any TTT (despite what I've speculated might be in the cards).

To give an example of the above mentioned alternative route for the third stage (which would be 226 km long):
80QJvnf.png

Siltoftvej is an option for an even more exposed road, but it's also somewhat narrow.

As for the rest of the route, rumours point to Lille for the first rest day after the Danish start. From what I've read there's more pointing to cobbles and hilly stages in the first week and no concrete rumour of any TTT (despite what I've speculated might be in the cards).

I also like this stage a lot, with it being a mix between the TdF stage and the one they're riding in this year's Tour of Denmark, but I can also see why it's not chosen for the Tour and also why it probably shouldn't be either.

I guess one of the problems here is also that they would probably have to close down both of the bridges between Als and the "mainland" for a longer period of time than they have to during the ToD (though it is on a Sunday, so it could actually be easy enough to do).
And although they only sprint a short while on the Dybbøl cobbles (if they use the exact same finish line as in ToD), it could possibly still be a dangerous finish for a TdF peloton, especially in wet conditions. Of course they wouldn't be riding Jomfrustien, which would be even more dangerous.

They are however riding the climb and the full cobbled section from the opposite direction, but it probably won't make any difference, though someone could use it for a late attack.

What I don't really get is why they are using the Dybbøl finish in the ToD this year, if they want to attract sprinters who will possibly do the Tour next year.

Last edited:
Neither of the bridges are used in this design, but while one would probably be if not closed then not much of use, Sønderborgmotorvejen would be completely open. (You can zoom in on the map in the link posted).

I didn't even know this year's route for Danmark Rundt, but if the Tour were to finish on Dybbøl Banke I don't think they should do a loop in Sønderborg (this year is the same finish it seems as previously in Danmark Rundt). I think the final 300 m on cobbles are harmless, certainly no more dangerous than going in the opposite direction.

Neither of the bridges are used in this design, but while one would probably be if not closed then not much of use, Sønderborgmotorvejen would be completely open. (You can zoom in on the map in the link posted).

I didn't even know this year's route for Danmark Rundt, but if the Tour were to finish on Dybbøl Banke I don't think they should do a loop in Sønderborg (this year is the same finish it seems as previously in Danmark Rundt). I think the final 300 m on cobbles are harmless, certainly no more dangerous than going in the opposite direction.

I couldn't zoom in quite enough to see whether it did cross the bridges or not. This deisign would definitely work then, but I guess the Sønderborg Municipality has demanded that the route also goes through the city.

You're probably right about the cobbles not being that dangerous. It not being the widest of roads would probably be more crucial than the surface.

I couldn't zoom in quite enough to see whether it did cross the bridges or not. This deisign would definitely work then, but I guess the Sønderborg Municipality has demanded that the route also goes through the city.

You're probably right about the cobbles not being that dangerous. It not being the widest of roads would probably be more crucial than the surface.
Zoom of the map

Danmark Rundt had the finish line just before the cobbles (so 300 m earlier than what I mapped) in 2016 and the road is more than wide enough for a Tour peloton (it helps that it's uphill, it's as wide as the uphill finish in Epernay in 2019).

CcJcWm2.jpeg

The major problem is omitting not just Sønderborg proper, but also Kolding, Aabenraa and Haderslev. (And to a minor extend Christiansfeld)

Last edited:
Reactions: Samu Cuenca
Christian Prudhomme insisted that the airport should be within 5 km from the finish line, which pretty much eliminated the pre-proposed Vejle finish.

But they could have made a much better stage 3 by starting the stage in Odense (much closer to Nyborg) with a flat finish on wide roads in Billund (right in front of Legoland). And as a bonus, the airport in Billund is much larger and even closer to the end destination .

Christian Prudhomme insisted that the airport should be within 5 km from the finish line, which pretty much eliminated the pre-proposed Vejle finish.

But they could have made a much better stage 3 by starting the stage in Odense (much closer to Nyborg) with a flat finish on wide roads in Billund (right in front of Legoland). And as a bonus, the airport in Billund is much larger and even closer to the end destination .

Odense - Billund (190 km)

Start: St. Canute's Cathedral, Odense
Finish: Hotel Legoland/Åstvej, Billund

Sk-rmbillede-2021-07-29-kl-19-47-28.png

Sprint: Kiddesvej (300 m of 13%)

Hill 1: Côte d'Højen Skovvej (About 1 km of 7%)

hojen-skovvej-pedersholm.png

Hill 2: Côte d'Blue Hors (About 1 km of 6%)

blue-horse-tingkaervej.png

Hill 3: Côte d'Østengård (About 1 km of 7.5%)

ostengard-ostengardvej.png

Hill 4: Côte de Gl. Kongevej/Chr Winthers Vej (500 m of 13%)

kongebakken-vejle.png

The dangers of sprinting on sett/belgian block cobbles (the mildest form of cobbles) is vastly overestimated, especially uphill. Otherwise, Champs-Élysées wouldn't be a thing.

Denmark doesn't have any challenging cobblestone sectors with the exception of Dimen in Aabenraa which should be a Flanders-esque climb. I haven't actually tried it but from what I've heard the stones are rougher than those in De Ronde.

The dangers of sprinting on sett/belgian block cobbles (the mildest form of cobbles) is vastly overestimated, especially uphill. Otherwise, Champs-Élysées wouldn't be a thing.

Denmark doesn't have any challenging cobblestone sectors with the exception of Dimen in Aabenraa which should be a Flanders-esque climb. I haven't actually tried it but from what I've heard the stones are rougher than those in De Ronde.

I don't think there has ever been a race, not even on the Danish domestic scene, that has finished on Slotsgaden in Møgeltønder. It has been used multiple times in races, but never as a finishing point.
It's the worst road I have ever ridden in Denmark (Dimen is definitely harder, but I haven't ridden that either), and while it obviously isn't as difficult for the pros, and even though I would be interested in seeing it being used as a finish, I don't think it will ever happen in the Tour of Denmark and certainly not in a Grand Tour. One of the reasons is also that the finish line would probably always be placed in Tønder if the municipality is paying for it.

Reactions: Velolover2
Let's not push it.
And this was a pretty conservative race design with the climbs being far from the finish.

A stage with a pure Vejle finish (not Kiddesvej) could eliminate all sprinters a turn it into a super-nervous GC-tier stage. Vejle's problem is not the narrow roads but the abundance of corners, roundabouts, traffic islands, railway crossings, bollards, speed bumps and other obstacles. It could quickly become really dangerous.

I don't think there has ever been a race, not even on the Danish domestic scene, that has finished on Slotsgaden in Møgeltønder. It has been used multiple times in races, but never as a finishing point.
It's the worst road I have ever ridden in Denmark (Dimen is definitely harder, but I haven't ridden that either), and while it obviously isn't as difficult for the pros, and even though I would be interested in seeing it being used as a finish, I don't think it will ever happen in the Tour of Denmark and certainly not in a Grand Tour. One of the reasons is also that the finish line would probably always be placed in Tønder if the municipality is paying for it.
The cobbles in Møgeltønder have some potential as being a part of a longer circuit. You could start stage on the windy West coast and finish with 3 loops around Tønder (which includes those cobbles).

Reactions: Samu Cuenca
And this was a pretty conservative race design with the climbs being far from the finish.

A stage with a pure Vejle finish (not Kiddesvej) could eliminate all sprinters a turn it into a super-nervous GC-tier stage. Vejle's problem is not the narrow roads but the abundance of corners, roundabouts, traffic islands, railway crossings, bollards, speed bumps and other obstacles. It could quickly become really dangerous.

When these climbs and Vejle are used in the Tour of Denmark they are meant to be decisive for the general classification, but that's not really the point of a third stage in the Tour. And if they have an early cobbled stage in France, there will be action in the first week.
But on the other hand this is a Sunday stage right before a rest day, so it would also have made sense, if it were a harder one where a bunch sprint at least wouldn't be 99.9% guaranteed.

Reactions: Velolover2
When these climbs and Vejle are used in the Tour of Denmark they are meant to be decisive for the general classification, but that's not really the point of a third stage in the Tour. And if they have an early cobbled stage in France, there will be action in the first week.
But on the other hand this is a Sunday stage right before a rest day, so it would also have made sense, if it were a harder one where a bunch sprint at least wouldn't be 99.9% guaranteed.
While my bid is a lot hillier, it still has a 95% chance of becoming a mass sprint. But I'm sure a lot of Danish riders wants honor a such route on home soil.

Sk-rmbillede-2021-07-29-kl-23-55-28.png

The current "climbs "(Koldingvej, Hejlsmindebakken, Sønderballevej) can not even be described as hills. They are 3-4% uphill drags. But I suppose it's all about selling the country from its best angles.

From reading the comments on velowire, it seems likely that the first week will have cobbles in the first French stage and that the weekend (starting Friday) will have finishes on PdBF, Les Rousses (Station des Rousses), and a downhill finish from Grand Colombier.

The overall structure will probably be similar to 2017 with Vosges -> Jura -> Pyrenees -> Massif Central -> Alps

TRENDING THREADS