• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France Tour de France 2022 route rumors thread.

Page 14 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The AdH article refers to the men's race. The Vosges will be the only mountains in the women's race by the looks of things, although PBF won't be the only decisive stage with two rumoured stage hosts in the Alsace at the foot of the mountains, and the same finale to Epernay as in the 2019 Tour.

Rough outline for the women's race:
Stage 1: Champs-Elysées
Other stage hosts, in order from closest to Paris to closest to PBF:
Provins (slightly hilly)
Épernay (hilly, probable HTF)
Bar-sur-Aube (slightly hilly, probably similar to this year's Avenir stage)
(probably one stage in between these two, there's still at least one finish unknown and the distance is very large for a transfer)
Sélestat (see below)
Rosheim (these are very close together so could be on the same stage; mid-mountain)
Stage 8 (final stage): PBF finish (with the stupid gravel ramp at the end; Ballon d'Alsace will also be on the route, either here or on a Stage 7 that comes after the stage(s) at Sélestat and Rosheim)

Wonderful that Libertine Seguros' dream of seeing Lizzie Deignan secure yellow on PDBF is now a possible reality.

If there is any truth to the parcours in La Flamme Rouge it will be another ugly route. I don't understand the love affair of ASO with the short stages. I just don't understand it. Once the stages are short it makes it a power meter race. Bunch of power mountains. Like who cares about recovery and endurance anymore. It makes me so mad!

it's waiting for the details now (unfortunately, normally all profiles are only there next year june). In princeple, the arrival cities for next year (besides the mountain top finishes) offers quite some possibility to make interesting races. Around Calais (somewhate south of it) are plenty of hills and a AGR like route is possible. The next day to Arenberg can have plenty of cobbles, the next day to longwy could be Ardennes like if they want. Also Lausanne should not necessarily be a sprinter stage (it will be), but a punchy final is possible. Also Chatel, Megeve, St. Etienne can be very mountainious if they want.

Also the details in the mountain stages can still be a importance. The information so far is not promising in that direction. For exemple, a proper queen stage with Madeleine before galibier, how dificult do they make stages like Megeve, Mende, Foix.

I wonder if this is a huge issue with many of the really good potential climbs, like Col de la Loze and Chamrousse
Yes, I can imagine ASO willing to take money from every ski resort along the way even if they don't host the stage finish.

Finestre - Sestriere - Monginevro would be far too easy for a classic tour stage. May be a good Gouvenou special though
It'd be in line with the Cuneo-Pinerolo "tributes" of recent Giros, unless they start from Bourg St Maurice.

Getting back to this proposed route again: first stage in the Alps is stage 10, which is the easiest of 3 stages, but this problem (of having it probably be a totally wasted stage as far as gc is concerned) could easily be solved by making these stages 9-11 rather than 10-12, and having this first stage in this mountain chain BEFORE the rest day. That would also give an added bonus of having that stage on a weekend.

I still don't understand how they don't understand how to use the stages surrounding rest days wisely.

Maybe ASO should follow RCS and create some tribute stages in the Tour. Some of these for example:

There's nothing more tribute to itself in the tour than Pau-Bagneres de Luchon. That was great in 1983, but not anymore.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Sestiere just needs to throw some money at ASO so that we get a Finestre stage with Iseran and Cenis early on :cool:
2007 start and finish lines are enough.

KkwhNyf.png

on the grupetto forum one of the members mentioned that Radio Pays de Savoie told that Madeleine would be in the stage before Galibier. That would make it a proper queen stage.

Madelaine - Telegraphe - Galibier - Granon. That's 160k with three HC climbs over 2000 meters. Not bad.

France Bleu dicards the Sarenne crap today and speaks about the classic LADH approach via the 21 hairpins.

Madelaine - Telegraphe - Galibier - Granon. That's 160k with three HC climbs over 2000 meters. Not bad.

France Bleu dicards the Sarenne crap today and speaks about the classic LADH approach via the 21 hairpins.

I'm afraid it will be a briancon - Izoard - Lautaret - classic alpe. Three 'big' alp climbs of course, but not really a interesting stage design, because of Lautaret (big road, lots of wind and very gentil slopes) nothing will happen before alpe d'huez.

I don't see any other realistic alternative. Maybe only a Lautaret - alpe sprint stage. Other options seems unlikey Galibier/Croix de Ver. Or the on some forums rumoured Solude, which seems not ASO proof.

Anyone with a better suggestion?

• Wow
That would be great. Though it could make the stages in the Pyrenees look even weaker. I realize that they don't have to be as hard, but even so.
Aren't there rumours about a Aubisque - Spandelles - Hautacam stage in the Pyrenees? If they do that and that Granon stage, I will be fairly satisfied even if the rest of the mountain stages are "boring" and they do Alpe d'Huez (again), Peyragudes (again) and Belles Filles (again)......

Aren't there rumours about a Aubisque - Spandelles - Hautacam stage in the Pyrenees? If they do that and that Granon stage, I will be fairly satisfied even if the rest of the mountain stages are "boring" and they do Alpe d'Huez (again), Peyragudes (again) and Belles Filles (again)......

Well, the issue with the Hautacam stage would be the order of the Pyrenees stages. E very weak one to Foix (medium mountain), a medium mountain stage with finish at peyragudes and than the pyrenees queen stage.

A better order would have been to have a HC finish on plateau de Beille or the 2019 Foix stage in the first of the Pyrenees stages. Than a long one with multiple climbs to Peyragudes (not original neither). And last one with Marie Blanque before Aubisque and Spandelles with finish in Lourdes.

A better order would have been to have a HC finish on plateau de Beille or the 2019 Foix stage in the first of the Pyrenees stages. Than a long one with multiple climbs to Peyragudes (not original neither). And last one with Marie Blanque before Aubisque and Spandelles with finish in Lourdes.
Well, yes. But I really don't have too high hopes for the Pyrenees any more. And what you outline here includes using almost all the tough climbs in the French Pyrenees (except Tourmaelt and the ones in the Basque part) in one Tour version. I can't remember the last time that happened. The Alps have much bigger potential for good variation and good mountain stages. Utilizing that potential and focus more on creating tough medium mountain stages should be first priority IMO.

Well, yes. But I really don't have too high hopes for the Pyrenees any more. And what you outline here includes using almost all the tough climbs in the French Pyrenees (except Tourmaelt and the ones in the Basque part) in one Tour version. I can't remember the last time that happened. The Alps have much bigger potential for good variation and good mountain stages. Utilizing that potential and focus more on creating tough medium mountain stages should be first priority IMO.

yes, sure, the point was more that I would have like more something like Foix 2019 and no Hautacam as it can block action in the other 2 pyrenees stages. Not necessarily that all 3 of the pyrenees stages has to be super difficult

Guys, Finestre is such a monster climb on its own that it can cause carnage when coupled with Sestriere (without any additional climbs) but Mont Cenis is a natural preceeding climb there.

Alpe d'Huez finish seems very likely. Given that Alps are first (GC still not set) and Pogi likes conquering famous MTFs (Luz Ardiden, Portet, Grand Colombiere, PDBF) we may see some historic performance there. Or maybe not, too many questions would follow for the rest of the Tour :p

Guys, Finestre is such a monster climb on its own that it can cause carnage when coupled with Sestriere (without any additional climbs) but Mont Cenis is a natural preceeding climb there.

Alpe d'Huez finish seems very likely. Given that Alps are first (GC still not set) and Pogi likes conquering famous MTFs (Luz Ardiden, Portet, Grand Colombiere, PDBF) we may see some historic performance there. Or maybe not, too many questions would follow for the rest of the Tour :p

Yes, Finestre is the hardest climb in all of cycling and the peloton has always exploded over it.

However, I'd like to see it be the 3rd or 4th climb. Let the riders hit the Finestre tired and have a real endurance stage. Let ther ebe only a group of 40-50 at the base of Finestre. Of course, the modern peloton would whine and threaten a boycott if there was a stage harder than the 1992 Sestrieres stage, which the one I proposed would be

• Wow
Yes, Finestre is the hardest climb in all of cycling and the peloton has always exploded over it.

However, I'd like to see it be the 3rd or 4th climb. Let the riders hit the Finestre tired and have a real endurance stage. Let ther ebe only a group of 40-50 at the base of Finestre. Of course, the modern peloton would whine and threaten a boycott if there was a stage harder than the 1992 Sestrieres stage, which the one I proposed would be

The cyclists would probably be too afraid of Finestre and would ride at a very slow tempo before (allowing a breakaway to gain 15 or so minutes). But if some team/cyclist willed to explode the race before then there would be huge time differeneces at the end.

Madeleine will not make any difference.
Telegraphe-galibier to make the selection in the peloton, and then attacks on granon, a such difficult climb that can make a lot of difference.
Nobody is gonna do nothing on Madeleine with telegraphe-galibier and then granon ahead.
The peloton will not push hard on Madeleine when they know that they have more difficult climbs in the end of the stage.

• Wow

TRENDING THREADS