• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France Tour de France 2022: Second rest day thread

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will finish with yellow in Paris?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
hmm. one week in and some of the riders who targeted the TDF and showed themselves throughout the spring are falling by the wayside...Vlasov, O'Connor, Martinez...

meanwhile, riders that were largely non-existent early in the season...Thomas, Mas, Vingo are performing very well.

other than pog, of course.

its such a crap shoot. other than pog, not sure it is worth it for any other rider to focus solely on the TDF.

Latest:

"According to our information, everyone tested negative for the following teams: Lotto-Soudal, Intermarché Wanty-Gobert, Quick.Step Alpha-Vinyl, Alpecin-Deceuninck, Trek-Segafredo, AG2R, Team UAE and Jumbo Visma."

That's great news!

hmm. one week in and some of the riders who targeted the TDF and showed themselves throughout the spring are falling by the wayside...Vlasov, O'Connor, Martinez...

meanwhile, riders that were largely non-existent early in the season...Thomas, Mas, Vingo are performing very well.

other than pog, of course.

its such a crap shoot. other than pog, not sure it is worth it for any other rider to focus solely on the TDF.
Somewhat curious how you place O'Connor in the category of guys who showed themselves in the early season and Vingegaard in the category of guys who were largely non-existent. Without looking at the Dauphiné Vingegaard has a 2nd and 6th place in WT 1 week stage races, while O'Connor has a 5th and 6th place in arguably weaker WT 1 week stage races.

Reactions: Big Doopie
Somewhat curious how you place O'Connor in the category of guys who showed themselves in the early season and Vingegaard in the category of guys who were largely non-existent. Without looking at the Dauphiné Vingegaard has a 2nd and 6th place in WT 1 week stage races, while O'Connor has a 5th and 6th place in arguably weaker WT 1 week stage races.

because more is expected from vingo. for someone who was second at the TDF on the merits, until dauphine, his season was wholly underwhelming.

much less is expected from o'connor who kind of "fluked" his way to 4th place last year.

seems like it is best to get almost no wins before the dauphine/TdS if you want to do well at TDF.

i find that disappointing...

Last edited:
Mas too has had a great spring, performance wise. He unfortunately just crashed out of results.

He got 2nd in Tirreno after Pogacar including in 2 stages. Only Itzulia was underwhelming

i expect more from a 25 (?) year old who performed so well at the TDF. how many wins did he have before dauphine... one, i think, in a fourth rate race. a shame.

i like my WvAs, my Pogs, my Remcos who line up each time to win. I hate this "using/wasting an entire spring schedule simply to train" stuff. just my 2 cents.

When the litter thing came up..I was saying no way race officials would penalize a guy out of the yellow jersey for pitching a few gel wrappers and water bottles on the deck outside the trash zone..glad it didn't happen..but getting DNS list of riders who test positive but are asymptomatic..I will be heartbroken if top contenders are DQ'd for a positive and the GC is shaken up anywhere but on the road....also super happy about Jumbo Visma going into last weeks..everyone can crack..let's see if Pog really is superman..

There’s not nearly enough humor here for a rest-day thread, but at least we have one coffee-stop photo. I guess there’s some humor in folks continuing to debate who was stronger at the Dauphine and extrapolate that to projected performance the next two weeks.
We have two of the most important stages coming up midweek that will tell us a whole lot more where things really stand (e.g., has Roglic recovered decently from his crash or is he still just hanging on? does Pogacar really do worse in the heat? can Nairo put together 2 good climbing performances in a row? Can Powless really hang in and not drop gobs of time in the high mountains stages? will Climate-Justice Now end up being the closest stage finisher to Pogacar if he goes gonzo one of those days?). So definitely looking forward to possible answers to those and other questions even if the stages don’t pan out to be exciting as we would like. :)
p.s. More rest-day, roadside coffee-stop photos please. ;)

i expect more from a 25 (?) year old who performed so well at the TDF. how many wins did he have before dauphine... one, i think, in a fourth rate race. a shame.

i like my WvAs, my Pogs, my Remcos who line up each time to win. I hate this "using/wasting an entire spring schedule simply to train" stuff. just my 2 cents.
Did you also hate Sastre and preferred Contador instead?

Somehow Vingo doesn't look to me like someone who's gonna rack tons of wins.
He is very good but not the best TTer, he is a great climber, who is supposed to be the best on the long climbs. Not too punchy, so he'll get beaten on the line by faster guys.

You don't have tons of racing in his preferred terrain in the spring, that's why he looks a bit underwhelming.

My observation may be all wrong, but he may very well be a guy who has a lot of high GC placings/wins but very few stage wins.

Last edited:
There’s not nearly enough humor here for a rest-day thread, but at least we have one coffee-stop photo. I guess there’s some humor in folks continuing to debate who was stronger at the Dauphine and extrapolate that to projected performance the next two weeks.
We have two of the most important stages coming up midweek that will tell us a whole lot more where things really stand (e.g., has Roglic recovered decently from his crash or is he still just hanging on? does Pogacar really do worse in the heat? can Nairo put together 2 good climbing performances in a row? Can Powless really hang in and not drop gobs of time in the high mountains stages? will Climate-Justice Now end up being the closest stage finisher to Pogacar if he goes gonzo one of those days?). So definitely looking forward to possible answers to those and other questions even if the stages don’t pan out to be exciting as we would like. :)
p.s. More rest-day, roadside coffee-stop photos please. ;)

No roadshide coffee-stop, but the Intermarche guys are/were rather chill:

TRENDING THREADS