• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France Tour de France 2022: Stage 5 (Lille Métropole – Arenberg Porte du Hainaut, 157k)

Page 43 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re-posted from the Roglic thread.

I think the worst part is not him crashing, but his whole team riding past him. You could see in point he was only like 10 or 15 seconds behind the cars of that chasing group. It's so weird that they just rode away.

Here is a graph with time differences, where you can see he and Hooydonck were really close to the Wout group, literally about 10 seconds behind, before dropping off.

66003064.jpg
This is the greatest moment in RaboFail history

This is the greatest moment in RaboFail history

Last year Roglic crashed out when WvA was going for the stage & Jumbo had lost Gesink (DNF, same stage) & Tony Martin was injured (again).

This year he crashed out when Jumbo had called everyone except Laporte back to ride for Jonas.

To add insult to injury, Jumbo flipped the middle finger as they rode on ahead (I don't buy the excuse they didn't see him at the crash site, because they had plenty of time to see him just behind their group in the cars when he was chasing).

Moral of the story? Sh*t team filled with self-indulgent wannabe celebrity sporting directors obsessed with their own grandiose collective goals.

Last year Roglic crashed out when WvA was going for the stage & Jumbo had lost Gesink (DNF, same stage) & Tony Martin was injured (again).

This year he crashed out when Jumbo had called everyone except Laporte back to ride for Jonas.

To add insult to injury, Jumbo flipped the middle finger as they rode on ahead (I don't buy the excuse they didn't see him at the crash site, because they had plenty of time to see him just behind their group in the cars when he was chasing).

Moral of the story? Sh*t team filled with self-indulgent wannabe celebrity sporting directors obsessed with their own grandiose collective goals.
They seemingly think they can have it all after Vingegaard pulled a big result out of nowhere last time. Yellow, Green, two riders on the podium. Pick one as the main focus or end up with nothing. In between teams very rarely work at the Tour, someone always has to lose out. That someone is probably Primoz Roglic, again.

I find it hard to imagine that Jumbo would be willing to have peak Cavendish pace the peloton up cat 1 climbs at snails pace in exchange for the occasional crumb, for example.

Reactions: Rackham
Well, this stage delivered. It was exciting and eventful. Great rides from Pog (no surprise), WvA, Stuyven, Bettiol and Clarke (aaahh). Jumbo were caught between 3 horses, had some bad luck and ballsed it up (it was funny but bad for the race). Then WvA after seemingly being done in, puts in a superhuman performance to drag 30 guys up to Pog and keep Vinnie in the race.
Bettiol was unlucky that he punctured, otherwise he could have dragged Pog to the stage win. Unless there's some other explanation. I think Bettiol needs to get together with MAL and issue a statement.
A great stage and yet some ppl seem unhappy. In life, there are winners and losers. Acceptance is the key to happiness.

Well, this stage delivered. It was exciting and eventful. Great rides from Pog (no surprise), WvA, Stuyven, Bettiol and Clarke (aaahh). Jumbo were caught between 3 horses, had some bad luck and ballsed it up (it was funny but bad for the race). Then WvA after seemingly being done in, puts in a superhuman performance to drag 30 guys up to Pog and keep Vinnie in the race.
Bettiol was unlucky that he punctured, otherwise he could have dragged Pog to the stage win. Unless there's some other explanation. I think Bettiol needs to get together with MAL and issue a statement.
A great stage and yet some ppl seem unhappy. In life, there are winners and losers. Acceptance is the key to happiness.

Good stage but far from the other one finishing in the same place eight years ago. That was legendary.

Re-posted from the Roglic thread.

I think the worst part is not him crashing, but his whole team riding past him. You could see in point he was only like 10 or 15 seconds behind the cars of that chasing group. It's so weird that they just rode away.

Here is a graph with time differences, where you can see he and Hooydonck were really close to the Wout group, literally about 10 seconds behind, before dropping off.

66003064.jpg

This is not correct. You can see Roglic walking over to the side of the road when the group with Vingegaard and Van Aert passes by the place of the crash. Next image we get from Roglic is from the heli when he is on his bike (he's getting sticky bottle which was probably going on for quite a while untill they had to stop because of the images) and at that point the heli showed the gap. There were atleast 15 cars in between (looked to be around 45secs-1 min).

Though I think if the whole team had waited for Roglic and chased together they could have maybe limited the gap to 30 secs for both Vingegaard and Roglic which would have been the better outcome than what ended up being the result yesterday. But not easy decision ofcourse. One of the risks of having multiple leaders.