• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France 2022 - The anticipational thread

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who is going to win a stage? (3 answers possible)

• David Gaudu

Votes: 44 62.9%
  • Florian Vermeersch

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Esteban Chaves

Votes: 14 20.0%
  • Jakob Fuglsang

Votes: 17 24.3%
  • Dylan Groenewegen

Votes: 35 50.0%
  • Connor Swift

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Mattia Cattaneo

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • Peter Sagan

Votes: 20 28.6%
  • Quinn Simmons

Votes: 19 27.1%
  • Carlos Verona

Votes: 5 7.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
After watching every stage of Dauphine and Suisse I was getting very bored with cycling and thought a 12 day break would be a good thing. It only took two days of not watching to get me crazy for Le Tour.

OTOH I dread the KOM competition. It is totally useless. And I hate polka dots. If the tour leader wore polka dots would anybody watch the TdF at all? Just clowns, maybe.

OTOH I dread the KOM competition. It is totally useless. And I hate polka dots. If the tour leader wore polka dots would anybody watch the TdF at all? Just clowns, maybe.
I was thinking about this recently. I think leaders jerseys should be the same colour as highlighter pens - yellow, pink, green, orange etc. I've never seen a polka dot highlighter pen.

Inner Ring promises the bridge will shred the peloton with cross winds
That is definitely not a given. July isn't a very windy month in Denmark. Furthermore, the bridge is directly east-west and the wind is usually in east or west as we'll and rarely in the north or south which is necessary for crosswinds, so most likely we'll get little wind (although it is a bridge so of course it's very exposed and more windy than inlands) and either head- or tailwind.

TBH I'm not particularly excited with the coming Tour. It's usually not very interesting when one team is overpowered and kills the mountain stages (i.e. I didn't enjoy 2020 Tour that much except spectacular finale). Hopefully one day Pogacar attacks hard forcing Roglic to react (or JV plays it offensively this time after 2020 experience) and then we may have an epic duel. I don't have as big expectations as last year, maybe it's better this way.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I snagged a seat in a team sponsor's car (not a team car per se, but part of the caravan) on the July 6 stage from Lille. Not positive it will be as good as watching on TV but I'm definitely stoked...

That sounds like fun, official team car or not. Just being in the caravan is an experience. Might not see much but certainly get the buzz of a tour stage.

I didn't pay much attention to this years route until recently. Starting in Denmark is a nice change. Add in a long windy bridge should be fun. Cobbles, what can you say? Danger and interest. We get the Galibier from both sides. Glad to see the Alpe back in the tour and on Bastille Day to boot! A new mountain top finish and another not used many times. Lots of potential but I guess it depends on the Slovenians form. If they're running away from the bunch it turns stages into position protection mode which is least interesting ones for me. Always look forward to Le Tour though and this year no different. Cheers all...

I've looked at the "rate the TDF" threads for the last 6 years and identified the most voted rating for each. Based on the pattern in the data I'm anticipating a 4 this year. Make the most of it as next year will be a 2.

2016 - 2
2017 - 4
2018 - 5
2019 - 8
2020 - 8
2021 - 5
2022 - ?
I think the 2020 rating was inflated because we were all so glad to get some cycling—any cycling— after the pandemic shutdowns and postponements.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I've looked at the "rate the TDF" threads for the last 6 years and identified the most voted rating for each. Based on the pattern in the data I'm anticipating a 4 this year. Make the most of it as next year will be a 2.

2016 - 2
2017 - 4
2018 - 5
2019 - 8
2020 - 8
2021 - 5
2022 - ?
Can't believe people rated 2019 and 2020 so highly. 2020 was really bad with the exception of the final TT and 2019 had the most anticlimactic final week of a gt I can remember. At least the vote for the 2016 Tour is spot on...maybe a little high.

Reactions: Ilmaestro99
Can't believe people rated 2019 and 2020 so highly. 2020 was really bad with the exception of the final TT and 2019 had the most anticlimactic final week of a gt I can remember. At least the vote for the 2016 Tour is spot on...maybe a little high.
2019 was a really good route and a good gc until stage 18. Really interesting stages in the pyrennees and the anticipated comback of Pinot, Landa, Bernal against Thomas, Alaphilippe and Kruijsvijk. Then the last 2 mountain stages were dire. I would rate it about a 7.

2020 was awful with a dramatic finish. About a 5 or 6 is right

Jun 25, 2022
Visit site
I am in anticipation

View: https://twitter.com/cyclingtips/status/1538953015461388288?s=20&t=ppZfIVguraqUOwHFXHkE4g
Anticipation is the best moment. I love to watch cycle racing and I am glad I found this site. I also found https://studyclerk.com/pay-for-research-paper website where I can pay someone for my research paper to write it for me and now I don't have to waste my time on writing assignments.
Anticipation is the best moment.

Last edited:
Reactions: BR2

2019 was preceded by years of Sky domination, last three of which were probably the most boring and predictable of their wins. Despite it ending anticlimactically with a victory going to the same team, most of the 2019 race had a dynamic that broke the long-standing mold and largely felt like breath of fresh air. Also despite riding for Sky/INEOS, Bernal has always been a well liked rider here, so it was easier for most of us to accept another Sky Tour win.

Reactions: Sandisfan and BR2
2019 was a really good route and a good gc until stage 18. Really interesting stages in the pyrennees and the anticipated comback of Pinot, Landa, Bernal against Thomas, Alaphilippe and Kruijsvijk. Then the last 2 mountain stages were dire. I would rate it about a 7.

2020 was awful with a dramatic finish. About a 5 or 6 is right
This, until stage 18 it looked like the best Tour in many, many years.

Reactions: Ilmaestro99

TRENDING THREADS