• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France 2022 - The anticipational thread

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who is going to win a stage? (3 answers possible)

• David Gaudu

Votes: 44 62.9%
  • Florian Vermeersch

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Esteban Chaves

Votes: 14 20.0%
  • Jakob Fuglsang

Votes: 17 24.3%
  • Dylan Groenewegen

Votes: 35 50.0%
  • Connor Swift

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Mattia Cattaneo

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • Peter Sagan

Votes: 20 28.6%
  • Quinn Simmons

Votes: 19 27.1%
  • Carlos Verona

Votes: 5 7.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
You guys are a tough crowd. When the winner comes on stage 20, the final UPHILL time trial, between two countrymen on the final real racing day for GC that makes it a pretty damn exciting race to me regardless of what happened in the previous 19 stages. Especially when it wasn't really expected. The previous stages were not all that bad. I think Alapeepee won an early stage in the rain and had yellow for a while giving the locals something to cheer about, Bennett and Hirchi provided some excitement, the stage to Grand Columbier was pretty good and the Meribel finish was great with some wicked gradient. I enjoyed the 2020 race.

You guys are a tough crowd. When the winner comes on stage 20, the final UPHILL time trial, between two countrymen on the final real racing day for GC that makes it a pretty damn exciting race to me regardless of what happened in the previous 19 stages. Especially when it wasn't really expected. The previous stages were not all that bad. I think Alapeepee won an early stage in the rain and had yellow for a while giving the locals something to cheer about, Bennett and Hirchi provided some excitement, the stage to Grand Columbier was pretty good and the Meribel finish was great with some wicked gradient. I enjoyed the 2020 race.

I generally agree (though I am biased because Porte podiumed).

Just don't let Libertine Seguros ever read what you said about Grand Columbier.

• Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan
I generally agree (though I am biased because Porte podiumed).

Just don't let Libertine Seguros ever read what you said about Grand Columbier.

He probably mis-spelled it on purpose so that she cannot find the post from a Google search when she wants to scour the internet for someone who said anything positive about that stage (which even I don't see what was good about apart from the break not taking it).

• Wow
Questions in need of an answer:

- will Vingegaard steal the light from Roglic?

Danish media ("Politiken" newspaper) seems to be ready for some drama at least ;)

z81CTHd.png

Nine nameless predictions for the Tour:
  • Only one Slovenian will be on the podium in Paris.
  • Only three riders from last year’s GC top 10 will make it again.
  • The winner of the opening time trial will win another stage.
  • The cobbled stage and the green jersey will be won by someone from the Benelux.
  • The guy who takes the yellow jersey in stage 11 will take it to Paris.
  • A big name will leave the Tour on Friday the 13th.
  • Stage 14 will be won by a rider under 25 who comes from the early break.
  • The KoM and the Super Combativity will be won by a Frenchman.
  • No rider will have a positive covid test during the Tour.

I'll be in Sønderjylland for stage 3.
Not the finish, though. I might write silly stuff on the road.
I'll double down (triple down, actually) since I will be in Copenhagen, Nyborg and Vejle! I watched the Tour in Montpellier in 2009 (TTT) and in Italy in 2011 (Sestriere stage), but watching it in your home country will be something entirely different. I cannot, CANNOT CANNOT CANNOT wait!

Nine nameless predictions for the Tour:
  • Only one Slovenian will be on the podium in Paris.
  • Only three riders from last year’s GC top 10 will make it again.
  • The winner of the opening time trial will win another stage.
  • The cobbled stage and the green jersey will be won by someone from the Benelux.
  • The guy who takes the yellow jersey in stage 11 will take it to Paris.
  • A big name will leave the Tour on Friday the 13th.
  • Stage 14 will be won by a rider under 25 who comes from the early break.
  • The KoM and the Super Combativity will be won by a Frenchman.
  • No rider will have a positive covid test during the Tour.

Fascinating predictions that are unlikely yet reasonable.

It would mean an increase in Roglic's chances imo, as Pogacar on the podium would already be 1 of last year's top 10, and if Roglic isn't on the podium then you'd think it likely Vingegaard would be (2 of your 3 top 10 already).

So something bad to happen to Pogacar, Roglic to be on the podium, but to not necessarily win.

• Wow
I'll double down (triple down, actually) since I will be in Copenhagen, Nyborg and Vejle! I watched the Tour in Montpellier in 2009 (TTT) and in Italy in 2011 (Sestriere stage), but watching it in your home country will be something entirely different. I cannot, CANNOT CANNOT CANNOT wait!
Don’t forget to fly the CN Forum flag . . . But please don’t wave it in front of the oncoming peloton! Hope you have a great time.

Don’t forget to fly the CN Forum flag . . . But please don’t wave it in front of the oncoming peloton! Hope you have a great time.

There's a CN Forum flag? Where do I obtain one of those?

The bad news - for me - is that I'll probably miss seeing the first stage, as that'll be around the time I'm heading south with my family. But I think I have an idea who's ganna win that one...

You sure that was the Tour? Or Sestrière? Or 2011?

Anyway, I'll also attend all stages. Copenhagen, Høve and Sønderborg for me.

Edit: Ah, sorry, I had forgotten that they did the Sestrière mid-stage that year.

• Wow
With Bora not taking Bennett to the Tour there aren't a lot of teams who are fully focused on sprints. Even Lotto picked a lot of riders for the breaks.
Do you think that Quick-Step will have a hard time to get a sprint at every possible sprint stage? They will need some road block I think.

• Wow
There's a CN Forum flag? Where do I obtain one of those?

The bad news - for me - is that I'll probably miss seeing the first stage, as that'll be around the time I'm heading south with my family. But I think I have an idea who's ganna win that one...
As long as you don't forget to give us heads-up on your precise location for the Sunday everything's just fine.

TRENDING THREADS