• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France Tour de France 2024 route rumours and announcements

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
2024 is supposed to be "Remco friendly" so more tt kms less big mountain stages (nothing over 150 km) and plenty of sprint/breakaway days so the GC guys can rest and give up the yellow jersey.
The most interesting thing might well be those 3 first stages in Italy (over 200km a first since 2017). I pity the people in western France who will probably not see a Tour stage there until France comes up with a sprinter worthy of the name.
That would be really sad. Given the start in Italy and the finish in Nice, they actually could have created the best/most exciting Tour route in ages. But I'm pretty sure they will waste that opportunity even if it didn't include a large amount of ITT to satisfy Remco. Short mountain stages and too much focus on big/steep MTFs will probably be the result.

That would be really sad. Given the start in Italy and the finish in Nice, they actually could have created the best/most exciting Tour route in ages. But I'm pretty sure they will waste that opportunity even if it didn't include a large amount of ITT to satisfy Remco. Short mountain stages and too much focus on big/steep MTFs will probably be the result.
Yep, that's always the annoying thing that it should not be difficult to get a really good Tour, but every year it's like Charlie Brown, Lucy and the football.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I think the underlying issue is that this season has been pretty disappointing so far.
I completely disagree. We've had a lot of great races. You say Roubaix is decided by a mechanical, but what does that have to do with the rest of the race? It was still a great race. This season has been amazing so far, except for the Giro. But that was because Remco had to leave early so there was no reason for INEOS and Jumbo to attack since they both just relied on their TT.

Reactions: StryderHells
I completely disagree. We've had a lot of great races. You say Roubaix is decided by a mechanical, but what does that have to do with the rest of the race? It was still a great race. This season has been amazing so far, except for the Giro. But that was because Remco had to leave early so there was no reason for INEOS and Jumbo to attack since they both just relied on their TT.
I totally agree. Sure, the last 15 k or so of Roubaix was a snooze fest but the rest of that race was exciting. I thought the Ronde van Vlaanderen was one of the most exciting monuments I have ever seen. We had a 2x Tour de France champion riding against probably the best monuments rider of this generation. Was the final 5 k or so kind of boring? Sure but come on, we don't watch racing for 6 hours of endless excitement. Then for the nonstop complaining, I thought Stage 20 of the Giro was one of the most exciting time trials I have ever seen. Throw in the fact that it felt like an Olympic Games hosted by Slovenia with the flags, party atmosphere. Great racing. Even Milan-San Remo was exciting, with the opposite result of Flanders. I think it's been one of the best years of racing. I suppose we've become spoiled the last few years with exciting grand tours and GC guys that ride classics and monuments.

If you're a Ving or Ineos fan, the year has been a bore but I am pretty sure you're about to get your moment. Now, I do suspect the 2nd half of the year might be boring with Pog's injury and MVP's divided focus. I think it'll be a Tour of marginal gains, Jumbo edition but I hope I am wrong. However so far, the year has been super exciting from my vantage point.

The Tour de France's inclusion of short Time Trials as the big TT event of the Tour is a joke. This years 22km affair is pathetic and weak from a race as prestigious as the Tour. The Tour de France courses have become a test of who the best climber is. Granted more TTkms probably would not have changed the outcome the last 2 years. The Tour is neglecting properly testing the riders against the clock. The 2017 Tour de France was a serious culprit. What was that 23km final time trial before Paris? I know they were hoping Bardet could beat Froome but Froome was a significantly better climber than Bardet. I don't care if the Tour only includes one TT or two or three. Just make the TT's mean something. Give me a good 55k TT between the Alps and the Pyrenees.

The next year's Tour will end on Côte d'Azur and profiles of last two stages are already known: multi-col stage in Maritime Alps (ending on Couillole) and 35-km hilly TT (not bad for Vinge, right?).

cd75a

5a3a7

The next year's Tour will end on Côte d'Azur and profiles of last two stages are already known: multi-col stage in Maritime Alps (ending on Couillole) and 35-km hilly TT (not bad for Vinge, right?).

cd75a

5a3a7
Not a bad way to end the Tour.

Surely, there will be a 50 km ITT in week 2 right?

Also, do we know more about the first 2-3 stages or just in general anything about the route outside of this?

Alps are the final block again. I guess we'll get a soft Alpine stage first too when we cross the border into France from Italy.
A nice stage could be something like a finish at the fort in Briancon via Pramartino, Sestriere and Montgenevre.

But I'm mostly curious about what they will do in the Alps before the last stages to Nice? I don't like stage 20, it feels more like a PN stage. I hope they will do something big, preferably with Bonette and Cayolle in the same stage.

Reactions: Red Rick
What do we think the chances are of Stage 4 being Pinerolo > Sestriere > Montgenevre > Lautaret > Les Deux Alpes?

It’s ~145km and ~4000m climbing and finishes on a climb that’s hasn’t been used in a while but is most famous for the exploits of Pantani - in other words it looks like the perfect stage for ASO on paper. Or is that too many mountain passes for stage 4

• Wow

TRENDING THREADS