• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France Tour de France 2024, Stage 1: Florence (Firenze) - Rimini, 206.0k

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Most overhyped stage in the history of cycling?
I‘m ready to be disappointed.
It will depend of Pogacar and his team. Pogacar has to make the difference the first days. So, during the first tough stage and/or the Galibierstage on stage 4.

I am convinced that if UAE maintains a hellish pace from the first climb until deep into the final, most riders will have to drop out. Also most of the (better) teammates of the topteams and some leaders of the smaller teams. Because it's the first day of racing, on a demanding course, in the heat, we could even see topriders get dropped. The plan would be that Pogacar would finish it on the final climb. With only a few topriders and one or two domestiques left, there would hardly be a chase during the last flat km.
BUT, to achieve that, not only the minor teammates of Pogacar will have to ride a team TT, but also Ayuso, Adam Yates, Almeida.... I'm not sure Pogacar wants to take risks, destroying also his best teammates. Also because the three mentioned have to be able to compete for the podium, if something happens with Pogacar (crash, fade away....) later during the Tour.

Reactions: Nick2413
I think this is a great opener. Always lovely to see riding on Italian undulating road with a finish on the beautiful Adriatic coast. It would have been nice with the course taking the detour over Carpegna and Cippo would clearly have disposed of much (all) of the sprinters but I guess those roads were deemed either too tough or too narrow to be included.

I think he did. I mean, one day in such heat shouldn't be a problem (it may temper him a bit) but prolonged heat waves could have a negative effect. It will be better after the weekend and Galibier stage will be much cooler and maybe with rain.
The main thing with the heat is it adds an extra variable. Hopefully the 3rd week will be hot and can spice things up. I also think it’s reasonable to say heat isn’t Pogacar’s ideal environment relative to certain other riders.

Reactions: velaso montador
Section between 120 km and 180 km is very intense. 22 km uphill, 1500 m of elevation gain. UAE will set a strong pace there but how strong? Reducing the group will be the goal IMO, not Pog's attack (as the last climb is not good to attack and the distance to the finish is long) but if one of the contenders shows some weakness then they have the horse power to TTT to the line and put more time into the weak rival. Finish from some small/medium sized group: maybe Pogi and Van Aert will be favourites.
With Wellens, Soler and Sivakov, UAE can keep a very high pace from Barbotto. I think they will drill it until Montemaggio and then attack first with Ayuso and Yates. Pogi can then counter or bridge up to them, depending on how others react.

With Wellens, Soler and Sivakov, UAE can keep a very high pace from Barbotto. I think they will drill it until Montemaggio and then attack first with Ayuso and Yates. Pogi can then counter or bridge up to them, depending on how others react.

Yup, UAE has more cards to play, especially early on so Yates' attack (like last year but on the climb this time) or another super-dom's move is plausible. The distance to the finish will make it hard for them though (Pog will wait in reserve for sprint).

Last edited:
Yup, UAE has more cards to play, especially early on so Yates' attack (like last year but on the climb this time) or another super-dom's move is plausible. The distance to the finish will make it hard for them though.
Sure, but I don't think they will hang out to dry on their own. Others will react instantly, I'm sure. But if they don't and Yates gets a gap of ~10", Pogi can bridge up to him and have Yates bury himself. I think they have to attack and see how others respond before the last climb. Just pacing steadily won't catch anyone out.

Reactions: Krzysztof_O