• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France Femmes 2024 (August 12th-18th)

Page 35 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Tbf to Wiebes, she is probably the greatest pure sprinter of all time and she's only 25. She's also the first woman to ever win a stage of the Tour. That's what she should be known for. But unfortunately for her, she will be remembered in most peoples eyes for losing the tdf for a different rider which is hilarious. Tbh going to SD Worx was a bad move for her, she should be at a team where she can just rack up her sprint wins, be the sole team leader and not worry about anything else. Is all this finishing 2nd/3rd behind teammates in big classics really better for her?

Career defining for the lack of support and apparent willingness to sabotage a potential internal threat. Anyone thats raced on a seriously competitive team knows that guy. It happened to me several times and the forces that managed each team's policy invited that guy to go elsewhere. I didn't need to say a word and the reception those individuals received from other competitors made those incidents much more bearable.

Those sort of acts tend to be part of an eternal reputation that you can't hide from, wouldn't you think?
Of course. I think Lorena has behaved like this since back to the Parkhotel days. The way she screwed that team over to jump to DSM after having already signed a contract, and then screwed THEM over to jump to SD Worx after having already signed a contract, and insisted on a clause in the contract enabling her to break it for more money. The way she causes a lot of crashes by recklessly divebombing corners or bullying her way into position. The way she took care to block as much of the Koppenberg as possible when forced to dismount.

If she wasn't as talented as she is, she'd probably be one of those guys or girls you mention, but she's fortunate that she's as good as she is that means that her cut-throad follow-the-money approach works because there's always going to be somebody who offers her the money for the wins she will get. However, doing it on this big a scale and it winding up as important as it has done, and being so unapologetic and coming across like the least sympathetic character in the sport since Peter van den Driessche, will likely have some consequences. This particular incident will likely result in some lasting reputational damage, and it's both deserved and not before time.

Reactions: Oldermanish
Can you imagine what would have happened had Kasia decided to stop before the Alpe line, put a foot down and wait until she knew the seconds had elapsed for Demi's GC advantage, rolled up to Vollering and shook her hand? Total Hollywood fantasy and she'd be remembered as the greatest sportsperson of all time.
Fortunately, Kasia's not that stupid.

2023 Tour De Suisse
2023 Vuelta
2023 Strade Bianche
2024 Tour de France Femmes
The betrayals (backstabbing) of fellow SD Worx riders (and their DS) towards Demi continue. Shocking behavior.

yep I didnt want to say, I was right, as it draws me no pleasure :( but I knew those lost seconds would be so vital to the final outcome.

oh well at least she wont have to ride for them anymore, as I think that will be her last race for them.

Reactions: lightclimber
Of course. I think Lorena has behaved like this since back to the Parkhotel days. The way she screwed that team over to jump to DSM after having already signed a contract, and then screwed THEM over to jump to SD Worx after having already signed a contract, and insisted on a clause in the contract enabling her to break it for more money. The way she causes a lot of crashes by recklessly divebombing corners or bullying her way into position. The way she took care to block as much of the Koppenberg as possible when forced to dismount.

If she wasn't as talented as she is, she'd probably be one of those guys or girls you mention, but she's fortunate that she's as good as she is that means that her cut-throad follow-the-money approach works because there's always going to be somebody who offers her the money for the wins she will get. However, doing it on this big a scale and it winding up as important as it has done, and being so unapologetic and coming across like the least sympathetic character in the sport since Peter van den Driessche, will likely have some consequences. This particular incident will likely result in some lasting reputational damage, and it's both deserved and not before time.

but as you say teams will pay the money if she can still win stages, so what do they or her care if she is a wrecking ball at the same time.

I mean obviously she was a fairly big part of the disfunctionality of SD Worx in this race, but shes not the whole story behind how theyve managed to turn into Team doesnt worx.

Reactions: joe_papp
I am actually happy that Niewiadoma won and that Vollering won the stage. I was cheering for Vollering, but she tried her best. She had two options to attack and unfortunately failed at the selected one. There was no warranty that She would succeed waiting at Alpe d'Huez. Additionally, she was unlucky to have partnered with the worst possible rider. I’m not criticizing Rooijakkers because she played her game very well. I’m just saying that Vollering was unlucky it had to be her.

That said, what SD Worx did was disgusting, stupid, and inexcusable. The stages in women’s races are not so valuable that you could trade one for a Tour win. It’s just very, very stupid. No excuses, as Horner said. No radios? LOL. Look around—Vollering wasn’t there, and Niewiadoma and her team were pushing to the maximum. Maybe if you were blind, you might not have noticed.

Tbf to Wiebes, she is probably the greatest pure sprinter of all time and she's only 25. She's also the first woman to ever win a stage of the Tour. That's what she should be known for. But unfortunately for her, she will be remembered in most peoples eyes for losing the tdf for a different rider which is hilarious. Tbh going to SD Worx was a bad move for her, she should be at a team where she can just rack up her sprint wins, be the sole team leader and not worry about anything else. Is all this finishing 2nd/3rd behind teammates in big classics really better for her?
Really, I didn't know that. And yes, she will be remembered for that stupid move. Just because it is beyond stupid.

Fortunately, Kasia's not that stupid.
And the moment passed for what would add a comparable level of credibility with the Tour's history, as well as other GTs. The fact that Demi seems to be at odds with her team is where it starts and it's understandable no other team would demonstrate mutual rider respect if SD Worx(dont worx) didn't. Teammates and other competitors making bullsh*t excuses after the fact about radios, not seeing things....betrays the fact that there is little sense of mutual need to honor each other, yet.

GT guys train for months to be domestiques, sprinters, major contenders and understand when a major crash takes down co-racers; it might be a good idea to set a detente'. What goes around comes around and they all hope to get that courtesy and not lose a season's preparation for a random crash that's not their fault. Catching a draft off of multiple team cars to regain a field is one of those examples but 6km from a finish doesn't give any time.

Last edited:
Reactions: awavey and jmdirt
TOUR DE FRANCE FEMMES AVEC ZWIFT Prize Money

CANYON//SRAM RACING 58 980,00€
TEAM SD WORX - PROTIME 52 600,00€
FENIX-DECEUNINCK 24 670,00€
LIDL - TREK 19 750,00€
FDJ-SUEZ 16 730,00€
AG INSURANCE - SOUDAL TEAM 13 720,00€
TEAM DSM-FIRMENICH POSTNL 11 390,00€
CERATIZIT - WNT PRO CYCLING TEAM 11 160,00€
MOVISTAR TEAM 8 060,00€
TEAM VISMA | LEASE A BIKE 8 000,00€
ARKEA - B&B HOTELS WOMEN 4 940,00€
LOTTO DSTNY LADIES 3 190,00€
UNO-X MOBILITY 2 990,00€
EF - OATLY - CANNONDALE 2 820,00€
UAE TEAM ADQ 2 690,00€
ST MICHEL - MAVIC - AUBER93 2 210,00€
LABORAL KUTXA - FUNDACION EUSKADI 1 140,00€L
IV-ALULA-JAYCO 810,00€
HUMAN POWERED HEALTH 400,00€
ROLAND 330,00€
COFIDIS WOMEN TEAM 280,00€
TASHKENT CITY WOMEN PROFESSIONAL CYCLING TEAM 0,00€
TOTAL : 246 860,00€

For comparison with the men, UAE took home 806,810 Euros as the best team & Red Bull the worst took home 16,710Euros. Total prize money for the men: 2,282,000 Euros.

I do feel like all the talk about Demi's team letting her down, while true, sorta unjustly makes it seem like Kasia backed into the win. Sure, she had an advantage going into the day, but Kasia was a minute behind at the top of the Glandon with 50km to go and lost the virtual lead a few k's later on the descent. All that advantage she had was gone with a huge amount of racing left. She couldn't ride to limit losses anymore because she'd already reached that limit, at that point she had to step up and ride to win the race, and she did.

Yep.

Kasia's most important domestiques in the race, in order:

1) Lorena Wiebes
2) Danny Stam
3) Anna van der Breggen
4) Lucinda Brand
5) Évita Muzic

Not to be critical of the Canyon team, they did everything they could for her, but when Neve Bradbury was dropped before the big move on Glandon I thought there was no chance Kasia could defend from there, but she got some crucial allies in the forms of those others, without whom she wouldn't have been able to hold on.

And she wouldn't have been in the position to hold on if it weren't for the first three.

Don't forget Chloe Dygert, loaded like a freight train, pulling like an aeroplane momentarily after the crash! At least she was paid to do so.

Reactions: Alpe d'Huez
Podium

GVSNrUHWYAEV5TJ

GVSNXGHXoAA701a

First podium ceremony I've watched since ages. I felt great for Princess Demi not winning a jersey and thus she didn't have to endure more humiliation.

which is Demi's spirit to be generous to a fault, with her "teammates" and even blame herself for this, there is no question across the whole race that if SD Worx all rode as a team supporting Demi, and that means protecting her in the bunch, making sure she doesnt crash or you take her out, remember it was her own teammate who took her down in that flippin crash, shielding her, actually riding to make a difference. Apparently Brand was interviewed on Dutch TV post stage today and said she didnt know what the 4 SDWorx riders who went up the road were upto as they didnt ride hard enough to do anything.
Yes, her team could and should have done a better job but none of that would have even mattered if showed any sense of urgency at all, which she certainly recognized.

Reactions: Alpe d'Huez
One thing I would be wary of, is that the insane level of epicness that we got yesterday will probably encourage ASO to give us more "seven stages of jockeying for position before one big mountain stage that answers all the questions" designs, not realising that SD Worx' dysfunctionality gave them lightning in a bottle here, in the same way as the epic final week of the 2010 Giro was necessitated by the L'Aquila stage and you can't bank on a 50-man break including past and future GT winners gaining 13 minutes mid-race every year. However, one thing that we do now have which we didn't previously was a signature stage, an epic showdown, something that legitimises the legacy of the Tour de France Femmes; a battle that feels like part of the history of cycling that can be talked about in years to come, the closest Tour finish, the all-timer defence of the jersey. Something that belongs in the history and adds to the iconography of Alpe d'Huez; Vollering on the tarmac broken, Kasia not knowing if she's won and breaking down, holding her bike above her head, her husband running up the mountain in the last 2km alongside her... it's the most relevant Alpe d'Huez has been since 2008, and arguably the best mountain stage since Stelvio 2020.

And its fallout could be long as well. Have SD Worx just "Contadored" Vollering? I think it's very possible. I know that my readings of the SD Worx situation have largely been sympathetic to Vollering over the last two years, possibly too much, and I've taken some flak for it, but I've read Wiebes and Kopecky as the most selfish riders there, and that Vollering has only really had issues with the team where her and Kopecky's aims and actions have intertwined, such as Kopecky's antics at last year's Tour and Strade Bianche. However, many had fired back that Demi was similarly selfish and unlikable, but you'd expect a fair bit of "you reap what you sow" kind of response to this if that were the case, and you certainly wouldn't have expected her to handle the defeat with the kind of dignity that she has done. A lot of people who have been either indifferent to or even disliked Vollering have viewed her in a sympathetic light as a result of this race and her treatment by the team, and the fact that the response to the team's posts about it have been so universal seems like it's created a groundswell of support for her in the same way as Contador probably never grows to become as popular as he was if it weren't for the Hog's core's deliberate marginalisation and ostracisation of him in the 2009 Tour.

One thing that this does raise as a noteworthy question is the role of Anna van der Breggen in all of this. While SD Worx' top-heaviness has resulted in a lot of conflicts of goals over the years, the disunity has really accelerated in recent years. Anna and Demi worked very well together back in 2021, with a kind of retiring master-understudy relationship. But I don't think it's earth-shattering news to say that a lot of people have viewed Anna's time in the team car as having been disastrous; I don't know if it's that she is unwilling to check any egos and offend anybody, or that tactics on the fly and the strength to respond to moves came so easily and naturally for her that she doesn't offer enough guidance, or what, but the team's tactics have been questionable at best lately. The fact Vollering has been the one to get shafted by most of the worst decisions could be coincidental, but with the coterminous announcement of van der Breggen's return to the bike, it lends it a sinister overtone; with Wiebes reinventing herself for durability and Kopecky's realm extending ever further into the mountains with her win at the UAE Tour and her performance at Blockhaus, the area of the calendar where the team would be solely behind Vollering has already been cut down significantly, but adding van der Breggen to the mix would erode this entirely. Anna VDB has been with the team since 2017 and her coming across from Rabobank was almost a watershed moment that earmarked the end of the transition period through 2015 and 2016 from Rabobank being the dominant force in the sport to Boels-Dolmans/SD Worx taking up that mantle. With the end of Guarnier's peak years, the retirement of Evelyn Stevens, and then a year later Lizzie Deignan taking her first year out for motherhood, it swiftly became van der Breggen's team... it seems inconceivable that she would be coming back if she didn't think she could win things, but it seems like in order for the team to be working for her when she's been off the bike for three years, she needs to not be a secondary option, and in the races where her skillset would allow for her goals not to be subsumed to those of Kopecky or Wiebes, there is a big Demi Vollering-shaped obstacle. Kopecky is under contract for a few years yet. Wiebes - assuming she's on a deal big enough that nobody offers her more money entitling her to walk as per contract stipulations - is under contract for a while too. Vollering's contract was due, and conspiratorially, you could read the actions of the team car in the last 12 months or so as giving her a helping hand out the door.

I mean, Nike care enough about Vollering to decorate the side of a Paris building for her at the Olympics. Specialized care enough about Vollering to want to go with her when she moves team. SD Worx care enough about Vollering to let their riders go to the press and announce that they saw "something yellow on the floor" and that their team leader - in yellow - was no longer with them, but was either so monumentally stupid that she couldn't connect the dots, or so monumentally selfish that she thought coming 8th in a stage - a stage! - was more important to the team than winning the GC of the Tour de France.

Think about that. It was more important not to hurt Lorena's pride by telling her she couldn't sprint for 8th place than to expend a domestique to help limit the losses of the strongest stage racer in women's cycling because they're so used to being totally overpowered that they figured, hey, they can take it. But that's not on Anna van der Breggen. That's on Danny Stam. He's managed this s**t-show for several years and he has a key role here too: this is the man that said that he and his team don't view Niewiadoma as a threat because she'll always overwork herself and burn herself out. And I mean, he's not necessarily wrong, as somebody who's followed Kasia's career for a decade, she does do that, but it's an assumption that could - and did - come back and bite them, because they figured they could afford to abandon Demi to her fate in pursuit of that illustrious 8th place in the sprint behind the front group, because they can just take that time back whenever they want. Again, the team are used to being overpowered and think that they can just brute force their way out of any problem, so they don't need to work as a team. And all too often in recent years other teams have helped them out time and time again, enabling them to continue to hold this attitude. The ascent of Alpe d'Huez was like Danny Stam being hit in the face with a sledgehammer of hubris for his arrogance and disrespectfulness. And by and large, public opinion appears to agree - sympathising with Vollering as the victim of the team's arrogance and dysfunction, and largely laughing in the faces of those responsible.

2023 Tour De Suisse
2023 Vuelta
2023 Strade Bianche
2024 Tour de France Femmes
The betrayals (backstabbing) of fellow SD Worx riders (and their DS) towards Demi continue. Shocking behavior.
which is Demi's spirit to be generous to a fault, with her "teammates" and even blame herself for this, there is no question across the whole race that if SD Worx all rode as a team supporting Demi, and that means protecting her in the bunch, making sure she doesnt crash or you take her out, remember it was her own teammate who took her down in that flippin crash, shielding her, actually riding to make a difference. Apparently Brand was interviewed on Dutch TV post stage today and said she didnt know what the 4 SDWorx riders who went up the road were upto as they didnt ride hard enough to do anything.

you get those 4 seconds, and more.

but the biggest hit was the time gap that crash gave her, partly because I think we will learn she has fractured bones which limited her ability to ride today especially, but also the teams response to minimise it.

Im still waiting to see if any of her team mates post on socials about how gutted they are they didnt win the race as a team, and offer somekind of emotional support to Demi, I think Ill be waiting a long time.

I cheered for Niewiadoma yesterday, but would cheer for Vollering next year to get her revenge. But in the light of the above, I can't help wondering whether this was blind selfishness of teammates and lack of team work/communication/organisation on the part of SD Worx, or whether Vollering has somehow, at some stage, seriously alienated herself from the rest of the team. Has she made herself "that guy" at some point?
Anyone thats raced on a seriously competitive team knows that guy. It happened to me several times and the forces that managed each team's policy invited that guy to go elsewhere. I didn't need to say a word and the reception those individuals received from other competitors made those incidents much more bearable.

Those sort of acts tend to be part of an eternal reputation that you can't hide from, wouldn't you think?

No evidence, so no accusation, just wondering aloud.

• Haha
Reactions: Oldermanish
One thing I would be wary of, is that the insane level of epicness that we got yesterday will probably encourage ASO to give us more "seven stages of jockeying for position before one big mountain stage that answers all the questions" designs, not realising that SD Worx' dysfunctionality gave them lightning in a bottle here, in the same way as the epic final week of the 2010 Giro was necessitated by the L'Aquila stage and you can't bank on a 50-man break including past and future GT winners gaining 13 minutes mid-race every year. However, one thing that we do now have which we didn't previously was a signature stage, an epic showdown, something that legitimises the legacy of the Tour de France Femmes; a battle that feels like part of the history of cycling that can be talked about in years to come, the closest Tour finish, the all-timer defence of the jersey. Something that belongs in the history and adds to the iconography of Alpe d'Huez; Vollering on the tarmac broken, Kasia not knowing if she's won and breaking down, holding her bike above her head, her husband running up the mountain in the last 2km alongside her... it's the most relevant Alpe d'Huez has been since 2008, and arguably the best mountain stage since Stelvio 2020.

And its fallout could be long as well. Have SD Worx just "Contadored" Vollering? I think it's very possible. I know that my readings of the SD Worx situation have largely been sympathetic to Vollering over the last two years, possibly too much, and I've taken some flak for it, but I've read Wiebes and Kopecky as the most selfish riders there, and that Vollering has only really had issues with the team where her and Kopecky's aims and actions have intertwined, such as Kopecky's antics at last year's Tour and Strade Bianche. However, many had fired back that Demi was similarly selfish and unlikable, but you'd expect a fair bit of "you reap what you sow" kind of response to this if that were the case, and you certainly wouldn't have expected her to handle the defeat with the kind of dignity that she has done. A lot of people who have been either indifferent to or even disliked Vollering have viewed her in a sympathetic light as a result of this race and her treatment by the team, and the fact that the response to the team's posts about it have been so universal seems like it's created a groundswell of support for her in the same way as Contador probably never grows to become as popular as he was if it weren't for the Hog's core's deliberate marginalisation and ostracisation of him in the 2009 Tour.

One thing that this does raise as a noteworthy question is the role of Anna van der Breggen in all of this. While SD Worx' top-heaviness has resulted in a lot of conflicts of goals over the years, the disunity has really accelerated in recent years. Anna and Demi worked very well together back in 2021, with a kind of retiring master-understudy relationship. But I don't think it's earth-shattering news to say that a lot of people have viewed Anna's time in the team car as having been disastrous; I don't know if it's that she is unwilling to check any egos and offend anybody, or that tactics on the fly and the strength to respond to moves came so easily and naturally for her that she doesn't offer enough guidance, or what, but the team's tactics have been questionable at best lately. The fact Vollering has been the one to get shafted by most of the worst decisions could be coincidental, but with the coterminous announcement of van der Breggen's return to the bike, it lends it a sinister overtone; with Wiebes reinventing herself for durability and Kopecky's realm extending ever further into the mountains with her win at the UAE Tour and her performance at Blockhaus, the area of the calendar where the team would be solely behind Vollering has already been cut down significantly, but adding van der Breggen to the mix would erode this entirely. Anna VDB has been with the team since 2017 and her coming across from Rabobank was almost a watershed moment that earmarked the end of the transition period through 2015 and 2016 from Rabobank being the dominant force in the sport to Boels-Dolmans/SD Worx taking up that mantle. With the end of Guarnier's peak years, the retirement of Evelyn Stevens, and then a year later Lizzie Deignan taking her first year out for motherhood, it swiftly became van der Breggen's team... it seems inconceivable that she would be coming back if she didn't think she could win things, but it seems like in order for the team to be working for her when she's been off the bike for three years, she needs to not be a secondary option, and in the races where her skillset would allow for her goals not to be subsumed to those of Kopecky or Wiebes, there is a big Demi Vollering-shaped obstacle. Kopecky is under contract for a few years yet. Wiebes - assuming she's on a deal big enough that nobody offers her more money entitling her to walk as per contract stipulations - is under contract for a while too. Vollering's contract was due, and conspiratorially, you could read the actions of the team car in the last 12 months or so as giving her a helping hand out the door.

I mean, Nike care enough about Vollering to decorate the side of a Paris building for her at the Olympics. Specialized care enough about Vollering to want to go with her when she moves team. SD Worx care enough about Vollering to let their riders go to the press and announce that they saw "something yellow on the floor" and that their team leader - in yellow - was no longer with them, but was either so monumentally stupid that she couldn't connect the dots, or so monumentally selfish that she thought coming 8th in a stage - a stage! - was more important to the team than winning the GC of the Tour de France.

Think about that. It was more important not to hurt Lorena's pride by telling her she couldn't sprint for 8th place than to expend a domestique to help limit the losses of the strongest stage racer in women's cycling because they're so used to being totally overpowered that they figured, hey, they can take it. But that's not on Anna van der Breggen. That's on Danny Stam. He's managed this s**t-show for several years and he has a key role here too: this is the man that said that he and his team don't view Niewiadoma as a threat because she'll always overwork herself and burn herself out. And I mean, he's not necessarily wrong, as somebody who's followed Kasia's career for a decade, she does do that, but it's an assumption that could - and did - come back and bite them, because they figured they could afford to abandon Demi to her fate in pursuit of that illustrious 8th place in the sprint behind the front group, because they can just take that time back whenever they want. Again, the team are used to being overpowered and think that they can just brute force their way out of any problem, so they don't need to work as a team. And all too often in recent years other teams have helped them out time and time again, enabling them to continue to hold this attitude. The ascent of Alpe d'Huez was like Danny Stam being hit in the face with a sledgehammer of hubris for his arrogance and disrespectfulness. And by and large, public opinion appears to agree - sympathising with Vollering as the victim of the team's arrogance and dysfunction, and largely laughing in the faces of those responsible.
Very well put - I just disagree with one thing. This stage was much better than Stelvio 2020

Reactions: xo 1