• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France Femmes 2024 (August 12th-18th)

Page 34 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Agreed. As bad as some of the stuff SD Worx did was, If she shows any urgency whatsoever after t hat crash, she wins the Tour. Puck went down too and is up and running in no time. Sure, Demi was more hurt than Puck but she wasted a TON of time. All I could think about as I was watching was "what the f is she doing?"

and in the same crash Pfeiffer fractures bones in her neck and hand, I wouldnt be remotely surprised if we hear Demi actually fractured some bones too, but they kept it quiet because she could ride through the pain and the prize was too big to give up. her hug with Niamh at todays finish she winces alot at the end, thats more than road rash.

and if Wiebes stops and then goes all in to lead Demi back to the pack, she easily makes up 5 secs and more. Thats where the race is lost, not the reaction to the crash.

oh and btw the footage shows Team SD Worx didnt even give her a push just watch the footage from Lanterne Rouge
View: https://youtu.be/IIKnBxSYmfA?feature=shared&t=253

Reactions: Oldermanish
Consequences for Wiebes and SD in charge for sure but you can't expect competitors to somehwo wait and lose time tehmselves in a hectic final.
But Wiebes and SD should simply be asked a straightforwad question by journalists - "Was an 8th place in that sprint finish worth losing the Tour?" If they say yes, or de give some *** answer - Vollering should leave. If they say no - they should face consequences.

But Wiebes and SD should simply be asked a straightforwad question by journalists - "Was an 8th place in that sprint finish worth losing the Tour?" If they say yes, or de give some *** answer - Vollering should leave. If they say no - they should face consequences.
For Lorena Wiebes, the only thing that she probably regrets is if the prize money for coming 8th on a stage is less than the difference between her share of the kitty money from the team's GC positions if Demi comes 1st or 2nd.

so Team SD Worx go for the "Demi Vollering falls just short of Tour victory despite win on Alpe d'Huez" line...

unbelievable, at least Demis comments tell where she thinks she lost the race

Podium

GVSNXGHXoAA701a

Puck stole a red boll from Ghekiere.

What a dramatic stage! Vollering might have won if she had waited until the foot of l'Alpe d'Huez, but we'll never know. Niewiadoma used the valley to recover a little and showed a lot of fighting spirit on the final climb. The commentators wrote her off when she was 1'10" behind. After all the places of honor in the past this is the year when her dreams come true.

LeMond is no longer the Tour winner with the smallest gap. Zenon Jaskula is no longer the most successful Polish rider in the Tour.

I just watched on catch up with no gen on the outcome….

Firstly what a race. Tremendous finish, totally vindicates the decision to have a properly hard parcours.

Demi, you were shafted by your team days ago. You deserved better. Especially from Wiebes.

Paulina, great ride, this parcours brought out the best in her. Thought she might win halfway up the climb but great effort.

Kasia, I thought you’d blown it at the bottom of the Alpe but great defensive ride. Chapeau.

Reactions: awavey
Also, was Vollering right to attack so early? She lost a lot of time on the Valley road between the climbs, had she attacked early on Alpe d'Huez could she have got enough time?
I think so, because you have to take the iniative on a stage like this in the position she was in, and let the rest come at you, and they easily lost more than 4 secs playing around on the final climb or not pacing smoothly because Rooijakkers wasnt working together with Demi in a way that helped Demi at that stage.

And another thing. Listening to the Discovery commentary as they were descending from the Glandon, as one of the Dani’s kept saying ‘they’ll work together and Rooijakkers can win the stage’ and I was literally screaming at the TV…..

If she wins the stage she wins the GC you utter dimwit!
Yeah Rooijakkers was for sure right to sit on her wheel as that was her best chance of winning. Vollering should have just totally ignored her until if and when she was safely ahead of Niewiadoma

and if Wiebes stops and then goes all in to lead Demi back to the pack, she easily makes up 5 secs and more. Thats where the race is lost, not the reaction to the crash.
Sure about Wiebes but it was 4 seconds so there are several places the race could have been lost and not getting on the bike quicker was one that was actually under her control rather than someone else's. She even mentioned it herself.

“If I would jump on the bike a little bit earlier [after crashing]. If I would win in Liège from Puck [Pieterse]. If yesterday I attacked a bit earlier. There are so many ifs but you don’t buy anything from ifs so I can think very long about that but it only makes me sad,”

Reactions: Kaptain Kool
I have started paying more and more attention to women's cycling. Little by little I have been, I've been drawn in. I don't know many of the cyclists. Have Van der Breggen and Van Vleuten retired? Where was Kopecki and the Italian, I think her name is Bohrgini ? Holland has so many top riders, they must have a very good training program. I feel sorry for Vollering but I'm happy Kasia won; she has such a great demeanor and a glorious smile. Watching this stage brought me back to the days when male cyclists were more human and would suffer more for a stage win. I know that sounds a little silly but I can't quite describe it. Those girls put in a fantastic effort. I was glued to the tv and could not even switch over to La Vuelta. Now I don't have to watch Pogascar if I have a choice.

Reactions: joe_papp
Wait. what was she supposed to do?

Consequences for Wiebes and SD in charge for sure but you can't expect competitors to somehwo wait and lose time tehmselves in a hectic final.
Seems to happen regularly in the Men's TdF and other GTs. A principal rider of any responsible team just slows down. A few opportunists may try to take advantage but the pack backlash for the rest of the race would equalize it.

Can you imagine what would have happened had Kasia decided to stop before the Alpe line, put a foot down and wait until she knew the seconds had elapsed for Demi's GC advantage, rolled up to Vollering and shook her hand? Total Hollywood fantasy and she'd be remembered as the greatest sportsperson of all time.

Last edited:
And this race could be decided by 15 or 20 seconds in the end.
Last year in the Vuelta Vollering lost 1min4sec in the crosswinds, partly due to her team's incompetence and failing to form a proper chase behind. She then lost the race overall by 9 seconds. They could have easily found those seconds had her team worked hard to limit her losses. I suspect they will have similar regrets again this year

No-one from SD Worx heard the crash!

The biggest betrayal of Vollering occurred at the 2023 Tour De Suisse. Comfortably ahead in GC, they finish the final climb and Vollering is ensconced in the small GC group with a mainly descent last 20kms. Reusser comes back on the descent and instead of pacing the group to protect Vollering's GC, but no, she attacks the group, so the GC group sit up because they have nothing to gain, and Reusser ends up winning the GC>
2023 Tour De Suisse
2023 Vuelta
2023 Strade Bianche
2024 Tour de France Femmes
The betrayals (backstabbing) of fellow SD Worx riders (and their DS) towards Demi continue. Shocking behavior.

To be fair though, they need to just be more consistent and better protected. Pauliena Rooijakkers hangs off the back of the péloton and can't descend, and she just finished 4th in the Giro d'Italia and 3rd in the Tour de France.

Career defining for Vollering? Or career defining for Wiebes? I think her celebrating too soon and losing Amstel Gold after SD Worx somehow got Vollering and Kopecky to both slave their guts out for her ungrateful hide in a race that better suited them was her defining moment. That Gunnewijk had Vollering working for Wiebes in Paris only for this fiasco to unfold a couple of weeks later is just putting the boot in.

For added insult to injury, she didn't even win the maillot vert to even give a modicum of justification for her actions.
Career defining for the lack of support and apparent willingness to sabotage a potential internal threat. Anyone thats raced on a seriously competitive team knows that guy. It happened to me several times and the forces that managed each team's policy invited that guy to go elsewhere. I didn't need to say a word and the reception those individuals received from other competitors made those incidents much more bearable.

Those sort of acts tend to be part of an eternal reputation that you can't hide from, wouldn't you think?

Reactions: joe_papp
Sure about Wiebes but it was 4 seconds so there are several places the race could have been lost and not getting on the bike quicker was one that was actually under her control rather than someone else's. She even mentioned it herself.

“If I would jump on the bike a little bit earlier [after crashing]. If I would win in Liège from Puck [Pieterse]. If yesterday I attacked a bit earlier. There are so many ifs but you don’t buy anything from ifs so I can think very long about that but it only makes me sad,”

which is Demi's spirit to be generous to a fault, with her "teammates" and even blame herself for this, there is no question across the whole race that if SD Worx all rode as a team supporting Demi, and that means protecting her in the bunch, making sure she doesnt crash or you take her out, remember it was her own teammate who took her down in that flippin crash, shielding her, actually riding to make a difference. Apparently Brand was interviewed on Dutch TV post stage today and said she didnt know what the 4 SDWorx riders who went up the road were upto as they didnt ride hard enough to do anything.

you get those 4 seconds, and more.

but the biggest hit was the time gap that crash gave her, partly because I think we will learn she has fractured bones which limited her ability to ride today especially, but also the teams response to minimise it.

Im still waiting to see if any of her team mates post on socials about how gutted they are they didnt win the race as a team, and offer somekind of emotional support to Demi, I think Ill be waiting a long time.

Reactions: JosefK