• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

tour de france rest day 2 round up

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
And so far, my favorite images of Le Tour '11.

Thor wins the hard way

pic211097711_600.jpg

Sammy wins to The Hitch's disappointment?? :p

pic210798419_600.jpg

Contador juuust misses out to the old guy, Cadel is like "Not So Fast, Young Spaniard"

pic207805947_600.jpg

Other High Notes:

- Johnny Hoogerland deserves tons of respect for his riding
- Jeremy Roy has been a breakaway machine, respect to him
- Andy Schleck getting his UBER-IMPORTANT 2 SECONDS
- Gilbert attacking a lot
- Cav's win to Cap Frehel. No leadout, comes from 10th to win
- Farrar finally getting his win, Wouter tribute on Stage 3
- Garmin-Cervelo on podium after Stage 2 win
- Thor keeping yellow on Super Besse and Mur de Bretagne
- Rui Costa win was very nice as well

I don't know about the rest of ya'll, but I have thoroughly enjoyed this Tour so far, other than the crashes.

Here's to a great and explosive last week (and an Andy win of course!!)

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Anyone know of any stats or data of riders and their kilometers spent in a breakaway? Roy must have clocked up heaps. I know Sherwen occasionally spouts some numbers but is this out of his **** or actually handed to him from a statistician?

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
What more can Samu do?

What if instead of attacking on every mountain stage he stays in the pack.

Will that enthuse you?
TBH the fewer people that register Sanchez attacking and gaining time, the better for him. Related to the national alliances thread: if Contador's health puts him out of contention, Samu might benefit from a nudge and a wink here and there.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
I think Alpe d'Huez might be more of a worry for cuddles imo.

collectively this makes it much harder tho. If it just the d'Huez cuddles looks even better. Tho I do think it will be the biggest test for him.

still depends what we get on stage 18 on a whole.
finishing on the Col de l'Izoard would not be so bad (hard climb) :) But you'd assume weather wouldn't be great there either.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Jamsque said:
No, you are going to be banned for your Andy Schleck thread.

You were right.

on another note - I have enjoyed several of this year's stages.
I personally think having 5 or 6 riders playing chicken with each other up a climb is infinitely preferable to one rider attacking and miraculously riding away from a group of GC favourites and deciding an entire Tour in one afternoon. How many of those have we seen in the last 30 years or so? Roughly 75% of the years? Worse?

I've enjoyed the Tour so far. Sure there were boring stages, but there always are. I think for most people complaining it's just that their favourite riders are underperforming (Contador for example) or that they are used to cheering on their compatriots and there aren't many this year (Americans). I think it's one of the better TdFs in recent memory actually.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
spalco said:
I've enjoyed the Tour so far. Sure there were boring stages, but there always are. I think for most people complaining it's just that their favourite riders are underperforming (Contador for example) or that they are used to cheering on their compatriots and there aren't many this year (Americans). I think it's one of the better TdFs in recent memory actually.

that might be true for some people, but while i'm glad voeckler has been in yellow all week, it was kind of distasteful how he got it and the mountain stages have had zero attacks from the favorites.

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
After being forced to wait for a proper mountainstage until day 12 of the Tour, I found the Pyrenees to be a very big letdown. It was great that Vanendert won and that Samu gained some time. But the other big guns just raced boring as hell... and not full gas at any moment.. How else could Titi attack them on Plateau de Beille-awesome moment though :D-

I don't know why people's expectations are so high. Often it is one of the dullest races in the year.

So much rides on the race that few take risks. Other than Gilbert (maybe Sanchez excepted) nobody has really made any bold moves. The racing is formulaic. The first week parcours is dull but something needed to be done before stage 12 in the mountains.

Either a long TT in the first week so at least the climbers thought they had to attack early rather than wait, or an early mountain stage which makes big differences.

Positives-

Gilbert
Samuel Sanchez
FDJ
Hushovd
Cavendish
Voeckler/Rolland

Negatives

The tactical racing of the Schlecks
No mountain stage until stage 12
GC battle is dull, dull dull

The most exciting jersey in this tour will be the battle for the white jersey.

Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
collectively this makes it much harder tho. If it just the d'Huez cuddles looks even better. Tho I do think it will be the biggest test for him.
Still depends what we get on stage 18 on a whole.
finishing on the Col de l'Izoard would not be so bad (hard climb) :) But you'd assume weather wouldn't be great there either.

Maybe they would take the finish into Briancon. The citadel has had plenty of GT finishes.
Not sure they have the room to finish a modern TDF at the l'Izoard summit.

Not sure what would happen to stage 19, either. Galibier out, Glandon/Croix de Fer in?

The weather for tomorrow's finish in the normally hot and sunny Gap, if forecast to be foul.

Just because the Schlecks don't live up to their egos and do it on the road does not mean that it has been boring. Contador having the Giro won with half the race remaining is truly boring. Crashes effect some of the GC riders in every grand tour so the "what if's" are becoming a bit tiresome. It's part of bike racing.

Clearly Andy is not in the form he was in the TDF 2010. Contador is injured and fatigued and this has brought them back to the field.

The race is still open and will be until the TT unless Contador regains his attacking strength or the Schlecks can distance people on the climbs and make more than a few seconds on each stage. At this stage I am not convinced that either of those scenarios will occur which sets up the battle for the podium nicely. I have enjoyed the race so far. Sanchez, Basso, Evans plus the three riders mentioned above and with Voeckler hanging on. The lack of attacks has more to do with riders competing at a similar level and trying to save something for the rest of the week. Nothing new in those tactics. Maybe not exciting but makes tactical sense. Phil Liggett expects gaps to open up on the last two MTF's simply due to the fatigue factor. I think that will be correct. It's just a matter of who will weaken. The pressure is all on the Schlecks unless they have improved their TT riding by 100%. I expect Sanchez to try something on the descents but surely they have to start chasing him instead of gifting him back time he lost earlier on. I still believe he is a threat even though others don't.

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
jens_attacks said:
lol seems it's getting even worse.galibier might be cancelled because of a snow storm and terrible cold.

http://www.leparisien.fr/societe/pi...ues-du-col-du-galibier-17-07-2011-1535866.php
This link doesn't say that the Galibier might be cancelled at all. It says that there was a snow storm yesterday and 200 cyclotourists had to be rescued.

The forecast for Thursday and Friday looks fine.

http://meteo.excite.fr/previsions/europe/france/col%20du%20galibier/10958

Sep 27, 2009
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
Maybe they would take the finish into Briancon. The citadel has had plenty of GT finishes.
Not sure they have the room to finish a modern TDF at the l'Izoard summit.

Not sure what would happen to stage 19, either. Galibier out, Glandon/Croix de Fer in?

The weather for tomorrow's finish in the normally hot and sunny Gap, if forecast to be foul.

Perhaps they could go up the Col du Granon instead on stage 18. Of course it might have the same weather problems and I have no idea whether there is enough room on top.
Stage 19 would have to be over the Glandon.