• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France - rest day1 round up

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
General classification after stage 9
1 Thomas Voeckler (Fra) Team Europcar 38:35:11
2 Luis Leon Sanchez Gil (Spa) Rabobank Cycling Team 0:01:49
3 Cadel Evans (Aus) BMC Racing Team 0:02:26
4 Fränk Schleck (Lux) Leopard Trek 0:02:29
5 Andy Schleck (Lux) Leopard Trek 0:02:37
6 Tony Martin (Ger) HTC-Highroad 0:02:38
7 Peter Velits (Svk) HTC-Highroad
8 Andreas Klöden (Ger) Team RadioShack 0:02:43
9 Philippe Gilbert (Bel) Omega Pharma-Lotto 0:02:55
10 Jakob Fuglsang (Den) Leopard Trek 0:03:08
11 Ivan Basso (Ita) Liquigas-Cannondale 0:03:36
12 Damiano Cunego (Ita) Lampre - ISD 0:03:37
13 Nicolas Roche (Irl) AG2R La Mondiale 0:03:45
14 Kevin De Weert (Bel) Quickstep Cycling Team 0:03:47
15 Robert Gesink (Ned) Rabobank Cycling Team 0:04:01
16 Alberto Contador Velasco (Spa) Saxo Bank Sungard 0:04:07
17 Thomas Danielson (USA) Team Garmin-Cervelo 0:04:22
18 Rein Taaramae (Est) Cofidis, Le Credit En Ligne 0:04:52
19 Christian Vande Velde (USA) Team Garmin-Cervelo 0:04:53
20 Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez (Spa) Euskaltel-Euskadi 0:05:01

Points classification
1 Philippe Gilbert (Bel) Omega Pharma-Lotto 217 pts
2 Jose Joaquin Rojas Gil (Spa) Movistar Team 172
3 Mark Cavendish (GBr) HTC-Highroad 153
4 Thor Hushovd (Nor) Team Garmin-Cervelo 137

Mountains classification
1 Johnny Hoogerland (Ned) Vacansoleil-DCM Pro Cycling Team 22 pts
2 Thomas Voeckler (Fra) Team Europcar 16
3 Tejay Van Garderen (USA) HTC-Highroad 5
4 Rui Alberto Faria Da Costa (Por) Movistar Team 5

Young riders classification
1 Robert Gesink (Ned) Rabobank Cycling Team 38:39:12
2 Rein Taaramae (Est) Cofidis, Le Credit En Ligne 0:00:51
3 Arnold Jeannesson (Fra) FDJ 0:01:20
4 Rob Ruijgh (Ned) Vacansoleil-DCM Pro Cycling Team 0:01:42
5 Geraint Thomas (GBr) Sky Procycling 0:01:50
6 Jerome Coppel (Fra) Saur - Sojasun 0:02:34
7 Rigoberto Uran Uran (Col) Sky Procycling 0:03:19
8 Edvald Boasson Hagen (Nor) Sky Procycling 0:03:44
9 Cyril Gautier (Fra) Team Europcar 0:05:11
10 Pierre Rolland (Fra) Team Europcar 0:05:19

Had this idea of looking at the GC and estimating the outcome of the ITT to work out home much time they had to play with or gain in the mountains, but the last days racing threw that idea out the window.

Happy Tommy V got the yellow after saving his team in the off season .

Not so happy how he got it - but that racing I guess

LLS saved his season

Andy and Fränk are the ones to beat at this stage - but as this tour is going who knows.

Thor amazing riding

word to discribe the 1st 8 stages - mayhem

May 13, 2009
Visit site
NO LONGER RIDING

Stage 9
207 POELS Wouter (NED) VACANSOLEIL-DCM withdrawls
192 BRUTT Pavel (RUS) KATUSHA TEAM withdrawls
61 VINOKOUROV Alexandre (KAZ) PRO TEAM ASTANA withdrawls
59 ZABRISKIE David (USA) TEAM GARMIN - CERVELO withdrawls
44 GARATE Juan Manuel (ESP) RABOBANK CYCLING TEAM non-starter
39 WILLEMS Frederik (BEL) OMEGA PHARMA - LOTTO withdrawls
31 VAN DEN BROECK Jurgen (BEL) OMEGA PHARMA - LOTTO withdrawls
26 TXURRUKA Amets (ESP) EUSKALTEL - EUSKADI withdrawls

Stage 8
86 INTXAUSTI Benat (ESP) MOVISTAR TEAM withdrawls
72 HORNER Christopher (USA) TEAM RADIOSHACK non-starter

Stage 7
136 PAURIOL Rémi (FRA) FDJ withdrawls
122 BOONEN Tom (BEL) QUICK STEP CYCLING TEAM withdrawls
111 WIGGINS Bradley (GBR) SKY PROCYCLING withdrawls

Stage 6
87 KIRYIENKA Vasil (BLR) MOVISTAR TEAM outside time limit
28 VELASCO Ivan (ESP) EUSKALTEL - EUSKADI non-starter

Stage 5
186 KERN Christophe (FRA) TEAM EUROPCAR withdrawls
71 BRAJKOVIC Janez (SLO) TEAM RADIOSHACK withdrawls

Stage 4
37 VAN DE WALLE Jurgen (BEL) OMEGA PHARMA - LOTTO withdrawls

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Andy Schleck after a positive test :eek:
:(

Seriously though, these crashes have marred what I think has been a rather good first week.

Only 2 real flatty flat sprints, even though Cav got his obligatory stage wins (1 in very impressive fashion).
Great first stage, and great stage to Mur-de-Bretagne. Super-Besse wasn't bad.

Thor has been a hero!

Going to gloat a little! :p This is what I predicted before the Tour in the "Decision Time Thread"!
There will be exactly 4 yellow jerseys. (Gilbert, Hushovd, Voeckler, and Andy)
Voeckler will get the yellow jersey on Stage 9, but will not win the stage.
Not making that up, here's actual proof I said that.
http://forum.cyclingnews.com/showthr...832#post576832

Don't let me down Andy!

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
b.broadhurst said:
All I can say is that Contador is struggling!!

We should clear that. Today was an uphill sprint, which something what Contador really hates, we have seen that last year, this year at Giro. On stage 4 it was a bit different because the last km was a false flat.

We can say anything only after Luz Ardiden.

vcampbell said:
We should clear that. Today was an uphill sprint, which something what Contador really hates, we have seen that last year, this year at Giro. On stage 4 it was a bit different because the last km was a false flat.

We can say anything only after Luz Ardiden.

Contador doesn't enjoy the short steep sprints, he likes to fire and then find a rhythm on a long steep climb but he is struggling with his right knee which he has fallen on 3 times already. For sure mentally he is the toughest guy around but physically right now he is struggling.

The Tour starts from the Luz Ardiden. The rest day is very important for Contador, first week has been stressful and he doesn't need to rush things in the Pyrenees because he knows if he finds his legs then he can put minutes into others on the Galibier.

He is just going to wait for the summit finishes, there is only going to be 12/15 riders left at the foot of the last climb and I will not be surprised to see him very close to winning on all four. He wants to shove it in the faces of all the French fans and is even more geed up after the booing at the presentation (that's if he finds his legs which at the moment is a very big IF).

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
bjaelkesex said:
So depressing to read that list. Both the size and the names on it will put a big dent in the overall impressions of this tour when we start to look back.

change the dynamic of the Mountain stages to something not even close to what we were looking at before the race

jobiwan said:
:(

Seriously though, these crashes have marred what I think has been a rather good first week.

Only 2 real flatty flat sprints, even though Cav got his obligatory stage wins (1 in very impressive fashion).
Great first stage, and great stage to Mur-de-Bretagne. Super-Besse wasn't bad.

Thor has been a hero!

Going to gloat a little! :p This is what I predicted before the Tour in the "Decision Time Thread"!

Not making that up, here's actual proof I said that.
http://forum.cyclingnews.com/showthr...832#post576832

Don't let me down Andy!

That is some prediction. Chaqpeau.

mewmewmew13 said:
If Contador's knee is swelling then I can't see how he could possibly finish this tour with what is left to come.

You never know the truth with Contador, it could be mind games from him but we will see on Thursday.

If Contador pulls out, Saxo Bank would work for Samuel Sanchez.

jobiwan said:
Everyone get's lucky every once in a while. :D

I hope everyone stays safe, that way the mountains can still be somewhat entertaining!
No. Atm the mountains wont be exciting because the big big favourite has a huge head start. We need Schleck to get a chain problem or puncture or screwed by ASO or something.

b.broadhurst said:
If Contador pulls out, Saxo Bank would work for Samuel Sanchez.

What why?

The Hitch said:
What why?

Contador would hate to see a Schleck win the Tour when he is injured. Sammy Sanchez and Contador are training partners while Saxo Bank have no other GC hopes. They also contain 3 other Spaniards who would want to help Sanchez. CAS and Porte would go for stage wins though.

For example, Tiralongo owes Contador from the Giro and as Vino is out and Kreuziger struggling badly, I wouldn't be surprised to see him helping Bertie on Thursday. Don't forget Euskatel owe Contador for there 2 stage wins in the Giro as well.

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
No. Atm the mountains wont be exciting because the big big favourite has a huge head start. We need Schleck to get a chain problem or puncture or screwed by ASO or something.

I don't know, I mean I still think Andy needs more time over Contador right now, and he definitely needs lots of time over Evans!

Hopefully Alberto will be fine so he can attack!

Although a chain drop by Andy would be sort of funny. I wouldn't put it past him. :p

Really as long as the mountains don't consist of Andy and Frank riding like Horner and Levi up Mt. Baldy, I think we'll get a good show! (Although I would enjoy that result! :D)

b.broadhurst said:
Contador would hate to see a Schleck win the Tour when he is injured. Sammy Sanchez and Contador are training partners while Saxo Bank have no other GC hopes. They also contain 3 other Spaniards who would want to help Sanchez. CAS and Porte would go for stage wins though.

For example, Tiralongo owes Contador from the Giro and as Vino is out and Kreuziger struggling badly, I wouldn't be surprised to see him helping Bertie on Thursday. Don't forget Euskatel owe Contador for there 2 stage wins in the Giro as well.

Ok 2 quick issues with that:

1 Sammy Sanchez is very unlikely to beat Schleck considering how far back he is already.
2 Surprisingly Contador is not the team director of Saxo that's Riis and he has far more to gain by seeing what Porte or C.A. Sorensen can do on their own.

b.broadhurst said:

This makes perfect sense, and it will definitely even things a bit too.

jobiwan said:
I don't know, I mean I still think Andy needs more time over Contador right now, and he definitely needs lots of time over Evans!

Hopefully Alberto will be fine so he can attack!

Although a chain drop by Andy would be sort of funny. I wouldn't put it past him. :p

Really as long as the mountains don't consist of Andy and Frank riding like Horner and Levi up Mt. Baldy, I think we'll get a good show! (Although I would enjoy that result! :D)

Velits, Basso, Cunego, Gesink, S.Sanchez and Contador are all the type to attack so the mountains will not be dull. The group will not allow the Schlecks to dictate the pace and find there own rhythm.

b.broadhurst said:
Velits, Basso, Cunego, Gesink, S.Sanchez and Contador are all the type to attack so the mountains will not be dull. The group will not allow the Schlecks to dictate the pace and find there own rhythm.

I don't believe that Velits will be attacking in the mountains. His breakthrough Vuelta result was achieved largely by grimly hanging on to better climbers and then an incredible ITT. If he's attacking it'll be because he has lost big time already.

Ramira said:
Ok 2 quick issues with that:

1 Sammy Sanchez is very unlikely to beat Schleck considering how far back he is already.
2 Surprisingly Contador is not the team director of Saxo that's Riis and he has far more to gain by seeing what Porte or C.A. Sorensen can do on their own.

1. Sanchez is only 2 minutes behind Schleck, he has a better TT and better team for the mountains, also his form is better than last years Tour while I feel atm Schleck has not reached last years form.
2. Contador has alot of power within the team, for example in the selection of his close friend Noval instead of Baden Cooke. He has more to gain if Sanchez wins and joins the team if Contador is suspended. Porte has shown what he can do by his 7th in last years Giro and CAS will always be a domestique.

TRENDING THREADS