• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France : Stage 1 Rotterdam Bruxelles 223.5 km

Page 15 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
A

Anonymous

warmfuzzies said:
Using the word "uniballer" in reference to Lance Armstrong shows hatred for someone who survived cancer in part by having a piece of themselves cut off. Arguably, such a person has a disability. Is making fun of the physically disabled something CN moderators view as acceptable?

Expressing a dislike for LA the rider/human being is acceptable - but expressing this dislike in the form of making fun of a cancer survivor is hateful and disgusting.

but he wouldnt have got cancer in the first place if he hadnt been.. oh. it doesnt matter..

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
Cyclngnews stage report has a pretty biased take on the Cav crash:

With 12km to go the gap had been halved, with HTC-Columbia determined to give Mark Cavendish his 11th Tour de France stage victory and vindication after his controversial crash in the Tour de Suisse.

By 8km to go, the pair were caught and the fight for position intensified, with Lampre, Cervelo, Katusha, Milram and Garmin all pushing forward to assemble their lead-out trains.

Lampre swamped the HTC-Columbia train with 3km to go, looking to deliver Alessandro Petacchi to his first stage win since 2003. They had Freire tucked in right behind until Cervelo's Jeremy Hunt took him out in a turn, also ruining the chances of Cavendish.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
warmfuzzies said:
Using the word "uniballer" in reference to Lance Armstrong shows hatred for someone who survived cancer in part by having a piece of themselves cut off. Arguably, such a person has a disability. Is making fun of the physically disabled something CN moderators view as acceptable?

Expressing a dislike for LA the rider/human being is acceptable - but expressing this dislike in the form of making fun of a cancer survivor is hateful and disgusting.

The term 'uniballer' was given to Lance by comedian Robin Williams during one of his visits to the TdF during the USPS days.
Lance counts Robin as a personal friend - and didn't have a problem with it and seemed to find the reference amusing.

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Somewhere out there Greipel is laughing.

Especially because he won a stage today :D

but anyway, did seem to be Cav's fault once again, his movement is what created the crash

Best moment of the race was probably Maaskant greeting his parents, or Boom being so happy to be at the front and smiling and waving and pointing almost the entire time

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
I was thinking of starting a Tour of Austria thread but i reckoned it would be duller than the first 180k of this stage.

Well done Greiple for a very big win, Swift 2, Brown 3.

A

Anonymous

pedaling squares said:
I hate those finishes. Spent hours watching nothing happen only to be deprived of seeing the best sprinters and their teams fight it out. It made a boring day even more boring.

Yea, about 30 minutes before the finish, I went to meet an old college friend for lunch. Recorded it on DVR. Got home to watch. Was glad I made the decision to go to lunch instead of ditching my friend to watch the end of the stage. Complete crap. Its almost like they forgot how to ride a bike.

A

Anonymous

fruit bars with eyes said:
well quite- did they actually watch it ? jeremy hunt did nothing except have nowhere to go after cav's crazy left hand manoevre on a right hand turn

Yea, that is not what I saw. What I saw was Cav leaning hard on the guy on his left and pushing everyone in the crash to the barrier. They must have not been actually watching the race if that is what they saw.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
The term 'uniballer' was given to Lance by comedian Robin Williams during one of his visits to the TdF during the USPS days.
Lance counts Robin as a personal friend - and didn't have a problem with it and seemed to find the reference amusing.

And what's the name of the coffee shop in Lance's bike store? That would seem to be a decent measure of how easily offended LA is on the subject.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Wallace said:
And what's the name of the coffee shop in Lance's bike store? That would seem to be a decent measure of how easily offended LA is on the subject.

Ha - Juan Pelota...... and I never thought about this until now... but I had a cappuccino there.....:eek::eek:

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Bertie did fall, if I have a correct translation of his twitter, but nothing really came from it. Also Freire has no real damage from the fall

Barrus said:
Bertie did fall, if I have a correct translation of his twitter, but nothing really came from it. Also Freire has no real damage from the fall
I think he's fibbing. I saw what happened to him. Not a lot.
He reckons he's got a bruised knee.

Anyhow Bottle almost got smashed again.
He just tweeted that he's had some X-rays done on his wrist, but this year, it's not broken.............yet.

Mellow Velo said:
I think he's fibbing. I saw what happened to him. Not a lot.
He reckons he's got a bruised knee.

Anyhow Bottle almost got smashed again.
He just tweeted that he's had some X-rays done on his wrist, but this year, it's not broken.............yet.

Tuesday is going to be hell for him. And AC didn't say he fell, just that his knee was bruised.

TRENDING THREADS