• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France Stage 4: Lorient - Mur de Bretagne - 172.5 km

Page 31 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Nice win for Cadel. Also, Contador showing a lot of fight..gonna be fun. But I have to give the biggest shout for Thor! Jeez! You got to be kidding me. Fantastic ride by all.

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
reyan12 said:
Andy will abandon the Tour next Wednesday i bet!:p

Andy might have nightmares about Contador today. Not gonna make him feel any better.

And of course, Riis won't let him forget what Alberto did today either :D

dlwssonic said:
brilliant everyone was underestimating the strenght of BMC but they are great on the flat thats for sure.

Stop saying everyone was underestimating BMC everytime.
If they perform well in the mountains you can brag all you want, but nobody every said BMC had a crappy team for the flats. We all saw BMC in the Tour of Flanders.....

Albeit being a fan of Gilbert I'm glad he did not win today. His head was getting just a tad big for my liking. Maybe it's just the Sporza commentators getting under my skin with their question of the day ''Is it even possible for Gilbert to lose today?''. Maybe they will settle down a bit now. I do hope Gilbert takes at least one more stage though :D. Congrats to BMC fans, especially ACF, enjoy it.

SiAp1984 said:
AC not able to drop the GC guys on a steep climb- that's new. OK, the climb was short, but it was steep enough for him. If Andy has lost some seconds that's just because this kind of climb still does not fit him (like last year when AC chased Vino down on that one stage on a similar climb). Another nice fact: No stage win for AC. Evans seems to be in great shape. Nice to see him taking the glory. Will be exciting to see what he will be able to do in the Alps or the Pyrenees. Oh, and personally I am atglad that Klöden was also there today.

oh boy now thats funny

Dekker_Tifosi said:
But Andy Schleck normally is explosive as well. Not as much as Gilbert or brother Fränk, but still more explosive than most GC guys. And an ex-winner of LBL and always good in Amstel as well.

So I wouldn't expect him to finish this far behind. Andy did worse than non-explosive guys like Leipheimer, Martin and Gesink today

exactly andy is a very explosive rider i would say more explosive then people give him credit for yet he was beaten by pure diesels. hell he even got dropped by a diesel guy people have been writing off due to a fall for what? month and a half? (talking about basso) not to mention guys like thor and rojas.

ofc schlecks form will appear out of nowhere 1 day before the big mountains ;)

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Whan I saw Van Den Broeck getting a little gap, I thought it was already over, because if someone attempted to close the gap, Gilbert would cover him. And nevertheless, nobody seemed willing to do the work. Until Gilbert himself volunteered. Quite a nice team mate. I normally like him, but that was a shame.
And Andy didn't use his head today. :rolleyes:

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
How dd Gesink go? He was right up the front but seemed to fade a bit. He's better on the longer climbs but needs to minimise loses on the stage to Super Besse.

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
SiAp1984 said:
AC not able to drop the GC guys on a steep climb- that's new. OK, the climb was short, but it was steep enough for him. If Andy has lost some seconds that's just because this kind of climb still does not fit him (like last year when AC chased Vino down on that one stage on a similar climb). Another nice fact: No stage win for AC. Evans seems to be in great shape. Nice to see him taking the glory. Will be exciting to see what he will be able to do in the Alps or the Pyrenees. Oh, and personally I am glad that Klöden was also there today.

I disagree, if I am correct the majority of the attack by Contador was placed after the steepest part. For me more telling was the sprint in the end. Contador is not known for his sprint and the fact that he attempted it and almost got the better of Evans shows how hungry Contador is. I think the gift giving of the giro, and the rumoured gifting of the Spanish championship, will not be present during the tour.

The climb of this stage was prior to and during the stage hyped up to be more than it turned out to be, people like Andy, who is an explosive rider and a rider that does well in the Ardennes classics, should not lose time on such a hill, especially if a rider like Hushovd (who was brilliant) managed to retain his position in the front group

Anyway, I am happy that Evans wins and would be pleased to see Evans win the Tour, although I myself would rather see Contador win the tour.

@ ACF Gesink was in the A Schleck group 8 seconds back

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
How dd Gesink go? He was right up the front but seemed to fade a bit. He's better on the longer climbs but needs to minimise loses on the stage to Super Besse.

He'll probably lose another 10 seconds there.
I'm nervous about it.

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
mewmewmew13 said:
...and this may be Frank's year not Andy's to do well...

i really hope so! first i like frank and unlike andy he isn't that stupid.

second, i am tired to listen to people saying how andy is the big thing for the future when he is 2 years younger than alberto (who knows who is going to end their career first?) and the difference in quality and palmares is abysmal.

SiAp1984 said:
AC not able to drop the GC guys on a steep climb- that's new. OK, the climb was short, but it was steep enough for him. If Andy has lost some seconds that's just because this kind of climb still does not fit him (like last year when AC chased Vino down on that one stage on a similar climb). Another nice fact: No stage win for AC. Evans seems to be in great shape. Nice to see him taking the glory. Will be exciting to see what he will be able to do in the Alps or the Pyrenees. Oh, and personally I am glad that Klöden was also there today.

Your assessment demonstrates your cycling intelligence, which is 0.

Ildabaoth said:
Whan I saw Van Den Broeck getting a little gap, I thought it was already over, because if someone attempted to close the gap, Gilbert would cover him. And nevertheless, nobody seemed willing to do the work. Until Gilbert himself volunteered. Quite a nice team mate. I normally like him, but that was a shame.
And Andy didn't use his head today. :rolleyes:

The gap VDB had before Gilbert closed it I thought he was going to win the stage. The thing to take from this is the Jurgen looked really good for challenging for that podium spot.

auscyclefan94 said:

He seems to be rather weak on these climbs nowadays. When he was 22 he finished 4h in F-W though. Not sure why that changed.
Super Besse will be a tough one for him as well, but in general I can't say I'm 100% convinced he's going to be in the top5 at the end of the TdF. I sure hope so ofcourse ;)