• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France Stage 4: Lorient - Mur de Bretagne - 172.5 km

Page 41 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
c&cfan said:
today contador wasn't afrais of anyone.--ANYONE. he attacked and burned gilbert completely and attacked again. i believe that he was going to chase vdb.

What you believe is of little concern. If he went after JVDB as you suggest he would have, Gilbert could then easily take contador's wheel as lead out. If Contador would have been too strong, he would certainly have been too strong if he was able to jump out of Gilberts wheel. Either way, it was in Gilberts best interest NOT to go after JVDB.

As for Contador not being afraid of ANYONE (hehehe, the caps almost convinced me). He burned Gilbert, sure. But you missed my point: He didn't know it at that time. And if Gilbert would have been as strong as he was saturday, or as strong as he was last month, he would have smoked Contador and would have left him in the dust. Nobody pushes the gear Gilbert does at that velocity. Nobody can match him on such a finish if he is in form, not Evans, not Contador.

c&cfan said:
i believe that vdb did that to launch gilbert's sprint. i bet gilbert tough the same. it really looks like vdb was leading gilbert's sprint but he then exploded.

And again: does not matter even if that were the case. Even if it was also JVDB's intent, Gilbert should have let someone else close the gap and jump out of his/their wheel. If nobody else makes the jump then his teammate takes the stage. It's as simple as that. Don't tell me these race tactics are new to you or somehow don't apply because you don't seem to be able to read the situation. JVDB didn't explode either, he was doing a tempo climb. He didn't even "attack" to begin with. He had a gap, Gilbert should have played it out. End of story.

ESPECIALLY since he said afterwards he was à bloc since the beginning of the climb, why even go after your own team mate if you know you can't finish the job. The fact that everyone else is looking at you even makes this that much more obvious.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
Interesting commentsby Jens Voigt on his blog

"And then there is Alberto Contador, who finally showed himself by attacking on the Mur and finishing a close second. For me, I just think it was a “whistle in the forest”! I mean, he is supposed to go on the attack if he is the best, but so far in this Tour he just hasn’t seemed as sharp. I don’t know what it is, but he just seems to be missing a bit everywhere. His team is not there when the racing gets though. And he is still 1:40 down in the standings."

EDIT: I find it odd how Andy Schleck is saying he is not good on these climbs. He has won Liege - Bastogne - Liege and done well in the ardennes in the past. That is just a lame **** excuse especially when saying it suits Alberto more when AC hasn't had overly much success in the Ardennes nor in stages like this. Secondly, I also find it odd saying that a 6 or 8 second loss is insignifcant. Do these people not watch cyclling? The 2010 Tour was won by 39 seconds, 2007 Tour was won by 23 seconds, 2010 Vuelta was won by 41 seconds, etc. Every little bit of time lost or gained is significant imo.

you are so 2000 and late! hehe.

They did not buy the book..."Every minute counts" ROFLMAO. :D

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:

"And then there is Alberto Contador, who finally showed himself by attacking on the Mur and finishing a close second. For me, I just think it was a “whistle in the forest”! I mean, he is supposed to go on the attack if he is the best, but so far in this Tour he just hasn’t seemed as sharp. I don’t know what it is, but he just seems to be missing a bit everywhere. His team is not there when the racing gets though. And he is still 1:40 down in the standings."

Oh dear Jens, the only GC rider who has looked sharper than Contador is Evans, and we don't know what would have happened if Contador wasn't caught up in the first stage.

Leopard-Trek really gets on my nerves.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
bridgeman said:
Clentador redlined because he is panicking. He should not have gone so deep because he will pay for this in the coming days.These attacks around him will only increase.

Contador won't pay for the effort of that attack as he'd put out just as much if someone else had put out the effort, they're going up hill for Chr*st sakes.

As for the attacks against him increasing-they absolutely should if they want to tax him before the mountains. Any opportunity should be taken to separate him from his team support and apply the heat.
If he's allowed to gradually improve he will still win this thing.

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
Actually i was just looking at the Steephill photos of AC and thought he looked like he hadn't had a good nights' sleep. he's unshaven and well, i don't think i've ever seen him appear that ragged :( as far as his riding form though, i think he'll be okay. he's tough and imo, he's the most fun to watch climb and i hope he finds his fighting best by the pyrenees.

great to see samu in the mix today and vino, too.

congrats to evans on the win. and THOR!! amazing ride!

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:

Wow.. wonder what he has to say about his team mate Andy then? :rolleyes:

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:
Leopard-Schleck has even managed to turn Jens Voigt into a d-bag.

Maybe Jens should ask Lance how well those blog and twitter attacks on Contador worked out.

+1

They are trying to make Contador believe he is not good enough when he just spanked Andy on a small hill? Jeebus. There will be blood in the mountains. There will be 4 high mountain stages and in one of them Contador will put the hammer down with his Spanish guys and the Sörensens riding a killer tempo. We will see where is Schleck1 when that happens.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
You really lost all hope don't you?
Why? Last year Gesink was almsot 3 minutes behind before the first mt stage and finished 6th. As you said, Sanchez is stronger, so he can still finish top 5 right?

I could care less about top 5. He came 4th last year. I hoped he could limit his losses in the mountains to at least be seen as a threat for a while, even if he fades at the end like Frank Schleck 08. At this rate even if he makes top 5 it will be a late surprise and no one will notice anyway.

Samus dream is podium. That too is gone and since hes not doing it in 2012 he will probably be too old by 2013 to ever get it.

Its a shame because ive been waiting for the Samu challenge for over a year. Now have to wait another 10 months till the Giro.

That's shiessehausen from Jens. He and Canc should have been the ones driving Andy up the the final climb taking care of him. Where were they?

Leopard's tactics are plain stupid. Fabian driving the peloton from 8km out to soft pedal home - what was the point of that? I don't think they know what they're doing. They're missing Riis's tactical mind.

Hincapie showed the way to play it. Never thought I'd say it but that's the way to get your guy to the line.

auscyclefan94 said:

EDIT: I find it odd how Andy Schleck is saying he is not good on these climbs. He has won Liege - Bastogne - Liege and done well in the ardennes in the past. That is just a lame **** excuse especially when saying it suits Alberto more when AC hasn't had overly much success in the Ardennes nor in stages like this. Secondly, I also find it odd saying that a 6 or 8 second loss is insignifcant. Do these people not watch cyclling? The 2010 Tour was won by 39 seconds, 2007 Tour was won by 23 seconds, 2010 Vuelta was won by 41 seconds, etc. Every little bit of time lost or gained is significant imo.

So Andy is saying that because be only lost 8 seconds today and not 10 seconds like at Mende, this is a good sign. Anyone want to explain why he is correct? Logic would tell me Mende is a harder climb and that if he was truly better here he would have finished ST. Maybe I'm missing something but he sounds like he is talking out of his bum.

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
paul sherwin exclaiming how "comfortable" andy looks :D...andy was in pain and was still behind cancellara's wheel just when sherwin said it. sometimes i wonder if i'm watching the same race! frank was the one looking "comfortable" right behind andy. indeed, it was frank able to make the cut.

and i thought for sure gilbert would win the stage! ( finally sitting down to watch stage 4 dvr'd)

sammy sanchez is one of my favorite riders too. at least he was up there today.

Escarabajo said:
I think Andy Schleck is in trouble. I am not sure if this is like the previous years where he did not show much early in the Tour and then came back. This time he does not look on form. IMHO. I am happy for Frank's performance. Maybe he will be the leader of their team later during the Tour.

I think it is a little premature to bury Andy.

Before this year, Andy has ridden four grand tours that he has focused on. Second in 2007 Giro at 22, two seconds in last two Tours and after bonking on one stage in 2008, he was probably one of the best climbers in the second half.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I like hearing the trash Twits and Blogs by the riders, its a freaking race not a love in! I hope the hugging and kissing is over with, bring on the war of words to be backed up the next day on the road!

auscyclefan94 said:
Supposedly Wiggins was really ****ed off at the end of the stage today. Possibly at Uran for not riding for him?
Maybe, but it looked like Uran slowed down when he attacked looking for Wiggins. So he thought about him. I know that Evans and Contador were very strong but these types of finishes are the only chances for Uran to shine. Historically these steep short climbs have been his main strength. So maybe if he had not thought about Wiggins he could have had a shot at the stage by creating a gap on the steep section and maintaining the gap all the way to finish.

But of course I am bias. So maybe you need to ask someone else for a better explanation.:p

Dec 18, 2009
Visit site
Escarabajo said:
Maybe, but it looked like Uran slowed down when he attacked looking for Wiggins. So he thought about him. I know that Evans and Contador were very strong but these types of finishes are the only chances for Uran to shine. Historically these steep short climbs have been his main strength. So maybe if he had not thought about Wiggins he could have had a shot at the stage by creating a gap on the steep section and maintaining the gap all the way to finish.

But of course I am bias. So maybe you need to ask someone else for a better explanation.:p

Wiggins was too far back at the crucial moment, he only has himself to blame.

Also, I thought Contador looked very uncomfortable - very different from the Giro.

The Hitch said:
I could care less about top 5. He came 4th last year. I hoped he could limit his losses in the mountains to at least be seen as a threat for a while, even if he fades at the end like Frank Schleck 08. At this rate even if he makes top 5 it will be a late surprise and no one will notice anyway.

Samus dream is podium. That too is gone and since hes not doing it in 2012 he will probably be too old by 2013 to ever get it.

Its a shame because ive been waiting for the Samu challenge for over a year. Now have to wait another 10 months till the Giro.

Hitch, you sound as if someone died. I don't want to sound like an *ss, but stop being so dramatic. It's cycling and you should know that this can happen in cycling. Get over yourself. It certainly is dissapointing if your favourite rider lost a lot of time, but the last few days you sound as if you ended up in a depression only because Sanchez lost time :D

Considering Sammy was the climber after AC and AS last year there is still a lot possible. Ofcourse he's waaay behind allready and his chances for a podium a very slim, but expect Sammy attacking in the mountains. That's something to look forward too.

sultanofhyd said:
auscyclefan94 said:

Oh dear Jens, the only GC rider who has looked sharper than Contador is Evans, and we don't know what would have happened if Contador wasn't caught up in the first stage.

Leopard-Trek really gets on my nerves.

Everyone is involved in the mindgames. Everyone. That sounds to me more like wishful thinking.

Publicus said:
So Andy is saying that because be only lost 8 seconds today and not 10 seconds like at Mende, this is a good sign. Anyone want to explain why he is correct? Logic would tell me Mende is a harder climb and that if he was truly better here he would have finished ST. Maybe I'm missing something but he sounds like he is talking out of his bum.

Yes, it is a good sign. He can certainly afford some seconds because in the time-trial, he will be safe :rolleyes:

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
Jens moving to the darkside ?

auscyclefan94 said:

Did not expect the trash talk from someone I always thought was a classy Jens....
Come on Jens, you're better than the typical scumbags who engage in this tripe.
Leave this low-life tactic to the king of scumbagery, Mr.Pharmstrong et al.

Mont Ventoux said:
auscyclefan94 said:

Did not expect the trash talk from someone I always thought was a classy Jens....
Come on Jens, you're better than the typical scumbags who engage in this tripe.
Leave this low-life tactic to the king of scumbagery, Mr.Pharmstrong et al.

I already mentioned it in another Thread. The entire PR strategy of Leopard is very aggressive. I think they instructed their riders to do some trash talk.

May 27, 2010
Visit site
mr. tibbs said:
04-RTR2OHSH.-640.jpg

EDIT: ACF's new avatar...?

LOL Contador fail! I wonder what his reaction might have been when he realised evans won. does anyone know what happened to gilbert yesterday he wasnt that strong but it also might have been because he used up a lot of energy following contador.

TRENDING THREADS