• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France Stage 5: Carhaix - Cap Fréhel 164.5 km

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
killswitch said:
http://twitter.com/#!/f_cancellara

Great team job today.Thor you imprest me.i am not 100%healthy.sinus is totally blockt and cant not good breathe.had to take some antibiotic

Seems like a lot what I've got at the moment. Sinus congestion and on some meds.

I imagine Jens and O'Grady will still be looking for their chances to cause havoc tomorrow, should the wind be high enough.

A nervous day in the peloton for sure.

If this is windswept I too can see this splitting some of the field up, and some riders getting away in a break and staying away. The small climbs near the end will also offer chances for some riders to escape, and a fast pace could rip some sprinters off the back who can't climb.

Having said that, if the winds are favorable, the the pace is low, we could see a field sprint of some sort.

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
If this is windswept I too can see this splitting some of the field up, and some riders getting away in a break and staying away. The small climbs near the end will also offer chances for some riders to escape, and a fast pace could rip some sprinters off the back who can't climb.

Having said that, if the winds are favorable, the the pace is low, we could see a field sprint of some sort.

I think you covered all basses there :p

Dangerous stage for any GC rider caught up in a split-which is likely to happen:) specially when the race passes by the coast line. A break away might survive if is made of 8 plus riders with a good advantage on the last 20 k-otherwise the sprinters would push hard to battle it out in the last meters...

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Rabobank seem to have hinted at trying to possibly form some echelons. If they can ensure Bobby G is in that front group and put Boom, Ten Dam and Tjallingi on the front for 10KM's of hard riding in some crosswinds splits could be on the menu.

However I cannot get over the cynic in me knowing this will end in a bucnh sprint.

Kiwi Dean to lead Farrar to another stage win...Whiny Cav and his Aussie Leadout to fail again...:D

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
Yeah, I think a little too generic of comment, huh!?

Okay, I'm going to predict Rojas for the win in a group of some 20 at the line. Most GC riders will be together within a minute.

Together within a minute?

Ifa GC rider loses a minute today they have nobody to blame but themselves and possibly their DS unless there is a mechanical involved (Dropped chain anyone...;) )

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
If it will be windy Bertie could get in trouble. But if its also raining the Schlecks could be all over the place. So it will indeed be an interestng stage, also for the GC riders.

Regarding the win, I reckon Cav is mad enough by now, so I reckon he will take it.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
hfer07 said:
Dangerous stage for any GC rider caught up in a split-which is likely to happen:) specially when the race passes by the coast line.
As someone pointed out, the winds are likely to be from the southwest, 14 knots with gusts in the low 20's. If this is accurate, that means the first 80km and the last 50km are going to be tail-winds. I'm not sure how motivated the teams will be to expend a whole lot of energy knowing that they could easily lose that edge on the run in.

That's not to say I don't want to see a split...

[my edit] southwest, not southeast.

May 25, 2010
Visit site
luckyboy said:
Only 4 nailed-on stages for sprinters after this - Chateauroux, Lavaur, Montpellier & Paris. Hoping for my CQ that Cav takes it even though it is slightly uphill.

Saint-Flour (Etape 9)?

A

Anonymous

For people who dont understand Knots (Cos i dont)
2z4a7br.png

TRENDING THREADS