• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France Stage 5: Carhaix - Cap Fréhel 164.5 km

Page 32 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
That's the thing with Cavendish. He's all talk. I would love to see what he'll be like face to face with somebody else. The little p***y will probably cowar and hide behind Berny and Renshaw.

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
Lol, You can't just have people bashing heads in a sprint at 70km/h. It is ****ing dangerous. They both deserved relegation.

you know nothing, it was just a little kiss to let Thor know to stay on his line - Thor does not need a panty-waist like you to decide what is and is not safe - if it wasnt safe he would have *****ed about it, as it is he offerred to take the rap.

wind it in, or better do some racing and get a perspective

May 27, 2010
Visit site
Winterfold said:
you know nothing, it was just a little kiss to let Thor know to stay on his line - Thor does not need a panty-waist like you to decide what is and is not safe - if it wasnt safe he would have *****ed about it, as it is he offerred to take the rap.

Thank you. Totally agree

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
goggalor said:
Well he attacked 20 seconds after the big huge giant red inflatable flamme rouge that spans across the entire road, so you can thank the man himself too. And honestly that's a very typical mistake from his side, he seems somewhat absent-minded. But he's learning I guess, and that was a powerful attack.

I thought it was awesome at the time but now it becomes clear that the reason he was going so well relative to the rest was that he had no intention or ability to sustain that pace to the line.

Pretty funny except that the guy really deserves a break.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
will10 said:
Do you remember that fella McEwen? Or Baden Cooke?

Just askin.

Yes I do. They were always wrong to do that. Always. Comissars and race officials are finally starting to crack down on stupid sprinting behaviour. Yes Cav can be hypocritical given his past behaviour, but in the context of this race, his tone is appropriate and relevant, aka, he's not over reacting. Context is always needed. Cav and Hushovd had zero people round them the other day. Last year, Renshaw was numero uno on the road. That was just ***. Context is needed to discern the true danger of a certain act.

If he doesn't win, HTC have failed. So naturally, he's going to take his work very seriously and leave disheartened when he fails. He'll be worse when he can't compete because he gets blocked or shoved aside.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
will10 said:
Do you remember that fella McEwen? Or Baden Cooke?

Just askin.

Yep, Mcewen was relegated during 2005 for head butting O'Grady.

btw, I have raced, it gets pretty hairy as it is in a sprint without having people headbutting into each other. I guess it would be great to see another person go down and kill themselves on a bike this year because of some morons actions.

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
dont know if it's mentioned, but a Saxo-rider said in an interview that Contador had changed bike a couple of k's earlier, and the rear wheel of the new bike jammed so it was a "smooth" crash into the ditch.

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
Sprinters are emotional

Robbie put in a dig when Armstrong was having a **** one day. Armstrong was all in his face blah blah Robbie all 165cm of his said if you don´t shut your mouth I put my fist in it. or so the story goes.

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:

btw, I have raced, it gets pretty hairy as it is in a sprint without having people headbutting into each other. I guess it would be great to see another person go down and kill themselves on a bike this year because of some morons actions.

For reasonabley experienced riders (even at club level), using your body or head is much safer than not usually...

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Winterfold said:

I love these types of comments from posters sitting in their office or on the couch watching the race on tv. You have zero idea what it's like out there.

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:

Then you should know that elbowing and butting is what you do to encourage errant riders who are straying from their line - it is straying from their line that is far more dangerous.

Butting is not - it just upsets armchair fans who want cycling to be like netball.

May 27, 2010
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:

Fair enough then. At least you have some perspective I guess. I've never seen a crash in a sprint due to a head **** but that's just my experience

Eric8-A said:
That's the thing with Cavendish. He's all talk. I would love to see what he'll be like face to face with somebody else. The little p***y will probably cowar and hide behind Berny and Renshaw.

you can't say that. a few months ago a friend of mine who is a little bit insane sent a guy with a little over 1.80m and around 120kg's that has a good rep as some1 who likes to get into fights unconscious to the hospital with his face all ****ed up. and my friend is the same size as me 1.70m and weights 60 kg, and there was no hitting him on the face after he was on the ground he just punched him while he was able to stand up.

so size doesn't really matter :p

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Winterfold said:
Then you should know that elbowing and butting is what you do to encourage errant riders who are straying from their line - it is straying from their line that is far more dangerous.

Butting is not - it just upsets armchair fans who want cycling to be like netball.

Dude...head butting is not that common...so quit trying to be so macho...go jump in your cat 4 race and feel good in your lycra!

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
Winterfold said:

Exactly. Headbutting especially is a skill taught to loads of cyclists early on. Basically to say to someone **** off, you're getting too close

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
busted on the Cat :D

i'd say it can be worse down here, as the speed and desire dont equate - but that nudge from Cav was nothing like the one from Renshaw or the infamous mcEwan one

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Winterfold said:
busted on the Cat :D

i'd say it can be worse down here, as the speed and desire dont equate - but that nudge from Cav was nothing like the one from Renshaw or the infamous mcEwan one

You are exactly correct...I don't consider what Cav did a head **** at all...just leaning in with his head...much different than Renshaw or McEwan! That we agree on.

auscyclefan94 said:
Well it is okay for Cavendish according to you. I will not pull my head in. I will not put up with such inconsistent bull**** by people like you. YOU are the one who needs to be objective.

When it was Evans in 2008 - whiner, arsehole, can't handle pressure
When it is Cav - lets blame the adrenaline

It is pretty black and white to me.

It is, if you find both afterstage interviews equally ridiculous.

I don't see the similarity though. I see Evans making a fool himself and I see Cavendish giving his (always entertaining) opinion. I don't see Cav hitting people....
This is just comparing the 2 interviews and that's bull**** as well.

Cav can be an ****, but I really didn't think this interview was bull****. Actually what he said made sense to me. The TdF organisers certainly tried to make the first week a lot more interesting with hard finishes. Not the usual pancake flat stages with a finish on a wide flat road.

I don't know if they decided to do that because of HTC dominance, but it could very well be the reason.