• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France Stage 5: Epernay - Montargis, 185 km

May 13, 2009
Visit site
Stage 5 - Thursday, July 8 2010, Epernay - Montargis, Distance 185 km

gr215369_600.jpg

gr214481_600.jpg

I thought to start the new thread.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
EBH for the win, was boxed in today and looked to be the fastest in terms of speed.

Although I'd love to see a footon rider win from a breakaway

May 13, 2009
Visit site
stefrees said:
EBH for the win, was boxed in today and looked to be the fastest in terms of speed.

Although I'd love to see a footon rider win from a breakaway

Ah, Footon. They're fending off last place in the all important team classification by 2".

EBH is a good pick. It's also a longer stage than today.

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Today Thor seemed to be lacking power completely, it was more that then the wrong wheel. He gave up 100m from the finish, which is a bit strange considering he is chasing that green jersey hard. I actually thought he unclipped at first glance, but that wasnt the case.

Id love to see Robbie take a stage win in what is probably his last TdF.

Petacchi looks really in form so he is odds on favorite for today, i believe its a similiar slightly uphill drag to the finish line like yesterday.

Just a note, at the end of today will mark Cancellara's 20th stage finishing in yellow. This puts him second all time in terms of number of yellow jersey worn by a rider who has never won a GC. He only trails Rene Vietto, who had 31 days in yellow. 1939 he had it for 14 stages, and in 1947 he had it for 17 stages. Cancellara is tied with 3 riders at 19, Rudi Altig, Dietrich Thurau, and A. Darrigade.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
Carl0880 said:
Petacchi looks really in form so he is odds on favorite for today, i believe its a similiar slightly uphill drag to the finish line like yesterday.

Just a note, at the end of today will mark Cancellara's 20th stage finishing in yellow. This puts him second all time in terms of number of yellow jersey worn by a rider who has never won a GC. He only trails Rene Vietto, who had 31 days in yellow. 1939 he had it for 14 stages, and in 1947 he had it for 17 stages. Cancellara is tied with 3 riders at 19, Rudi Altig, Dietrich Thurau, and A. Darrigade.

Last 5 km are dead flat according to the TdF website.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Carl0880 said:
Petacchi looks really in form so he is odds on favorite for today,

No one is ever odds-on favorite in a stage of a bike race. Odds-on favorite means that given a betting choice between one rider and the entire field, you choose the one rider.

ttrider

BANNED
Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
Cav got a terrible lead out today....the lampre who went early distracted renshaw who took it up with a km to go as a result he ran out of gas early due to this meaning Cavendish had to slow down, on last years form you would expect him to take it but no, very good tactics from Lampre absolute full marks!

Pettachi very impressive but also the Garmin "lead out men" to simply awesome
Can see it between Dean EBH and pettachi with ale jet as favorite,
Surprised by how bad Hushovd is hes really slow these days

the vagabond said:
No one is ever odds-on favorite in a stage of a bike race. Odds-on favorite means that given a betting choice between one rider and the entire field, you choose the one rider.

Ever ? Last year in every flattish stage of a bike race ... well ... given the choice between one rider and the entire field - I choose Cavendish

Tomorrow I'd say Petacchi vs the field is a good match

ttrider said:
Cav got a terrible lead out today....the lampre who went early distracted renshaw who took it up with a km to go as a result he ran out of gas early due to this meaning Cavendish had to slow down
That Lampre rider was Hondo, and he just did on his own what the entire péloton failed to do all of 2009, which is make a complete mess of HTC's plans. If Cav had to slow down, so did everybody else seeing as with 200m to go Renshaw was on the front with Cav in his wheel.

on last years form you would expect him to take it but no, very good tactics from Lampre absolute full marks!

Pettachi very impressive but also the Garmin "lead out men" to simply awesome
Can see it between Dean EBH and pettachi with ale jet as favorite,
Surprised by how bad Hushovd is hes really slow these days
I'd be surprised if Dean can compete for it over 3 weeks but EBH could get into the breaks in week 2 which could make a difference. Hushovd is just coming off a broken collarbone, he's hardly had any sprint training, so just you wait. He'll get better. He was hindered today by being in Cav's wheel, which any other time would have been the best place to be, but today it just ruined things.

the vagabond said:
Carl0880 said:
Petacchi looks really in form so he is odds on favorite for today,

I would disagree with that. I can think of several times over the years where I would've taken one rider over the field. Mostly hard mountain top finishes and TTs, but even a few sprint stages.

May 15, 2009
Visit site
yesterday HTC was not bad. It was cavendish's speed that was not enough. why blame HTC?

Hondo is strong and clever this year. today will give ale-jet another win.

EBH?will he try to change his route again and block ale-jet? Maybe a good idea for him:D

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
the vagabond said:

There are odds on favs in cycling races. Cancellara was an odds-on fav in Rotterdam for example.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
ttrider said:
Cav got a terrible lead out today....the lampre who went early distracted renshaw who took it up with a km to go as a result he ran out of gas early due to this meaning Cavendish had to slow down, on last years form you would expect him to take it but no, very good tactics from Lampre absolute full marks!

Spot on mate. That happened with like 1200m to go, it was Hondo from Lampre. He got rid of Eisel and made Renshaw go way too early, killing any chance Columbia had basically.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Highlander said:
I just want EBH, Petacchi, Thor, and Freire to finish in the top 4 - it doesn't matter what the order is as I picked them for my fantasy team.

Damn Straight!!

Add to that Mondory the useless Donkey..

A

Anonymous

Moose McKnuckles said:
Sounds like another yawner.

And it is exactly what all the yobbos who don't think cobbles should be in the race would have replaced stage 3 with.

That way the entire first week could have been phoned in.

-myra- said:
And it is exactly what all the yobbos who don't think cobbles should be in the race would have replaced stage 3 with.

That way the entire first week could have been phoned in.

Personally, I think every GT should include a stage like Monte Paschi or cobbles. If climbers want to weigh 125 soaking wet so they can fly up the mountain, well, they'll have to deal with the disadvantages on the cobbles. I don't get this idea that racing should only be done on perfect roads.

TRENDING THREADS