• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France - Stage 8, 195km - Castres / Ax 3 Domaines, July 6th

Page 31 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The Hitch said:
Dont think the tactic from Movistar was that good afterall. Sky just went the same pace they would have gone had he never attacked, and now hell have a 35 sec or so advantage going into the climb but be far more tired than he needed to be.

Not sure. It was after Anton's attack that Quintana's gap stopped going out. I feel like they realized they were not doing enough, and then picked it up.

Don't think it was in the plan to go over the top with only Froome, Porte, and Kenneugh

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
goggalor said:
I'm thinking the whole Tour. Having a guy with you at least until the foot of the last mountain is valuable even for Cadel. It's not like he'll win anyway but I'd like to see him have a good race.

Sky are pulling back Quintana. :/

It is a shame BMC don't have a Porte or Mick Rogers for Cadel :(

More Strides than Rides said:
Not sure. It was after Anton's attack that Quintana's gap stopped going out. I feel like they realized they were not doing enough, and then picked it up.

Don't think it was in the plan to go over the top with only Froome, Porte, and Kenneugh

Its worked fine. Kenneugh can maybe do another 1-2k on Ax3 maybe more. Then Porte can do pretty much the rest of the climb until Froome decides to go.

Broth3r said:
Manolo Sainz bets on Rui Costa on the current race situation.

I dunno what to say, honestly.

He must be insane. No way will Costa ever be able to follow the top 5 climbers here.

The Hitch said:
Unzue should have talked to Riis. Maybe Kreuziger would have agreed to go too.

But Valverde still has Costa and without Kreuziguer, Contador would be left without any super dom.

I was thinking guys like Fugslang, Pinot, Rolland, Martin, Mollema to be honest.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Quintana is a good descender, especially when it's technical.

This downhill is a fast downhill where you have to push the big ring. It's not a good downhill for Quintana. Nothing to do with his technical skills.

I wonder why people don't think

He's a good TTer as has been mentioned many times, so what exactly is his problem here?

I think the surface is tricky today in the heat with maybe soft tarmac.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Quintana is a good descender, especially when it's technical.

This downhill is a fast downhill where you have to push the big ring. It's not a good downhill for Quintana. Nothing to do with his technical skills.

I wonder why people don't think

My guess is they simply can't differentiate between the varying types of descents