• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France: The crash files

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Omega Pharma Lotto's Charlie Wegelius reports;

"Sometimes I wish I had a camera on my helmet, so you folks at home could see some of the whacky stuff that happens in the Tour de France. Take today, Stage 2 for example, there was a crash on a left hand bend in the rain, going quickly downhill. It looked like someone had thrown a hand granade into the group. As soon as I saw my teammate Mika Delage, I knew it was no good for him. He had a big cut in his face and looked to be in a lot of pain. Its never nice to see another rider in pain, but it is even worse when it is your own teammate. Mika is a splendid chap, always up for a laugh, and a really strong rider. We will miss him on the Tour. He isn’t in good shape, but when I think of the speed we were doing, I think that he is still a lucky boy."

Omega Pharma Lotto's Mika Delage out

ps: a great idea for all riders to have "a camera on my helmet"s....in the big tours and classics

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Milram on Twitter: "Bad news for Team MILRAM today.After some days of fever Niki Terpstra has to drop out of the Tour de France 2010".

Not a crash, but still.

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
Plenty of claret flowing already, if the cobbles are wet Id expect even more. Stay in front, stay out of trouble. The pack moaning about crashes, well they chose where they ride.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
i think Charlie Wegelius needs to concentrate on the road and not his gardening hobbies...:rolleyes:

Damiano Cunego's TdF seems crashed to pieces, a stage win is his only hope now....as he was probably hoping for a top 10...:(

Benotti69 said:
i think Charlie Wegelius needs to concentrate on the road and not his gardening hobbies...:rolleyes:

Damiano Cunego's TdF seems crashed to pieces, a stage win is his only hope now....as he was probably hoping for a top 10...:(
Nah, if he's not hurt, this will work in his favour. I doubt he was going for a top 10.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Jens Voight talking to German TV about the stage across the cobbles;

"I don't see it with a crying eye, but I see it with an angry eye. Back in the day, the first time they rode the Tourmalet, the Frenchman that won it, as he crossed the line, he said: 'You're murderers!' I want to take that quote and with all of that emotion and scream it again. Because of this reckless and dangerous game the organizers have played with the riders' health, I lost one of my best friends in bike racing due to a broken collarbone."

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
Jens is a legend, quite poetic with his quotes. He mixes up his native ones with Aussie ones and the result is fantastic.

We love Jens down here, hes almost one of us.

Hmm... before stage four Danish television made a feature of the riders that had left the Tour... they said 9 riders had left but, as far as I can tell, they only showed 8, two at the prologue, two at stage 1, two and stage 2 and two at stage 3...
But if you look in wikipedia Xavier Florencio from Cervelo is listed as DNS-P so maybe he is the mysterious 9th rider...
Gotta suck though... "Yay... I'm gonna ride the Tour! No I'm not... I'm not even gonna ride the prologue..."
What happened to him anyways?

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
RedheadDane said:
Hmm... before stage four Danish television made a feature of the riders that had left the Tour... they said 9 riders had left but, as far as I can tell, they only showed 8, two at the prologue, two at stage 1, two and stage 2 and two at stage 3...
But if you look in wikipedia Xavier Florencio from Cervelo is listed as DNS-P so maybe he is the mysterious 9th rider...
Gotta suck though... "Yay... I'm gonna ride the Tour! No I'm not... I'm not even gonna ride the prologue..."
What happened to him anyways?
He took some pills or something without consulting the team doctor which violates Cervelo's policy so he was suspended. It is however not an actual doping case AFAIK.