• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France - the sincerity poll

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Le Tour - the one?

• no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Mar 26, 2009
Visit site
My feelings about the pro cycling calendar relate directly to my own cycling calendar. In spring Flanders-Roubaix is not just a thrilling period to watch cycling, it also coincides with the end of a long Canadian winter on the bike trainer and heralds the excitement of getting back on the roads. I love that time of year.

On the other hand the TdF is exciting partly because for some reason I ride best in July. Since July is actually a notable dead spot in the local racing calendar, I use the tour to motivate me for my heaviest training block of the year. It helps generate excitement for me when I am able to talk to more people about the TdF, and there is more TV coverage. I love that time of year.

silverrocket said:
My feelings about the pro cycling calendar relate directly to my own cycling calendar. In spring Flanders-Roubaix is not just a thrilling period to watch cycling, it also coincides with the end of a long Canadian winter on the bike trainer and heralds the excitement of getting back on the roads. I love that time of year.

On the other hand the TdF is exciting partly because for some reason I ride best in July. Since July is actually a notable dead spot in the local racing calendar, I use the tour to motivate me for my heaviest training block of the year. It helps generate excitement for me when I am able to talk to more people about the TdF, and there is more TV coverage. I love that time of year.

You say that and you're right. I always start with a lot of motivation in a new year, cycling when it's too cold to cycle etc. Then I get a dip from end of May to June, and then I realize that I need to build my form for my regularly planned cycling holiday in August (once in 2 years normally). Which I'm now starting to realize.

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
+1
Cycling's mid season break. A black hole in the calendar.
Hate mid to late June with a passion.

It is almost as bad as december when the withdrawal starts gnawing at your stomach (and then you thank god that at least there is cyclo-cross). Although even then the news stories are quite a bit better. Transfer season rocks, but now there are so many useless articles about what contenders to watch etc that most of us already know.

Voted no. Spring Classics win by a mile for me. The Giro is my favorite GT to watch and also the first one I ever saw live on TV. Lance just killed the Tour for me, it was so boring and predictable and then with Versus... being a cycling fan in the USA can be pretty miserable. And now that there is no Contador or Andy Schleck I have very little interest in the Tour this year. But I will still watch every stage :)

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Personally, i find the spring classics to be far more exciting. The tour is an overhyped celebration of cycling which i still greatly enjoy but prefer to watch races throughout the whole year (i spend december watching races i recorded through the season such as the classics, giro, tour, vuelta and worlds).