• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France Top 15

Apr 30, 2016
Visit site
Hello cycling fans.
I open this topic to discuss about the Tour de France, know your opinion and share it your knowledge.
Who is going to be the best in the young rider classification?
Who is going to be the best springter?
What about the TOP 15?
Thanks

1.) Froome
2.) Quintana
3.) Contador
4.) Aru
5.) Pinot
6.) TJVG
7.) Bardet
8.) Nibali
9.) Mollema
10.) Gesink
11.) Porte
12.) Rolland
13.) Rodriguez
14.) Talansky
15.) Kelderman

DNF Daniel Martin

Honestly no idea about the first 3 places. I put Froome on 1st place because he has always been extremely strong in the tour and we've never really seen anyone beating him there in a real battle (2012 doesn't count). Quintana 2nd because after the Route de Sud, I can neither say if he is in a good nor in a very bad shape because the competition is pretty bad. And Contador on 3rd place because I hope that he wins and I'm a big pessimist.

1. Quintana (after 2 x 2nds realises he needs to attack a few days earlier)
2. Froome (caught asleep at the wheel)
3. Aru (Will sneak onto the podium when Contador rolls the dice)
4. Contador (top step or bust - its not 2009, so bust)
5. Rolland (yep, I think he'll lose less than 5 minutes in the first week for once :eek: )
6. Pinot (good but not quite there)
7. Bardet (see above)
8. TJVG (LRP will be a distraction until he drops in week 3)
9. Gesink (almost his old self)
10. Mollema (the new Zubeldia)
11. Kelderman (big mover in week 3, will attack for time)
12. Talansky (solid but unspectacular)
13. A.Yates (White will be busting for Chaves to get a Tour start)
14. Nibali (my tip as best mountain dom)
15. Landa (will take over from Porte and Thomas)

Anonymous/DNF/Stage wins only: Thomas, Porte, D. Martin

Re:

42x16ss said:
1.) Quintana
2.) Froome
3.) Aru
4.) Contador
5.) Rolland (yep, I think he'll lose less than 5 minutes in the first week for once :eek: )
6.) Pinot
7.) Bardet
8.) TVG
9.) Gesink
10.) Mollema
11.) Kelderman
12.) Talansky
13.) A.Yates
14.) Nibali
15.) Landa

I can't see Roland riding well. Connondale are slightly stronger but they aren't the best at protecting riders in the 1st week. Yates and Landa aren't riding GC, so i think they will loose too much time. I think Sky will use Landa similarly to Porte last year, make him loose tim in 1st week and save him for the mountains.

If u remember 2014 Nibali was *** at the Dauphine and won. I think Thomas will surprise a lot of people. He was 4th till stage 18 when he dropped off after having worked soo much and after a crash. Porte has only riden a GT once as a protected rider where he has had a bad day 2013. In 2014 he was ill and 2015 he wasn't on GC.

Re: Re:

Oliwright said:
42x16ss said:
1.) Quintana
2.) Froome
3.) Aru
4.) Contador
5.) Rolland (yep, I think he'll lose less than 5 minutes in the first week for once :eek: )
6.) Pinot
7.) Bardet
8.) TVG
9.) Gesink
10.) Mollema
11.) Kelderman
12.) Talansky
13.) A.Yates
14.) Nibali
15.) Landa

I can't see Roland riding well. Connondale are slightly stronger but they aren't the best at protecting riders in the 1st week. Yates and Landa aren't riding GC, so i think they will loose too much time. I think Sky will use Landa similarly to Porte last year, make him loose tim in 1st week and save him for the mountains.

If u remember 2014 Nibali was **** at the Dauphine and won. I think Thomas will surprise a lot of people. He was 4th till stage 18 when he dropped off after having worked soo much and after a crash. Porte has only riden a GT once as a protected rider where he has had a bad day 2013. In 2014 he was ill and 2015 he wasn't on GC.
Firstly, Cannondale certainly can't do a worse job than Europcar did, and second, losing time in the first week has most certainly kept Rolland out of the top 5 (but not the podium) at the TDF, and cost him a podium at the 2014 Giro. Apart from the big 4, Aru, Landa and Kruiswijk at this years Giro, he climbs as well as anyone.

Regarding Thomas, I think he's going to be weighed down by expectations. Yates will find himself in a good GC position early in the second week and try to hold it.

Jun 16, 2016
Visit site
1.) Contador
2.) Quintana
3.) Froome
4.) Pinot
5.) Aru
6.) TJVG
7.) Bardet
8.) Nibali
9.) Mollema
10.) Gesink
11.) Porte
12.) Rolland
13.) Rodriguez
14.) Talansky
15.) Kelderma

Gigs_98 said:
1.) Froome
2.) Quintana
3.) Contador
4.) Aru
5.) Pinot
6.) TJVG
7.) Bardet
8.) Nibali
9.) Mollema
10.) Gesink
11.) Porte
12.) Rolland
13.) Rodriguez
14.) Talansky
15.) Kelderman

DNF Daniel Martin

Honestly no idea about the first 3 places. I put Froome on 1st place because he has always been extremely strong in the tour and we've never really seen anyone beating him there in a real battle (2012 doesn't count). Quintana 2nd because after the Route de Sud, I can neither say if he is in a good nor in a very bad shape because the competition is pretty bad. And Contador on 3rd place because I hope that he wins and I'm a big pessimist.

Last year Quintana definitely beat Froome. Quintana just lost too much time due to crosswinds in 1st week.

Jun 22, 2015
Visit site
1.porte
2.rolland
3.aru
4.sepulveda
5.bardet
6.meintjes
7.quintana
8.gesink
9.frank
10.mollema
11.contador
12.pauwels
13.pinot
14.pozzovivo
15.sicard

RattaKuningas said:
Gigs_98 said:
1.) Froome
2.) Quintana
3.) Contador
4.) Aru
5.) Pinot
6.) TJVG
7.) Bardet
8.) Nibali
9.) Mollema
10.) Gesink
11.) Porte
12.) Rolland
13.) Rodriguez
14.) Talansky
15.) Kelderman

DNF Daniel Martin

Last year Quintana definitely beat Froome. Quintana just lost too much time due to crosswinds in 1st week.

This argument forgets that the race wouldn't have panned out exactly the same way had Quintana not lost time.

Re:

SafeBet said:
1) Quintana
2) Froome
3) Contador
4) Pinot
5) TJVG
6) Bardet
7) Yates
8) Gesink
9) Meintjes
10) Thomas
11) Mollema
12) Purito
13) Nibali
14) Rolland
15) Barguil

I would have to have Porte in the top 15. Could not have Yates in the top 7. Hard to predict what Gesink and Rolland will do. I think Talansky has to make the top 15 unless he falls off again. Gesink has the same issues. But it just shows how hard it is to pick a top 15 and the top 3 pick themselves. One of the BMC riders or Bardet could slip into fourth place at Pinot's expense without raising too many eyebrows. No doubt crashes and bad luck will effect some of the GC contenders or it would not be the Tour. Hopefully Gesink isn't one of them !

Brullnux said:
RattaKuningas said:
Gigs_98 said:
1.) Froome
2.) Quintana
3.) Contador
4.) Aru
5.) Pinot
6.) TJVG
7.) Bardet
8.) Nibali
9.) Mollema
10.) Gesink
11.) Porte
12.) Rolland
13.) Rodriguez
14.) Talansky
15.) Kelderman

DNF Daniel Martin

This argument forgets that the race wouldn't have panned out exactly the same way had Quintana not lost time.

Things would've been different but it is hard to belive that Quintana would've been weaker in 3rd week.

RattaKuningas said:
Brullnux said:
RattaKuningas said:
Gigs_98 said:
1.) Froome
2.) Quintana
3.) Contador
4.) Aru
5.) Pinot
6.) TJVG
7.) Bardet
8.) Nibali
9.) Mollema
10.) Gesink
11.) Porte
12.) Rolland
13.) Rodriguez
14.) Talansky
15.) Kelderman

DNF Daniel Martin

Things would've been different but it is hard to belive that Quintana would've been weaker in 3rd week.
Froome might have tried harder to gain time on Nairo in the Pyrenees.

Gigs_98 said:
RattaKuningas said:
Brullnux said:
RattaKuningas said:
Gigs_98 said:
1.) Froome
2.) Quintana
3.) Contador
4.) Aru
5.) Pinot
6.) TJVG
7.) Bardet
8.) Nibali
9.) Mollema
10.) Gesink
11.) Porte
12.) Rolland
13.) Rodriguez
14.) Talansky
15.) Kelderman

DNF Daniel Martin

Froome might have tried harder to gain time on Nairo in the Pyrenees.

Given how the Tour played out in reality, he would have hurt himself more than Quintana, while doing so. Initially Froome was able to overpower Nairo, but the endurance and recovery were always on the side of the latter.

RattaKuningas said:
Gigs_98 said:
1.) Froome
2.) Quintana
3.) Contador
4.) Aru
5.) Pinot
6.) TJVG
7.) Bardet
8.) Nibali
9.) Mollema
10.) Gesink
11.) Porte
12.) Rolland
13.) Rodriguez
14.) Talansky
15.) Kelderman

DNF Daniel Martin

The 1st week is part of the Race. Also Froome got ill and when he was 3 minutes up didn't need to attack anymore, as he said. But i think Quintana will win because he has improved. He clearly wasn't better last year

Also as much as I would love so see Yates ride GC. He isn't going to as White said as much at the Tour. They are going there for Stage wins which means getting into breaks for Yates. So he is planning on loosing time in the 1st week.

RattaKuningas said:
Gigs_98 said:
1.) Froome
2.) Quintana
3.) Contador
4.) Aru
5.) Pinot
6.) TJVG
7.) Bardet
8.) Nibali
9.) Mollema
10.) Gesink
11.) Porte
12.) Rolland
13.) Rodriguez
14.) Talansky
15.) Kelderman

DNF Daniel Martin

No, Froome beat Quintana.
NQ never came close. Froome's odds of winning never dipped below 50% and in the final week never below 90%. Was fully in control the whole way through. Quintana took back some time once the race was already over.

Re:

Brullnux said:
I don't think one effort on Plateau de Beille to gain 30 seconds would've harmed him that much later on.

He couldn't. There was a headwind, it was the hardest stage in the Pyrenees, and he couldn't drop Quintana 2 days later on Mende, which was the most favourable climb for him in how it suited him vs Quintana. Even Bertie could follow the attacks after attacking and getting caught.

RattaKuningas said:
Gigs_98 said:
1.) Froome
2.) Quintana
3.) Contador
4.) Aru
5.) Pinot
6.) TJVG
7.) Bardet
8.) Nibali
9.) Mollema
10.) Gesink
11.) Porte
12.) Rolland
13.) Rodriguez
14.) Talansky
15.) Kelderman

DNF Daniel Martin

Do you also have access to a parallel universe where my favourite athletes wins everything? Please let me know.

TRENDING THREADS