• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour De France: Unchained aka that netflix thingy

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Always knew cycling and its fans has an overrepresentations of autistics, but this was 🤣🥰

Also I can't believe I'm saying it but now I love Lefevere 🤣🥰

And Mohoric even more omg 🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰
One of the highlights of the season was the jumbo sports director Grischa sitting in the car having thousands of tibot and French fans booing jumbo and chanting about beer on stage 20 when he simply says "thanks for that, Richard" :tearsofjoy:
That was an absolute golden moment! 😻

• Jurdie should have put O'Connor back in line. Not sure why they are scared of him and coddling him all time.
  • Now everyone prefers Hindlay over O'Connor.
  • The English dubbing is annoying. Weird when they have a British accent.
  • Philipsen loves being the villain.
  • Found Orla Chennaoui just regurgitates what we saw already happened and not adding any value.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ripper and sevenall
I understand that Netflix are looking for dramatic storylines and it IS interesting to see what they believe will attract the more casual cycling fan.

That said, second-hand embarrassment had me fast-forwarding through most of the Ben O'Connor Show and the Ineos Not Exactly Borgia intrigues. Didn't mind the posturing and manly talk of Philipsen, Van Aert and Van Der Poel too much, so clearly it's a question of dosage.

The DS parts were interesting and I enjoyed seeing the staff working behind the scenes. Sympathetic portrayals of UAE and BV teams, for obvious reasons. The whole Mohorič interview should have been included, what a missed opportunity to preserve it.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, Pogačar seemed subdued and exhausted throughout. Would have been great to include the interview about Marc Soler's scary eyes just to lighten things up a bit. And I felt perhaps that the focus on Pogačar's loss and what a tragedy it was, was a bit unfair to Vingegaard.

• Haha
Reactions: noob
I understand that Netflix are looking for dramatic storylines and it IS interesting to see what they believe will attract the more casual cycling fan.

That said, second-hand embarrassment had me fast-forwarding through most of the Ben O'Connor Show and the Ineos Not Exactly Borgia intrigues. Didn't mind the posturing and manly talk of Philipsen, Van Aert and Van Der Poel too much, so clearly it's a question of dosage.

The DS parts were interesting and I enjoyed seeing the staff working behind the scenes. Sympathetic portrayals of UAE and BV teams, for obvious reasons. The whole Mohorič interview should have been included, what a missed opportunity to preserve it.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, Pogačar seemed subdued and exhausted throughout. Would have been great to include the interview about Marc Soler's scary eyes just to lighten things up a bit. And I felt perhaps that the focus on Pogačar's loss and what a tragedy it was, was a bit unfair to Vingegaard.
I so wish s3 would be UAE in-house rivalry, but that would never happen since they control their story 🤡

• Love
Reactions: sevenall
OK, so finished it. A few thoughts, based on what was presented:

--Pogacar was in fine shape coming into the tour. He was beaten fair and square, wrist notwithstanding.
--Vingegaard is very guarded; that's just how he is. Visma did well to shelter him from publicity and doping rumors.
--Pidcock is an a**. Seriously. He should stick to XC and CX. He will never be a GC contender unless he gets an attitude adjustment.
--Hindley is a cool guy. I like his attitude. Too bad he has to ride for Roglic this year.
--O'Connor isn't an a**; he's just very, very hard on himself. He doesn't have the temperament to be a leader, but he's still a major talent. No way he could have stayed on AG2R.
--The Roodhoft brothers are also a****. Let's be honest, they got lucky with VdP.
--Phillipsen is hungry to win, but also not an a**. If he's not sanctioned, then it's race on.
--Wout is a nice guy. That's why he doesn't win as much as he should. VdP, otoh, is not, and that's why he wins. A lot.
--The DSs are very, very hard on their riders. Definitely some old school "nut it up" attitudes.
--Cavendish is a very sympathetic figure. He should definitely continue to see a therapist after he retires. He's very psychologically fragile.
--I liked the Bahrain story line.
--Allez Tibo!

All in all, very entertaining and it whet my appetite for the Tour this year.

Maybe it's just me but the Alpecin episode made me actually like Mathieu Van der Poel... for pretty much the first time. I thought his bromance 'villain arc' with Philipsen was hilarious. No sh*ts given about the fine he received either ("the team paid it"). I mean lol!

Their rivals came across as whingy, whiny hypocrites as well. Seeing the Intermarché guy complain when Girmay has also been reprimanded in various races for bad behavior in sprints was quite comical.

Other than that I bailed during episode 5 & I haven't gone back. I wasn't interested in seeing how it ends.

It is, which is why choosing the French version (original) with English CC for the French parts is good. Most of it is in English anyway and it's just wrong hearing those emotionless voice overs

Damn I wish I knew that earlier! Not something I would bother to watch again anyway.

The narrative about Gino Mader and how dangerous the sport can be with Alaphilippe saying "We are nothing" is ironically contrasted with the sprinters and Lefevere saying stuff like "F--k them or be f--ked."

Found that funny.

Reactions: noob

--Pogacar was in fine shape coming into the tour. He was beaten fair and square, wrist notwithstanding.
--Vingegaard is very guarded; that's just how he is. Visma did well to shelter him from publicity and doping rumors.
--Pidcock is an a**. Seriously. He should stick to XC and CX. He will never be a GC contender unless he gets an attitude adjustment.
--Hindley is a cool guy. I like his attitude. Too bad he has to ride for Roglic this year.
--O'Connor isn't an a**; he's just very, very hard on himself. He doesn't have the temperament to be a leader, but he's still a major talent. No way he could have stayed on AG2R.
--The Roodhoft brothers are also a****. Let's be honest, they got lucky with VdP.
--Phillipsen is hungry to win, but also not an a**. If he's not sanctioned, then it's race on.
--Wout is a nice guy. That's why he doesn't win as much as he should. VdP, otoh, is not, and that's why he wins. A lot.
--The DSs are very, very hard on their riders. Definitely some old school "nut it up" attitudes.
--Cavendish is a very sympathetic figure. He should definitely continue to see a therapist after he retires. He's very psychologically fragile.
--Allez Tibo!

I am part way through the series and this rings true for me so far as well. One personal addition I would make ...

Grischa comes across as a really smug doooosh. Perhaps that was due to some really choice editing, but I doubt it.

Also, and I don't mean this to be armchair quarterback time, but some of the team DS are incredibly bad tacticians! I mean, we can see this after the races in some instances and question why they did things, but to actually see them in the cars ... just wow.

Halfway through and watching it with my girlfriend who knows f all about cycling. Funnily enough we both find it very entertaining and fun in our own way. She's figuring out the bare basics of cycling tactics ('why is this guy riding in front?'), I am checking out which characters I like (Hindley, Pogacar) or dislike (Philipsen, Pidcock). I see a lot of cyling snobs on the socials criticizing it for the strangest reasons, but I've already heard from 4 people that they got intrigued by the sport because of watching the Netflix series.

--Allez Tibo!

I don't think you can accurately judge who's an ass or not based on this series. They call it a documentary, but in truth, it is reality TV where they are making up hero and villain storylines for the sake of entertainment.

• Love
Reactions: noob and jono
  • Jurdie should have put O'Connor back in line. Not sure why they are scared of him and coddling him all time.
  • Now everyone prefers Hindlay over O'Connor.
  • The English dubbing is annoying. Weird when they have a British accent.
  • Philipsen loves being the villain.
  • Found Orla Chennaoui just regurgitates what we saw already happened and not adding any value.
I dunno, I like O'connor more know. He's shown he's human. It's very rarely we see that side of the riders.
I reckon O'connor comes away from this with waaaaaaaaaay more fans.