• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de la Provence 2021, France, February 11 - February 14

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Clipboard.jpg

But apparently, it was the extra sprint that was not counted for GC.

UCI rules don't allow that kind of bonus distribution (only up to three intermediate sprints of 3-2-1s), so I guess it was overturned by the commissaire on-site.

There also were some discussions when it was introduced at the Tour, but they don't have both at least, and ASO probably just has enough power to get more leeway

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
UCI rules don't allow that kind of bonus distribution (only up to three intermediate sprints of 3-2-1s), so I guess it was overturned by the commissaire on-site.

There also were some discussions when it was introduced at the Tour, but they don't have both at least, and ASO probably just has enough power to get more leeway

Why the hell can't they sort this kind of thing out before the actual race? Do the UCI not look at bonuses etc beforehand?

I seriously wonder about the role of Hodeg in this team going forward. Unlike Ballerini, he can't win a sprint, unlike Ballerini, he's mostly useless for anything else. I said 2 seasons ago i would have "let him go" because he was basically useless. Maybe if he wants to turn into a leadout man, but i don't know if he has the bikehandling skills for that.

I seriously wonder about the role of Hodeg in this team going forward. Unlike Ballerini, he can't win a sprint, unlike Ballerini, he's mostly useless for anything else. I said 2 seasons ago i would have "let him go" because he was basically useless. Maybe if he wants to turn into a leadout man, but i don't know if he has the bikehandling skills for that.

:mad: He's there for me.
DQS wants me as a fan.
Also he actually can win sprints. Please give him this season before writing him off. Hopefully he gets some confidence. :lollipop:

• Haha
Hodeg has 13 pro victories vs Ballerini's 5 despite being two years younger. That said, I also think that Hodeg is quite overrated.

• Wow
It appears the final KMs of today's stage was the perfect example of what the UCI should be focusing on in regards to safety.

Here's Carlos Verona's comment about the safety issues.
View: https://twitter.com/Carlos_Verona/status/1359904854601326592

Here's the English translation:
The @UCI_cycling and the @cpacycling
They see more dangerous that we go down according to what positions or that we are a squad of 200 riders ... when what really makes our sport dangerous is THIS !!

Hodeg has 13 pro victories vs Ballerini's 5 despite being two years younger. That said, I also think that Hodeg is quite overrated.
Because Ballerini wasn't supposed to be a high profile sprinter for the team. Yet he's a much more valuable asset in most circumstances... and now he shows he can win sprints as well.

:mad: He's there for me.
DQS wants me as a fan.
Also he actually can win sprints. Please give him this season before writing him off. Hopefully he gets some confidence. :lollipop:
I've been giving him lots of seasons, and i'm yet to be convinced. I really think he either needs to find an other team or find a different niche, because i don't for a moment think he will ever become a top sprinter for a team like DQS. He could go to Wallonie Bruxelles or something. He also doesn't seem to make much progress unlike guys his age and younger (Jakobsen, Philipsen...).

Last edited:
I've been giving him lots of seasons, and i'm yet to be convinced. I really think he either needs to find an other team or find a different niche, because i don't for a moment think he will ever become a top sprinter for a team like DQS. He could go to Wallonie Bruxelles or something. He also doesn't seem to make much progress unlike guys his age and younger (Jakobsen, Philipsen...).

Well, he doesn't need to be their top sprinter, they already have at least one... and hopefully Jakobsen gets back to his best, then they have a young one, too. He can be their third sprinter.
The WT cannot afford to lose that smile!!

TRENDING THREADS