• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de la Provence 2022 (February 10-13)

The main event of the week. They've moved away from Châlet Reynard to the easier Montagne de Lure and reinstated the prologue, so the GC battle should be less onedimensional than last year.

TDLP-2021.svg

Startlist

Prologue
Profile-Etant-berre.jpg

carte-prologue.jpg

Stage 1
Profil-istres-saintmariedelamer.jpg

carte-etape1.jpg

Another French race, another opportunity for echelons on the flattest day.

Col de la Vayède:
tour-cycliste-international-la-provence-2022-stage-1-climb-ba0c198ab0.jpg

Final kilometres - not sure about this design, if the wind doesn't blow there is nothing to stretch out the peloton ahead of the twisty final kilometre...
der-kms-plans-etape1.jpg

Stage 2
Profile-Arle-manosque.jpg

carte-etape2.jpg

A different run-in to last year's stage won by Ballerini, but the final 1.7 kilometres are identical to that stage.

Côte de Lauris
tour-cycliste-international-la-provence-2022-stage-2-climb-e640a129c3.jpg

Col de la Mort d'Imbert
MortDImbertS.gif

Col de l'Aire Dei Masco
AireDeiMascoN.gif

Final kilometres - I seem to remember crashes in the run-in to the line last year...
gWbpo5m.png

der-kms-plans-etape2.jpg

Stage 4
Profil-manosque-montagne-de-lure.jpg

272394699_7327672203917395_1197967858202141027_n.jpg

As seen before in Paris-Nice 2009 and 2013. If the profiles are to be believed they are finishing 30 metres lower than in those races, either way, it's at the ski station a few kilometres short of the actual summit.

Col de Montfuron
MontfuronE.gif

Les Mourres (3x)
QER8U4m.png

Col de Buire (2x)
tour-cycliste-international-la-provence-2022-stage-3-climb-890c4e6e59.jpg

Montagne de Lure (as far as the Station de Lure, 4.2 kilometres shy of the summit)
LureS.gif

Last edited:
In two interviews before and after Besseges Ganna said that he was a reserve for this race and asked the team to be slotted in since they have to replace Bernal that was originally on the startlist but, at least on Sunday when he last spoke, they still had to decide. I hope they take him because i want to see him in action in the echelons since last year's Giro when he shattered the peloton on the Castelluccio plain pulling alone.

Reactions: Sandisfan
A couple of those names will definitely be(come) domestiques.
Yes it was a joke. To be fair I can see van Wilder getting some space to ride his own race, and the same might apply to Skjelmose (who could also be a domestique for Ciccone). Hayter i am not sure he will start as he is also on the list for Algarve and the Prov. startlist from Provence seems to include too many Ineos riders. Storer will be interesting as well. Seems like he will get a complete Gaudu free schedule at the start of the season which shows they clearly expect at lot from him.

Personally I am looking forward to see what Ciccone can do. Hopefully he can make his definitive breakthrough this year after all the bad luck he had last year while being in a very good position to deliver some excellent results.

Reactions: Sandisfan
50km/u wind on friday , pretty insane :cool:
Sadly most of it will be head or tailwind, but there's no way the bunch doesn't break into a million pieces next to the ocean between Arles and Albaron.
Thats still more than 60kms from the finish line tho so the question is will it come back together in the tailwind part towards the final circuit.
The final circuit itself is made for echelons but it's mostly tail and/or headwind. Each lap has like 5km where the bunch could break.

TRENDING THREADS