• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de la Provence 2022 (February 10-13)

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
They only have the right to go but they can refuse, and 99% they are going to refuse.

This doesn't imply they'll refuse (article is from December 6th, and now we of course know they've gotten the invite):

Barguil and Arkéa-Samsic hope for Giro d'Italia wildcard in 2022 | Cyclingnews

Warren Barguil plans to ride the Giro d’Italia and Tour de France in 2022 if his Arkéa-Samsic squad manages to secure wildcard invitations to both races. The Frenchman has won stages at the Tour and the Vuelta a España during his career but he has never competed at the Giro.

The Breton now has sights trained on completing a full set of Grand Tour stage wins at the Giro.

“I’ve already won on the other Grand Tours, so I’d really like to complete my collection,” Barguil said.

Obvious reason here is that they want to send good riders to races like Morbihan, Bro Leon, Mercan'Tour and other Coupe de France races which give them free UCI points because every other good team is focussing on the Giro.

Fighting for that WT license by going to a lot of high points races without a stacked field is one thing, skipping a GT to do it is just pathetic imo. Like why do you want that WT license then?

Just sad cause they have a good enough team to send a pretty strong line up to all GTs.

Obvious reason here is that they want to send good riders to races like Morbihan, Bro Leon, Mercan'Tour and other Coupe de France races which give them free UCI points because every other good team is focussing on the Giro.

Fighting for that WT license by going to a lot of high points races without a stacked field is one thing, skipping a GT to do it is just pathetic imo. Like why do you want that WT license then?

Just sad cause they have a good enough team to send a pretty strong line up to all GTs.
Yup, and disappointing for us as fans.

Reactions: Sandisfan

I’m sure they would love to do all 3, but the problem is how horrible UCI points system is.They would decimate their lineups to get more points to get their World Tour license.This is such an ignorant comment, as clearly one year of going all in on grand tours is not as good as 3 years of doing the same with a better lineup.

I suppose it could have been the Giro Director who'd asked them to refuse, in order to leave more room for Italian teams.

Should we make an Arkea Samsic thread?
There was one! :p

I think it's great. And good of them to pull out so another team can participate instead. It makes the guaranteed invites a bit more palatable.

Reactions: Sandisfan