• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de Langkawi

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
the asian said:
Not tipping him for a win, but he could do a top 10. There isn't much competition .

However some of those Asian riders will be peaking for this race hence in ubber form to Europeans. Would be very surprised if Verona makes Top 10, however if he does, kudos to him!

Went through the start list.

GC Contenders

Kash-Astana
Stetina- Garmin
Weening- OGE
Rolland-Europcar
Nino Corredor-RTS
Tomas Gil/Jackson Rodriguez- Androni ( Androni r saying they are not here for GC and only for stage wins, but u can't rule them out)
Monsalve- Vini

So it's reasonable to expect a top 10 from verona. Don't know too much about the riders from UHC but there will be only one or two other GC contenders the max.

Gloin22 said:
However some of those Asian riders will be peaking for this race hence in ubber form to Europeans. Would be very surprised if Verona makes Top 10, however if he does, kudos to him!

Level of Asian cycling is pretty weak. Morton did a top 10 as a 19 yr old in 2011.

Hossein Asgari might be Asia's best chance.

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
the asian said:
Level of Asian cycling is pretty weak. Morton did a top 10 as a 19 yr old in 2011.

Hossein Asgari might be Asia's best chance.

And yet you have to go back many years to find a Langkawi edition where there wasn't at least one guy in the top 10 on GC riding for a small Asian or Oceania Conti team.

Same as we saw in San Luis - this is the biggest pond some small fish get to swim in. There'll be some surprises.

Dazed and Confused said:
yep, a good chance to work on the lead out. Koldo from Garmin used to be able to do some sprints iirc.

He seems to have gotten lost a bit at Garmin. Went from being the #1 sprinter at EE to being 4th-5th in the pecking order now. I bet they work for Van Hoff on the sprint stages.

For some reason you almost never get the big name climbers at this race. They're at Oman and Argentina but never Malaysia. Not enough hilly stages?

I think there will be a surprise winner. Sprint stages will be interesting with just 2nd and 3rd tier guys there. Chicchi, Bos, Guardini, Van Hoff, Coquard, Kroupis...

For some reason you almost never get the big name climbers at this race. They're at Oman and Argentina but never Malaysia. Not enough hilly stages?

I think there will be a surprise winner. Sprint stages will be interesting with just 2nd and 3rd tier guys there. Chicchi, Bos, Guardini, Van Hoff, Coquard, Kroupis...

I am pretty sure Malaysia cannot match the appearance money and prize money the oil-rich Arabs can offer. It is a lot farther to fly from Europe and a 10-day stage race over some very serious mountains in conditions of heat, humidity and tropical downpours are not a good preparation for the Grand Tours. Also it is an HC event so no World Tour points.

There are 5 major reasons why the big names don't come.

Vino attacks everyone said:
Have never seen him perform as good as he did in australia in this time of the year before. even pre ban he started the season off bad

Well, Kash looks slim, and Kirsipuu told us that Kashechkin will be the leader in Langkawi instead of Dyachenko based on his early form.

Let's hope i did not jinx this now.

TRENDING THREADS