• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de l'Avenir 2011 (04/09 - 11/09)

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
You can get pulled out of a race for doing something like that? Some people are just over sensitive... If I was a decent pro cyclist I'd probably do that obscure gesture every single time I won just to **** people off.

I don't doubt it.

Still, kinda immature on hepburns behalf.

Feb 12, 2010
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
You can get pulled out of a race for doing something like that? Some people are just over sensitive... If I was a decent pro cyclist I'd probably do that obscure gesture every single time I won just to **** people off.

Cav did something similar last year and he got slated on here for it.

May 25, 2010
Visit site
All the articles I've seen (and Nielsa mentioned it too) had stated that he was upset for missing the U/23 WC team and that is was Stephens who pulled him, not the Commisaires.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Romain Bardet wins the Queen stage
1 Romain BARDET FRANCE
2 Jesper HANSEN DANEMARK
3 Johan Esteban CHAVES COLOMBIE
4 Warren BARGUIL FRANCE
5 Tim WELLENS BELGIQUE
6 Sébastien REICHENBACH SUISSE
7 Vegard Stake LAENGEN NORVEGE
8 Mattia CATTANEO ITALIE
9 Georg PREIDLER AUTRICHE
10 David BOILY CANADA

Boily stays leader.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Boily... I remember last year in the GP Montreal when he was dropped with still 100 guys in the front group including some notorious non climbers.

Can't say this years Tour l'Avenir is impressing me
Boily is the only guy who made the front group every time (apart from Hepburn) so I don't know if he's really smart or really strong. Maybe this edition is a bit like the one Bakelants won: not really for climbers.

GC

1 141 David BOILY CANADA 21:27:38
2 3 Johan Esteban CHAVES COLOMBIE 00:00:07
3 131 Vegard Stake LAENGEN NORVEGE 00:00:21
4 42 Mattia CATTANEO ITALIE 00:00:31
5 101 Georg PREIDLER AUTRICHE 00:01:29
6 51 Christopher JUUL-JENSEN DANEMARK 00:01:31
7 116 Jordi SIMON ESPAGNE 00:01:38
8 32 Warren BARGUIL FRANCE 00:01:38
9 34 Dimitri LE BOULCH FRANCE 00:01:43
10 21 Tom DUMOULIN PAYS-BAS 00:01:44

theyoungest said:
Boily is the only guy who made the front group every time (apart from Hepburn) so I don't know if he's really smart or really strong. Maybe this edition is a bit like the one Bakelants won: not really for climbers.

Well, the front group on stage one was created by crosswind or something like that on the flats but other than that the selections have come in the climbs. I would say that while Boily hasn't been the strongest climber the time he gained in the prologue and stage one split has been enough to keep him in the lead.

Last year was harder though for sure, with 2 MTFs instead of 1 and a mountain time trial on top of that.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
GC

1 141 David BOILY CANADA 21:27:38
2 3 Johan Esteban CHAVES COLOMBIE 00:00:07
3 131 Vegard Stake LAENGEN NORVEGE 00:00:21
4 42 Mattia CATTANEO ITALIE 00:00:31
5 101 Georg PREIDLER AUTRICHE 00:01:29
6 51 Christopher JUUL-JENSEN DANEMARK 00:01:31
7 116 Jordi SIMON ESPAGNE 00:01:38
8 32 Warren BARGUIL FRANCE 00:01:38
9 34 Dimitri LE BOULCH FRANCE 00:01:43
10 21 Tom DUMOULIN PAYS-BAS 00:01:44
Told you guys Vegard Stake Laengen would podium! Top 10 in u-23 RVV, podium at l'Avenir and 2nd in the norwegian championships should be enough to get a pro contract I guess, normally at least...

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
maltiv said:
Told you guys Vegard Stake Laengen would podium! Top 10 in u-23 RVV, podium at l'Avenir and 2nd in the norwegian championships should be enough to get a pro contract I guess, normally at least...

Have you heard any talk/rumours? Sky like Norwegians.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Hold on there horsey... there are still some stages to go. And the classification is really close. I wouldn't say this GC is set.
Those stages look fairly easy though, he is not the kind of guy who gets dropped on the flat, but obviously weird things could happen. If there's some heavy crosswinds and **** weather he might even move up a place or two, but that's being a tad optimistic I guess.

theyoungest said:
Lol. Tom Dumoulin finishes 1 minute from the winner. Hardest queen stage evah ;)
I know Tom Dumoulin is not a climber. But he's not exactly Kenny van Hummel either.

He did win the Portugal U23 race last year by being in the first group in the hardest stage (with only about a few others). Aside from winning the ITT.
He should be quite decent in the hills and medium mountains (as proven here).

You make it sound like he will drop as soon as the road tilts upwards

Dekker_Tifosi said:
I know Tom Dumoulin is not a climber. But he's not exactly Kenny van Hummel either.

He did win the Portugal U23 race last year by being in the first group in the hardest stage (with only about a few others). Aside from winning the ITT.
He should be quite decent in the hills and medium mountains (as proven here).

You make it sound like he will drop as soon as the road tilts upwards
I know he can make it over hills. But last year he finished on 5+ minutes in the mountain stages.

I've seen footage from the GP Portugal, those were semi-bunch sprints. He was, however, one of the strongest on the hills in Geelong, together with Degenkolb (who isn't exactly a climber either).

theyoungest said:
Lol. Tom Dumoulin finishes 1 minute from the winner. Hardest queen stage evah ;)

Last year Michael Matthews finished 8th total and was top 10 on the mountain time trial and final MTF and he's hardly the new Rujano either.

Point is, it's hard to draw any long time conclusions from these U-23 races.

TRENDING THREADS