• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de l'Avenir: Ukraine Team Out.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
sobering that the first Ukraine rider on GC was 32nd.

would be a syllogism to assume that everyone above is charging, but, it puts it in perspective.

A

Anonymous

blackcat said:
sobering that the first Ukraine rider on GC was 32nd.

would be a syllogism to assume that everyone above is charging, but, it puts it in perspective.

The Ukraine must then be the land of donkeys...

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
I disagree with the statement in the Cyclingnews article that Actovegin is not on the WADA banned list. The banned list includes red blood cells of any origin and Actovegin is a hemoderivative of calf's blood.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
Epicycle said:
I disagree with the statement in the Cyclingnews article that Actovegin is not on the WADA banned list. The banned list includes red blood cells of any origin and Actovegin is a hemoderivative of calf's blood.

+1 ........

Actovegin: Another piece of tangible evidence of blood doping, against Armstrong.
Somewhere in France, July 2000, USPS caught dumping syringes of the stuff, miles from their Tour hotel.
Spotted by those damned frenchies and picked up by the gendarmes.
Only trouble was, not on the banned substance list, at that time.
Lausanne December 12th 2000. The IOC put it on the banned list.
http://archive.sportingnews.com/other/articles/20001212/280096.html
USPS/Armstrong
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...f-armstrong-controversy-is-banned-628598.html

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
Actovegin: Another piece of tangible evidence of blood doping, against Armstrong.
Somewhere in France, July 2000, USPS caught dumping syringes of the stuff, miles from their Tour hotel.
Spotted by those damned frenchies and picked up by the gendarmes.
Only trouble was, not on the banned substance list, at that time.
Lausanne December 12th 2000. The IOC put it on the banned list.
http://archive.sportingnews.com/other/articles/20001212/280096.html
USPS/Armstrong
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...f-armstrong-controversy-is-banned-628598.html

hmm that could explain all the digitial mooing...

Aug 27, 2009
Visit site
Epicycle said:

Check the UK Sport 100% ME program website, very comprehensive and says that Actovegin is no longer banned in or out of comp

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
mektronic said:
Check the UK Sport 100% ME program website, very comprehensive and says that Actovegin is no longer banned in or out of comp

check the riders that 100% ME have riding for it. All the UK Academy squad go thru that team, then off to Sciandri in Tuscany, the Sciandri busted for EPO and takes Millar off to Luigi Cecchini.

There are principals in WADA regulations that cover products that have a similar effect, without naming them.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
mektronic said:

Thanks for that info. Makes me wonder if UK Sport just listed it as not prohibited because it is specifically not on the WADA banned list. The only mention I can find of Actovegin on the WADA site is a report from the 2007 Pan American games which says it is prohibited by infusion. I could imagine an athlete being prosecuted for using it with the broad language of the WADA list.

Hopefully the UK Sport site isn't giving it's athletes incorrect information.

Aug 27, 2009
Visit site
It was banned for a little while, then "unbanned" as a result of a specific study that found there was no effect, that's my understanding anyway.

I would trust the UK Sport/100% ME docs implicitly by the way as they've really done the legwork. Their A-Z list of substances is quite handy

May 13, 2009
Visit site
mektronic said:
It was banned for a little while, then "unbanned" as a result of a specific study that found there was no effect, that's my understanding anyway.

I would trust the UK Sport/100% ME docs implicitly by the way as they've really done the legwork. Their A-Z list of substances is quite handy

Utter nonsense. Check the WADA list page 6.

Artificially enhancing the uptake, transport or delivery of oxygen, including
but not limited to perfluorochemicals, efaproxiral (RSR13) and modified
haemoglobin products (e.g. haemoglobin-based blood substitutes,
microencapsulated haemoglobin products).

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
mektronic said:

I see. What confused me is that everything is prohibited by infusion which obviously includes Actovegin.

Actovegin can be injected into a muscle as a treatment to help recover from injury quicker. Most experts seem to discount it's effectiveness for that too from what I understand.

Aug 27, 2009
Visit site
Cobblestones said:
Utter nonsense. Check the WADA list page 6.

Yes, but the point is that they decided that the derivative Actovegin didn't artificially enhance the uptake of oxygen, regardless of its original base as a blood product.. E-mail WADA to ask if you like

May 13, 2009
Visit site
mektronic said:
Yes, but the point is that they decided that the derivative Actovegin didn't artificially enhance the uptake of oxygen, regardless of its original base as a blood product.. E-mail WADA to ask if you like

It's excluded per the sentence which I quoted. There's no exception mentioned for Actovegin. So, according to their own list per 2009, it's banned. It's included in the 'modified haemoglobin products'. The UK team might want to try Actovegin, but I wonder when someone files a protest what would happen.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
From Nycomed's website (the guys who produce Actovegin)

Actovegin® also increases uptake and utilization of oxygen by hypoxic tissues and cells (which can be proven by Warburg's test) via promoting mitochondrial respiratory function and decreases formation of lactate, as a result, it protects hypoxic tissue. (Machicao, 1993; Kununaka et al. 1991)

I rest my case.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Cobblestones said:
From Nycomed's website (the guys who produce Actovegin)
I rest my case.

We were incorrect on this Cobblestones. Mektronic is correct.

Actovegin is not on the World Anti-Doping Authority's (WADA) list of prohibited substances, but its use is restricted to intra-muscular injections and it is illegal when injected into a vein.

The Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority (ASADA) warned athletes and professional footballers that anyone caught injecting Actovegin directly into their veins could face a two-year ban.

"It's not a prohibited substance but administering it intravenously is a prohibited method under the WADA code and that could result in a sanction," ASADA spokesman Simon Tidy said.
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,23959039-23214,00.html

Actovegin is only prohibited when given IV but that is just because everything is prohibited by IV unless a therapeutic exemption is given.

A

Anonymous

You guys obviously are missing that the team has a herd of cows it keeps for fresh, unpasteurized milk and steroid free meat to go along with their gluten free diet, its the new "doping"...

May 6, 2009
Visit site
blackcat said:
http://www.cyclingwebsite.net/coureuruitslagenfiche.php?coureurid=16831

Grabovskyy's palmares are as good as it gets in the espoirs and juniors. Like Popovych. Now a mediocre pro. The Jamie Burrow syndrome.

Think Burrow is still the best climber in the UK when on a program. They really should get him onto Sky. And he could tt on a program too.

From what I have heard about Dmytro Grabovskyy was that he had a lousy attitude when it came to training. Apparently in his first year with Quick Step he had one or two car crashes, and spent more time chasing girls.

TRENDING THREADS