• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de Luxembourg June 2nd - 6th

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Nah, apart from LiveStrong and Klödi The Freiburg Phantom, the team isn't the strongest one they could field. It's got some riders who look up at Tiago Machado and Ben Hermans (two immensely talented riders who are easily my favourite riders at Omertà Inc.) on the team hierarchy.

A

Anonymous

saganftw said:
LA 5th?a lot better than expected,surprising winner too:cool:

i wonder how fast will those who screamed "he is out of form,he wont be a factor" change their rhetoric to "omg he peaked too soon" :D

Um...it is the Tour of Luxembourg.....and he finished 5th....behind Jimmy Engoulvent. I guess you can consider that a "peak," but I would suggest you are shooting a bit low...:rolleyes:

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
jens_attacks said:
good result for the old man,hope he can fight in le tour,not like last year.

I think it's quite an average result in a minor race, especially for someone who used to ace prologues and time trials in any of the few races he found time to participate in (after fanatically recoinnoitring the Tdf climbs shadowed by a campervan with a ferrari in it proving to the world that the best way to ride up a mountain at 6.5w/kg is to know all the bends and gradients)

Lance once caught Jan Ulrich in a prologue....now he gets beat by French guys and his own domestique...but still thinks he can win the TdF.

This time of the year in 99 he was about to start the Dauphine where he looked like a ferrari in a race of puntos.

If he top 3's in the tour prologue we'll have to discuss it in the clinic.

Right now he'd be lucky to get into the top 30. Noone's going to get that much better in one month without us needing to talk about it in the clinic.

You can be sure that Frenchmen Engoulvent, Lemoin and Casper will be peaking their form for the Tour too. If he is suddenly 3 minutes faster than them in 5 weeks time it will be a joke.

That's even if he is allowed to ride the Tour, of course. It's all gone eerily quiet.

Let's just say that Armstrong is in decent form and let's keep it at that.

Yeah, it's "only" Luxembourg, but guys like Klöden, Voigt, Kirchen (granted, unknown factor these days, but almost always good on prologues) came behind the old dude, and considering the most of top10 is fast guys (Casper & Bozic springs to mind) I would say todays results is rather impressive for LA.

Some amazing team performances from Radioshack (4 in top10), Saur (3 in top4), Vacansoleil (4 in top20) and Euskaltel (3 in top top15) - it's gonna be interesting to see the effect of the hilly stages the next couple of days... Will it be a sprinters (Bozix/Casper) tour or a puncheurs (Visconti/Ivanov/Carrara/Gerrans) tour? Or maybe a big guys (LA/Klöden/Voigt/Flecha) tour?

Hoping for some Saur succes actually.....

Mongol_Waaijer said:
I think it's quite an average result in a minor race, especially for someone who used to ace prologues and time trials in any of the few races he found time to participate in (after fanatically recoinnoitring the Tdf climbs shadowed by a campervan with a ferrari in it proving to the world that the best way to ride up a mountain at 6.5w/kg is to know all the bends and gradients)

Lance once caught Jan Ulrich in a prologue....now he gets beat by French guys and his own domestique...but still thinks he can win the TdF.

This time of the year in 99 he was about to start the Dauphine where he looked like a ferrari in a race of puntos.

If he top 3's in the tour prologue we'll have to discuss it in the clinic.

Right now he'd be lucky to get into the top 30. Noone's going to get that much better in one month without us needing to talk about it in the clinic.

You can be sure that Frenchmen Engoulvent, Lemoin and Casper will be peaking their form for the Tour too. If he is suddenly 3 minutes faster than them in 5 weeks time it will be a joke.

That's even if he is allowed to ride the Tour, of course. It's all gone eerily quiet.

Your whole point takes a massive drop right here.... Saur Sojasun did NOT receive an invite to TDF this year...sadly enough:(

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
RedheadDane said:
Why do I have a feeling you're talking about Jens Voigt? And I'd say he did fight, before he had to stop.

I had actually managed to suppress my memory of how Jens! left the Tour de France last year, but you have brought it back to the forefront of my mind. Ouch.

May 15, 2009
Visit site
saganftw said:
LA 5th?a lot better than expected,surprising winner too:cool:

i wonder how fast will those who screamed "he is out of form,he wont be a factor" change their rhetoric to "omg he peaked too soon" :D

Not surprising. He won the prologue of this race before.

A

Anonymous

Kazistuta said:
Let's just say that Armstrong is in decent form and let's keep it at that.

Yeah, it's "only" Luxembourg, but guys like Klöden, Voigt, Kirchen (granted, unknown factor these days, but almost always good on prologues) came behind the old dude, and considering the most of top10 is fast guys (Casper & Bozic springs to mind) I would say todays results is rather impressive for LA.

Some amazing team performances from Radioshack (4 in top10), Saur (3 in top4), Vacansoleil (4 in top20) and Euskaltel (3 in top top15) - it's gonna be interesting to see the effect of the hilly stages the next couple of days... Will it be a sprinters (Bozix/Casper) tour or a puncheurs (Visconti/Ivanov/Carrara/Gerrans) tour? Or maybe a big guys (LA/Klöden/Voigt/Flecha) tour?

Hoping for some Saur succes actually.....

I wouldn't:rolleyes:

Jamsque said:
I had actually managed to suppress my memory of how Jens! left the Tour de France last year, but you have brought it back to the forefront of my mind. Ouch.

S'ry... :eek: But I have to say; afterwards you really got to see just how much energy that guy has! Come on, he was complaining because the doctor wouldn't let him ride Tour of Denmark!:eek:

And we're totally not talking TdL...

Thoughtforfood" said:
Yeah, it's "only" Luxembourg, but guys like Klöden, Voigt, Kirchen (granted, unknown factor these days, but almost always good on prologues) came behind the old dude,

Psst... Jens Voigt is older than Armstrong... :p

A

Anonymous

RedheadDane said:
S'ry... :eek: But I have to say; afterwards you really got to see just how much energy that guy has! Come on, he was complaining because the doctor wouldn't let him ride Tour of Denmark!:eek:

And we're totally not talking TdL...

Psst... Jens Voigt is older than Armstrong... :p

That quote was not mine. You quoted from Kazistuta and somehow my name got associated with it.

Is it me or has Kloden not been doing as well in time trials as he did last year? For some reason I recall him being much more competitive. I wonder if the year's of wear and tear are catching up with him or if it's just being rusty (out of competition for a few weeks now--though one would think he was in fact training).

Publicus said:
Is it me or has Kloden not been doing as well in time trials as he did last year? For some reason I recall him being much more competitive. I wonder if the year's of wear and tear are catching up with him or if it's just being rusty (out of competition for a few weeks now--though one would think he was in fact training).

I think he's bored just riding around Europe by himself. I'm not sure he knows who he rides for anymore. Think he's just riding for the paycheque. He may have to introduce himself to Armstrong at the Tour.

First up

BANNED
Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
Wow, great sprinting by Armstrong.

Amazing that a GC guy like LA could come within a hair of someone with legs the size of tree trunks like Jimmy Casper.

A

Anonymous

drb716 said:
ThoughtforFood,
I owe you an apology. I was a bit of a *** with you on another thread. Won't happen again.
Sorry.

Not a big deal at all. I am prickly quite a bit here, and you didn't cross any line really. I will argue with a stone, so I only challenged back because I have a chip on my shoulder. That is my problem, not anyone else's. Water under the bridge.

Thank you for the apology, and if I am ever a *** in the future, don't hesitate to point that out. I too apologize if I was snide or anything.

Thoughtforfood said:
Not a big deal at all. I am prickly quite a bit here, and you didn't cross any line really. I will argue with a stone, so I only challenged back because I have a chip on my shoulder. That is my problem, not anyone else's. Water under the bridge.

Thank you for the apology, and if I am ever a *** in the future, don't hesitate to point that out. I too apologize if I was snide or anything.

I thought you gave up arguing with stones because they always outsmarted you.:D

TRENDING THREADS