• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de Romandie

Who wil win the overall?

• Other

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
Last chance for the likes of Menchov, Cunego, Valjavec, Cobo, Karpets... to test their climbing legs before the Giro starts.
Plenty of Cat1 and Cat2 climbs to add to a prologue should make for interesting racing. The parcours sure look interesting.
Other big names who can climb and are down to start:Kreuziger, Evans, Moncoutie and Igor Anton, who really enjoys racing in Switzerland (top 10 in Romandie and 3rd in Tour de Suisse).

Any thoughts on who might win? Podium?

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
ak-zaaf said:
i hope uran is gonna show a few things.

but i have no info on his form.

He sure showed a lot of promise in '07 and '08. One of the more talented climbers in the peloton. Maybe a new Herrera?
Couldn't find any info on his form this season.

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
jaylew said:
I haven't seen a start list so I can't hazard a guess, but Romandie is always(at least recently) won by the winner of the final day TT. Kloden, Dekker, Evans, Botero, Hamilton (twice)...

No final day TT this year, just a prologue on day one.

Zoncolan said:
No final day TT this year, just a prologue on day one.

The prologue is too short to make a difference,but instead of the classic TT,now we have a 15 km team time trial,which could put a premature end to the overall hopes of those who don't have a strong team.
The mountaintop finish is also missing this year,even if there are some hilly stages,especially the one to Sainte-Croix.

Speaking of those who "love to race in Switzerland",Kreuziger should be placed above Igor Anton.:D In 2008 he was 2nd at Romandie,1st at Tour de Suisse;)(with a mountain TT win on the Klausenpass).
I think the eventual winner will come from a team with a top 5 result in the TTT.
Oh.and i wanna see what Fredrik Kessiakoff(Fuji) and Thomas Rohregger(Milram) are made of. They seem to be some promising climbers.;)

A little bit off topic,but i have to say it.:D
Now that Mosquera seems to be out of the Giro,and i assume he was the only big reason for Xacobeo's invite,i wonder if Mr Zomegnan won't retire their wild card and replace them with Navigare or Flaminia?:rolleyes:
He did it last year with that NGC team,when he initially invited them,and a few days before the start,he told them to stay home because Astana were in.;)

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
laurentiu46 said:
The prologue is too short to make a difference,but instead of the classic TT,now we have a 15 km team time trial,which could put a premature end to the overall hopes of those who don't have a strong team.
The mountaintop finish is also missing this year,even if there are some hilly stages,especially the one to Sainte-Croix.

Speaking of those who "love to race in Switzerland",Kreuziger should be placed above Igor Anton.:D In 2008 he was 2nd at Romandie,1st at Tour de Suisse;)(with a mountain TT win on the Klausenpass).
I think the eventual winner will come from a team with a top 5 result in the TTT.
Oh.and i wanna see what Fredrik Kessiakoff(Fuji) and Thomas Rohregger(Milram) are made of. They seem to be some promising climbers.;)
Agree on your point about the TTT, though there shouldn't be huge time gaps there, given that it's 15k. Saxo looks pretty strong on paper, how about Voigt going for a long one, getting a stage win and taking the overall?
Kreuziger looked strong in the Ardennes, but he won't get the best support, cause most of the Liquigas' workhorses are being kept safe for the Giro.
As far as Kessiakoff goes, I know very little about the guy, don't remember ever seeing him race. Rohregger, on the other hand, is a rider who strikes me as someone who is likely to win a stage from a breakaway.
I'm also looking forward to see what Kevin Seeldraeyers can do;), he showed great form in Paris-Nice.

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
laurentiu46 said:
A little bit off topic,but i have to say it.:D
Now that Mosquera seems to be out of the Giro,and i assume he was the only big reason for Xacobeo's invite,i wonder if Mr Zomegnan won't retire their wild card and replace them with Navigare or Flaminia?:rolleyes:
He did it last year with that NGC team,when he initially invited them,and a few days before the start,he told them to stay home because Astana were in.;)

It was ugly last year, wasn't it? No explanation, no doping excuses, just told them: sorry boys, Astana=more money.
But two years in a row?:confused:I somehow can't see it happening.
Shame about Mozquera. He rode a great Vuelta last year. Apart from Leipheimer, was the only one close to Contador on the big mountains.
What a stupid way to get injured, eh?

Yes,it's one of the most stupid injuries i've ever seen.:confused: And i would have selected Mosquera in my cyclingfever Giro team.;)

Now,back to Romandie: i see Kreuziger will have alongside him Sylvester Szmyd and Oliver Zaugg,not Liquigas' finest climbers but they should be very useful.
Thomas Dekker seems to regain his shape,i saw he finished with the favourites in LBL.
After having a closer look at the startlist,Columbia looks strong for the TTT:Tony Martin,Pinotti,Boasson Hagen and Siutsou can win it.:rolleyes:
This swede,Kessiakoff,had a fine Tour de Langkawi in Malaysia,placing 4th overall,and also 4th in the queen stage,which finished atop the famous Genting Highlands climb. Surely,didn't have the strongest opponents in the world,but it's a fine result.
Recently,was 15th in the Tour of the Basque Country,with a top 10 placing on the Santuario de Arrate stage,won by Contador.
Rohregger is the winner of the 2008 Tour of Austria.

I think who wins is very dependent on which riders are there to make a result and which riders are just there to prepare for the Giro. You look through a start list and pick a favourite and it turns out they didn't even really try to win...

Apr 27, 2009
Visit site
ingsve said:
I think who wins is very dependent on which riders are there to make a result and which riders are just there to prepare for the Giro. You look through a start list and pick a favourite and it turns out they didn't even really try to win...

These are the stages of the race:

prologue.jpg

etape1.jpg

etape2.jpg

etape3.jpg

Apr 27, 2009
Visit site
Tour de Romandie: Riders

RABOBANK NED RAB

Clement Stef NED
De Groot Bram NED
Kozontchuk Dimitri RUS
Menchov Denis RUS
Freire Gomez Oscar ESP
Moerenhout Koos NED
Stamsnijder Tom NED
Ten Dam Laurens NED

TEAM SAXO BANK DEN SAX

Bak Lars DEN
Cancellara Fabian SUI
Goolen Jurgen Van BEL
Haedo Juan José AGR
Lund Anders DEN
Mccartney Jason USA
Sörensen Chris Anker DEN
Voigt Jens GER

CAISSE D'EPARGNE ESP GCE

Amador Andrey CRC
Charteau Antony FRA
Lastras Pablo ESP
Losada Alberto ESP
Madrazo Angel ESP
Moreno Daniel ESP
Uran Rigoberto ESP
Zandio Echaide Xavier ESP

ASTANA LUX AST

Bazayev Assan KAZ
Dyachenko Alexandr KAZ
Hernandez Jesus ESP
Iglinskiy Maxim KAZ
Morabito Steve SUI
Rast Gregory SUI
Schaer Michael SUI
Zubeldia Agirre Haimar ESP

SILENCE-LOTTO BEL SIL

Dockx Bart BEL
Dekker Thomas NED
Evans Cadel AUS
Gilbert Philippe BEL
Lang Sebastian GER
Scheirlinckx Staf BEL
Van Den Broeck J. BEL
Wegelius Charles GBR

TEAM COLUMBIA - HIGH ROAD USA THR

Barry Michael CAN
Boasson Hagen Edvald NOR
Cavendish Mark GBR
Lewis Craig USA
Martin Tony GER
Pinotti Marco ITA
Possoni Morris ITA
Siutsou Kanstantsin BLR

TEAM KATUSHA RUS KAT

Karpets Vladimir RUS
Mcewen Robbie AUS
Mikhaylov Gennady RUS
Pozzato Filippo ITA
Rovny Ivan RUS
Swift Ben GBR
Trusov Nikolay RUS
Serov Alexander RUS

FRANÇAISE DES JEUX FRA FDJ

Casar Sandy FRA
Coppel Jerome FRA
Di Gregorio Rémy FRA
Lemevel Christophe
Meersman Gianni BEL
Mourey Francis FRA
Roy Jérémy FRA
Veikkanen Jussi FIN

FUJI - SERVETTO ESP FUJ

Cobo Acebo Juan José ESP
Benitez J. Alberto ESP
Camano Iker ESP
Kessiakoff Fredrik SUE
Serrano Ricardo ESP
Jufre Pou Josep ESP
De La Fuente David ESP
Capecchi Eros ITA

LIQUIGAS ITA LIQ

Corioni Claudio ITA
Guarnieri Jacopo ITA
Kreuziger Roman CZE
Quinziato Maneuol ITA
Sabatini Fabio ITA
Szmyd Sylvwester POL
Vanotti Alessandro ITA
Zaugg Oliver SUI

QUICK STEP BEL QST

Cataldo Dario ITA
Cornu Dominique BEL
Facci Mauro ITA
Malacarne Davide ITA
Schwab Hubert SUI
Seeldraeyers Kevin BEL
Vedel Kvist Thomas DEN
Velo Marco ITA

TEAM MILRAM GER MRM

Barla Luca ITA
Fothen Markus GER
Fothen Thomas GER
Müller Martin GER
Roels Dominik GER
Rohregger Thomas AUT
Scholz Ronny GER
Voss Paul GER

EUSKALTEL - EUSKADI ESP EUS

Anton Igor ESP
Astarloza Chaurreau Mikel ESP
Fdez De Larrea Koldo ESP
Galdos Aitor ESP
Isasi Flores Inaki ESP
Landaluze Inigo ESP
Oroz Juan José ESP
Urtasun Pablo ESP

COFIDIS, LE CREDIT PAR TELEPHONE FRA COF

Brard Florent FRA
Buffaz Mickaël FRA
Hary Maryan FRA
Kern Christophe FRA
Moncoutie David FRA
Sijmens Nico BEL
Taaramae Rein EST
Usov Alexandre BLR

AG2R LA MONDIALE FRA ALM

Arrieta Lujambio José Luis ESP
Bonnafond Guillaume FRA
Clerc Aurélien SUI
Gadret John FRA
Goubert Stéphane FRA
Loubet Julien FRA
Pliuschin Alexandr MDA
Valjavec Tadej SLO

GARMIN SLIPSTREAM USA GRM

Cozza Jason USA
Duggan Timmy USA
Euser Lucas USA
Farrar Tyler USA
Martin Dan IRL
Meier Christian CAN
Patour Kilian FRA
Van Der Velde Ricardo NED

BOUYGUES TELECOM FRA BTL

Belgy Julien FRA
Gene Yohann FRA
Haddou Saïd FRA
Jerome Vincent FRA
Labbe Arnaud FRA
Le Floch Guillaume FRA
Sokolov Evgeny RUS
Sprick Matthieu FRA

LAMPRE ITA LAM

Bindi Emanuele ITA
Bono Matteo ITA
Caucchioli Pietro ITA
Cunego Damiano ITA
Grendene Andrea ITA
Loosli David SUI
Marzano Marco ITA
Zagorodniy Volodymyr UKR

BMC RACING TEAM US BMC

Bookwalter Brent USA
Bovay Steve SUI
Frank Mathias SUI
Louder Jeff USA
Mckissick Ian USA
Moos Alexandre SUI
Wyss Danilo SUI
Zberg Markus SUI

CERVELO SUI CER

Fleeman Daniel GBR
Gomez Marchante José ESP
Gustov Volodymir UKR
King Ted USA
Konovalovas Ignatas LTU
Pujol Munoz Oscar ESP
Rolin Dominique CAN
Wyss Marcel SUI

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
laurentiu46 said:
Oh,yes he is. The startlist is not updated.
He was due to race the Catalunya,but decided to come to Romandie in order to rest better in the month of may.
His own words:http://www.velo-club.net/article?sid=51890

In order to rest better? His hearing with CONI is due in two weeks.
I believe it is more a case of: let's do one more race before they ban me:eek:.
His inclusion on the startlist is a good thing though, he could win a few mountain stages (unlikely to see the big sprinters getting over those Cat1 climbs with the likes of Valverde, Cunego, Evans...), and maybe the overall.
Looks like Vandevelde is in for Garmin. Another potential winner.

Zoncolan said:
In order to rest better? His hearing with CONI is due in two weeks.
I believe it is more a case of: let's do one more race before they ban me:eek:.
His inclusion on the startlist is a good thing though, he could win a few mountain stages (unlikely to see the big sprinters getting over those Cat1 climbs with the likes of Valverde, Cunego, Evans...), and maybe the overall.
Looks like Vandevelde is in for Garmin. Another potential winner.

At least that was his official statement,but i think you might have a point.:D
CVV is good,but Garmin's other big TT guns are not here(Dave Zee,Millar,Tuft),so i don't think the team TT will be in his favour.
Markus Fothen? Since the 2006 Tour,when he faded in the last week,losing the white jersey to Cunego,he didn't impressed.
A stage win in the Tour de Suisse last year is all i remember,and that because Frank Schleck fell into a pretty big ditch a few km before the finish.:D That was scary.:eek:

TRENDING THREADS