• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour des Alpes-Maritimes et du Var 2022 (February 18-20)

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
As I saw it, when Turgis went there wasn't really any space for Bouhanni before it was over.

Yeah realized it after seeing replay, looks like he didn't really sprint.

Bouhanni is level below Ewan and Sagan is old, disinterested and went to Total, so he is done

Looks like there's still people who massively underrate the effect of Covid if you actually get pretty sick from it.
Sagan missed 14 days of training in what might be the most important training month of the year.

I don't understand how Sagan is a disappointment. The guy wouldn't be competitive even without catching covid and not training for 2 weeks. He just doesn't have it in him anymore to compete at the top even if he had perfect winter preparation. People need to move on.

Yeah realized it after seeing replay, looks like he didn't really sprint.

Looks like there's still people who massively underrate the effect of Covid if you actually get pretty sick from it.
Sagan missed 14 days of training in what might be the most important training month of the year.
Sagan is riding as he has Covid 2 weeks ago for like 3 years now... dude is just a lazy ass. And i'm a fan of Sagan, but he doesn't like cycling anymore. Such a massive talent, so sad...

Bouhanni is level below Ewan and Sagan is old, disinterested and went to Total, so he is done
To be fair this year looks like Total suddenly started to resuscitate corpses á la Quick-Step, just think of Boasson Hagen in Besseges and Oss in Saudi Arabia, and a lot of other riders, even barely known ones, stepped up so theoretically moving there is not as bad as could have looked until last year, unless Sagan just went there to take a last paycheck and he isn't even interested in trying to perform at a decent level.

To be fair this year looks like Total suddenly started to resuscitate corpses á la Quick-Step, just think of Boasson Hagen in Besseges and Oss in Saudi Arabia, and a lot of other riders, even barely known ones, stepped up so theoretically moving there is not as bad as could have looked until last year, unless Sagan just went there to take a last paycheck and he isn't even interested in trying to perform at a decent level.
Let's wait a bit to make a conclusions about the team, maybe they forced their preparation in contrast with slow start for the most top riders in peloton. I guess Sagan will be good, cause his talent level is so high, but he won't resurrect for his old form. I'm still disappointed in him, cause with certain level of professionalism he could still be top rider, he is not that old...

Reactions: Sandisfan
Yes, it is the first race. The fear is that he will be playing catch-up trying to get into form for the next few weeks but by that time most of the spring and classics might have gone by. Unless he magically finds it all of a sudden. Which needs to happen quite fast in time for some important races.

Or he will have to hope he is in great form once the Tour comes. If he has the desire and motivation. Another question that needs to be answered.

I like Sagan. Hope he gets it together.

I hope Nairo Quintana wins the stages today and tomorrow, and also the GC.

I‘ve always liked Nairo: in the past, because he was the second-best GT GC rider for few years (behind Froome). And he was (and still is) a great person.
Nowadays, I like him because he chose Arkea as his new team: a team without winning mentality, which cannot pay their riders much money. I like Nairo and Arkea, somehow.
And, finally, Nairo has this entertaining factor: he attacks as soon as he‘s able to. And his face looks A LOT older than his 32 years of age… :)